Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free GM Alignments

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:16 PM
WFP
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not saying this is the case but if it's like many other car factories. the suspension is probably set to some predetermined setting (no alinement) and then farther up the line put on a stationary roll test machine where it is taken up to a predetermined speed where various functions are checked without the suspension ever being aligned. If something on the machine leads them to believe something is out of alignment, then the car is taken off line and manually aligned. Corvettes assembly plants might be different, so I could be wrong on this one.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Drove my car home to Phoenix from the museum. It pulled a bit to the right the entire trip. I took it in and they did a 4 wheel alignment for free - @1,800 miles.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM
Blue Lagoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Complete Care

Link below lists all that comes with Chevrolet Complete Care (and that comes with the Corvette)>

http://www.chevrolet.com/comprehensive-coverage.html

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Also if you did not know gm pays for 2 years of oil changes - cool
Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
But not at your choosing. Your oil life monitor has to be at a certain percentage. My dealer told me between 5-10%. That would be about 7-8k m iles before my first change. I might have to do it TWICE before then myself.
Also, you are limited to a total of 4 no charge oil changes over the 2 year period.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:34 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But not at your choosing. Your oil life monitor has to be at a certain percentage. My dealer told me between 5-10%. That would be about 7-8k m iles before my first change. I might have to do it TWICE before then myself.
Why do you change it so often? You can easily go 10-15K on a good synthetic, with maybe just a filter change in between.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Why do you change it so often? You can easily go 10-15K on a good synthetic, with maybe just a filter change in between.
Because that's what the engineers who know more about the engine and oil life than anyone on the internet does.

Michael
Old 02-22-2014, 01:48 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A
Because that's what the engineers who know more about the engine and oil life than anyone on the internet does.

Michael
Then why do those same engineers program in 7-8K interval change warnings for the car on regular dino oil? And do engineers not use the internet? Because I have gotten my personal philosophy on oil changes from engineers online. And who do you think designed Mobil 1? Hair stylists?

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 02-22-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:20 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Then why do those same engineers program in 7-8K interval change warnings for the car on regular dino oil? And do engineers not use the internet? Because I have gotten my personal philosophy on oil changes from engineers online. And who do you think designed Mobil 1? Hair stylists?
people here need to read evil-twin's forum dissertation on the oil life monitoring system performed on the development of the C5. He was one of the engineers....bottom line: simply go by the DIC info and you will be good...GM put a lot of intelligence into that feature.

Use the search function...it is your friend.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 PM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

I have change mines twice and I am at 9500 miles. its free am going to use it as much as i can since my car is a DD
Old 02-22-2014, 04:35 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Depends on the dealer. I talked with my service rep who said they don't care when you do the free oil/filter changes as long as you don't try to do more than 2 a year. Now this may have to do with a special "Concierge Plus" program at my dealer, who extends the free service for up to 5 years for the original owner. (Car has to be bought at the dealer, of course.)
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Getting back on topic here, i wonder if i change out my lowering bolts with aftermarket ones to get an extra half inch on the lowering if they would still do my alignment check under warranty. I would assume not, but i have also never had a car that was allowed to be lowered by the manufacturer to begin with..
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL-1
You can't go to the dealer and just request an alignment, you must have a complaint or warranty would not pay for it.

Warranty claim processing requires the "3 C's": Complaint, Cause, and Correction.

"Complaint" could be "car drifts to the left" or "tires wearing unevenly", etc..

"Cause" would be "incorrect alignment settings" or "incorrect camber or toe".

"Correction" would be "perform 4 wheel alignment".

Be sure to have over 1000 miles so they don't turn you away until the suspension is broken in.
If you just want to get the free alignment, I wonder what happens if you just tell them the car is drifting one way or another, even though it isn't, and then they "can't reporoduce the problem" during their test drive.

I wonder if they will still do the alignment.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:24 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most car manufacture have 12/12,000 miles for free alignment, with concern.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:59 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
Also if you did not know gm pays for 2 years of oil changes
Originally Posted by BigJoe
That was the case for C6s and perhaps before that. Many are not aware that the service is available.
I'd have to challenge the above statement about the C6 being under the same program as the new vehicles. Check out the link posted in this thread in a later post and it specifies "a new 2014 vehicle purchased after May 1, 2013" I bought my '13 C6 last year in late June and did not get any free regular maintenance offer on it. Of course, I could have paid extra for that program, but it's certainly not free. It'd be interesting to see if you can find the same kind of reference for a pre-2014 vehicle as the one for the new Vette.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC7AZ
If you just want to get the free alignment, I wonder what happens if you just tell them the car is drifting one way or another, even though it isn't, and then they "can't reporoduce the problem" during their test drive.

I wonder if they will still do the alignment.
Why would you want to do the alignment if it did not need it? You're just taking a chance of some service tech screwing something else up or even making the alignment worse than it was. Also, I wouldn't want to waste my time just to get something done for FREE, for something that's not needed.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:58 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
Why would you want to do the alignment if it did not need it? You're just taking a chance of some service tech screwing something else up or even making the alignment worse than it was. Also, I wouldn't want to waste my time just to get something done for FREE, for something that's not needed.
Just because the car is not pulling left or right does not necessarily mean it does not need an alignhment. I'd prefer to have the alignment specs double-checked and have any necessary corrections done BEFORE I get uneven tire wear.

Yes, there is always the risk of Chevy service making it worse.

I usually take a new car to my usual Alignment shop, where that is their specialty and I know it is in good hands.

Still trying to decide which option to take when the time comes.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Not to rain on anybody's parade on the oil change but that's GM Dexso oil not Mobil 1 that will incur an up charge. I had my SS changed under 1000 miles as I do with all new cars and they wanted me to wait till the change oil light came on no thanks. I bring my own Mobil 1 and filter they kindly did mine no charge since I had oil and filter UPF48R I think it is use the same on the z06.
z51vett
Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Free GM Alignments

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 11B250
WHAT!? where can I have this in writing.

and how about the alignment thing? because if I go and tell them this, I will mostly get a blank look and will be told "don't believe everything you see on internet forums"
On your window sticker under "Standard Equipment"... (Oil/filter change)
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

The factory alignment is a little aggressive so if you want good tire wear have street alignment specs done saves the tires. 09 Z06 had tires gone at 8000 to 10000 miles second one 2012 at 500 miles had street specs done got 14500 miles out of stock tires have 12000 miles on the Mich tires still got good tread may make 20000 on these.
z51vett
Doug
Old 04-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Getting back on topic here, i wonder if i change out my lowering bolts with aftermarket ones to get an extra half inch on the lowering if they would still do my alignment check under warranty. I would assume not, but i have also never had a car that was allowed to be lowered by the manufacturer to begin with..
When you screw with the suspension the warranty for that system is voided. Maybe if you only lower it a little and don't mention anything about it, might get away with it. What I have read that the factory ride height among various cars can be different. Wonder why? You would think that there is a standard height in the assembly manual.

Quick Reply: Free GM Alignments