C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How many would purchase a new C7 or have bought one without a Test Drive?
No Test Drive needed for me.
61.36%
I would not buy a new C7 without a Test Drive.
23.38%
Does not matter, I could go either way.
15.26%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

C7 Test Drive Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

38, never drove a corvette before, ordered it in April first time I even saw a C7 was when I went to the dealership in September to pick mine up. Was able to test drive my Panamera because they had a demo car (although at the time they only had a V6 demo car and not the 8 like I was looking for) but took delivery of my Gallardo without a test drive.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by teejake
Bought my C5, no test drive. Bought my C6, no test drive. No need for me to start with a C7.
C3, C4, C5, C6 Z. All ordered, except the '08 Z, without driving one 1st. Never been disappointed.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
Not an option for early buyers.
Still not an option for most people yet today.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
After the responses I got on my Test Drive Thread I thought I would set up this poll and try to make it a little more scientific.
I see what you're trying to accomplish, but it's anything but scientific. What you have as voters here is a large amount of buyers that bought and had it shipped across the country. Still others ordered without any availability of the C7. -There were none. There was no opportunity to test drive before buying. Of course they're going to say; I didn't/don't want a test drive. -There was no car present.

I, as you and your Wife was refused a test drive to decide whether I wanted to buy the C7 I was looking at. Big difference between our experiences with those buying in absentia.....

Originally Posted by Blackdevil77
Only reason I'd need a test drive is to make sure everything is running properly, so the test drive would have to be on the exact car I plan on purchasing, not a test drive model they have laying around.
Yup.

Agreed, that is what we intended, if my wife liked the way it drove we would have tried to purchase it.
Same here......

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I guess I'm in the minority, but I would not buy a car in the corvettes price range, unless I test drove it. If a car was not available, I would put down a refundable deposit with the contingent to test drive before final purchase.
There's several reasons why there's a minority here. I illuminated several of the reasons why above.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

6th Vette I have bought new, I have not test drove any of them. I just don't see the need to drive them, I have never regretted not test driving any of them.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:50 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a corvette fan boy site. of course everyone you ask on here are going to buy.

But the new, younger buyers that Harlan Charles is after, are coming from someother brand. They need to have Corvette to test drive, for the other people looking to buy, That have not owned 7 corvettes, like most to the old boys on this forum.

You have to go one of the mega dealers to get a test drive. And I was treated with much more respect by the Porsche and Lexus dealer. Than I was by salesman at Ford and Chevy. Which kinda makes sense, most people with not much money. Don't shop for lexus and Porsche.

But still, some salesman for ford and chevy are little rude. So I went somewhere else. Plain and simple.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:03 PM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Navy Vet
I was offered a test drive before I ordered. I declined.... I didn't need to.

The first time I ever drove a corvette was the day I picked mine up.
Exactly!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:20 PM
jonparks
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I think because I had a C6 and read as much as I could find about the C6, a test drive was not needed. Had I come from another brand sports car, I would have probably wanted a test drive.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:53 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

No test drive. In fact, I hadn't even seen the car in person when I picked mine up.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

No need on this model! However I read as many of the reviews I could find. I figured they could not all be wrong.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Answer this if you voted that you would not buy the car without a test drive....

What on earth do you think a test drive would uncover that you already did not know? Would you refuse to buy a Corvette based on a test drive? If you answered yes to the second question then..What do you drive now?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:20 PM
fun2fly
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

460HP, 465 torque, 3300 lbs, great handling, what's not to like. I did not even see one yet. I'm not way out there on body build, 5'8" and a bit stocky so I'm sure it'll fit me Ok. My Mazda3 has 160 HP so I'm sure I'll like a stump pulling 460 HP V8.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Bill17601
Answer this if you voted that you would not buy the car without a test drive....

