Frustrating Dealer Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Frustrating Dealer Experience

I am curious if anyone else has encountered a similar experience in buying their C7. So my wife has been in the market to replace her current car and has been looking at the BMW Z4, Jaguar, MB CLK250/350, etc. I suggested she take a look at the C7 convertible. This morning we headed over to a local Chevy dealer in the Katy, TX area, who had a couple of 'verts in stock. We met with a salesperson and look over the car, get inside, start it and then ask to take a test drive. The salesperson says, "oh, we can't do that, Corvette owners are very particular about low miles". So I ask how is my wife supposed to know if she likes the car? Well, if we go through numbers and make a deal then you can drive it (???). Needless to say, we left and ended up at the MB store and that is what she got.

I had heard of one other store in Colorado Springs that tried to behave this way...anyone else encounter this with a C7 purchase or attempted purchase?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:18 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I am curious if anyone else has encountered a similar experience in buying their C7. So my wife has been in the market to replace her current car and has been looking at the BMW Z4, Jaguar, MB CLK250/350, etc. I suggested she take a look at the C7 convertible. This morning we headed over to a local Chevy dealer in the Katy, TX area, who had a couple of 'verts in stock. We met with a salesperson and look over the car, get inside, start it and then ask to take a test drive. The salesperson says, "oh, we can't do that, Corvette owners are very particular about low miles". So I ask how is my wife supposed to know if she likes the car? Well, if we go through numbers and make a deal then you can drive it (???). Needless to say, we left and ended up at the MB store and that is what she got.

I had heard of one other store in Colorado Springs that tried to behave this way...anyone else encounter this with a C7 purchase or attempted purchase?
Hate to break the news, but most dealers are the same. I've never driven the C7 (and I'd venture to guess most here didn't) before ordering one. Just part of the process. You