What on earth do you think a test drive would uncover that you already did not know? Would you refuse to buy a Corvette based on a test drive? If you answered yes to the second question then..What do you drive now?
So, from my perspective, I am interested in buying the specific car I am driving, therefore I want to see how it sounds when I start it, see how it idles, then I want to see how much pick up it has, how does it handle? Do I like the way the suspension feels, because I don't really care what the professional reviewers say, I care how I feel about the car. Does the exhaust sound the way I would expect under hard acceleration, moderate and cruising? I listen for any odd noises, I feel for any strange or odd vibrations or shudders, does the clutch release the way it should or does the transmission shift correctly. How much interior noise is there, with the windows up or windows down; in the case of a 'vert, same thing, how much wind is the with the top and windows down, etc, etc. If I found something not to my liking with the specific car I was driving, no, I would not buy it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

So, from my perspective, I am interested in buying the specific car I am driving, therefore I want to see how it sounds when I start it, see how it idles, then I want to see how much pick up it has, how does it handle? Do I like the way the suspension feels, because I don't really care what the professional reviewers say, I care how I feel about the car. Does the exhaust sound the way I would expect under hard acceleration, moderate and cruising? I listen for any odd noises, I feel for any strange or odd vibrations or shudders, does the clutch release the way it should or does the transmission shift correctly. How much interior noise is there, with the windows up or windows down; in the case of a 'vert, same thing, how much wind is the with the top and windows down, etc, etc. If I found something not to my liking with the specific car I was driving, no, I would not buy it.
Obviously you are not a Corvette person. A Corvette person knows that each generation is better then the last. It is a tradition. I started with a 1962.. You bought a C6? Again your should know a C7 is a better car. Only 99% of all reports should convince you if nothing else. But if you were to chose your C6 over a C7 it would be beyond absurd.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Too-Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 794 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Obviously you are not a Corvette person. A Corvette person knows that each generation is better then the last. It is a tradition. I started with a 1962.. You bought a C6? Again your should know a C7 is a better car. Only 99% of all reports should convince you if nothing else. But if you were to chose your C6 over a C7 it would be beyond absurd.
OK, this has to be a joke right, I mean your response is not a serious one, I am sure (?).

Just in case you are serious though, I offer the following: Bought my first vette in 1980, new, I am on my fourth, have owned a C3, C4, C5 and C6. My post had nothing to do with whether or not I bought a C6 instead of a C7. I bought my 2011, IO, Z06/Z07 (new) before the C7 came out. And by the way, no offense to my C7 brethren, I would not trade my C6/C7 Z07 for a 2014 C7 if they did an even swap or gave me money. Now the 2015 Z06/Z07 is another story...seriously thinking about that one.

But then again, I know you must have been kidding, eh?
Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

OK, this has to be a joke right, I mean your response is not a serious one, I am sure (?).

Just in case you are serious though, I offer the following: Bought my first vette in 1980, new, I am on my fourth, have owned a C3, C4, C5 and C6. My post had nothing to do with whether or not I bought a C6 instead of a C7. I bought my 2011, IO, Z06/Z07 (new) before the C7 came out. And by the way, no offense to my C7 brethren, I would not trade my C6/C7 Z07 for a 2014 C7 if they did an even swap or gave me money. Now the 2015 Z06/Z07 is another story...seriously thinking about that one.

Not kidding. I think your insistence on on a test drive before you buy a corvette is beyond belief. All the experience you have had? I just do not believe you. You are just posturing like your opinion is greater then all the truths you have read on the Forum and in print. Like we anyone is waiting for your test drive, like it truly would make any difference. Take your ego and go home.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K3Z06
This is a corvette fan boy site. of course everyone you ask on here are going to buy.

But the new, younger buyers that Harlan Charles is after, are coming from someother brand. They need to have Corvette to test drive, for the other people looking to buy, That have not owned 7 corvettes, like most to the old boys on this forum.

You have to go one of the mega dealers to get a test drive. And I was treated with much more respect by the Porsche and Lexus dealer. Than I was by salesman at Ford and Chevy. Which kinda makes sense, most people with not much money. Don't shop for lexus and Porsche.

But still, some salesman for ford and chevy are little rude. So I went somewhere else. Plain and simple.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Test Drive Poll

Old 02-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Many on this forum will not say anything negative about a Vette even if they do think it, it is a strange forum from that stand-point.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Not kidding. I think your insistence on on a test drive before you buy a corvette is beyond belief. All the experience you have had? I just do not believe you. You are just posturing like your opinion is greater then all the truths you have read on the Forum and in print. Like we anyone is waiting for your test drive, like it truly would make any difference. Take your ego and go home.
Wow you honestly can't be serious?? Most people test drive cars, it makes a huge difference, especially if you can drive several candidates back to back. I don't see how anyone can think that wouldn't make a difference unless they are closed minded and/or ignorant.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Tom45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always done a test drive of every car I have ever purchased. However, I have never changed my mind about purchasing the car because of the test drive.

Quick Reply: C7 Test Drive Poll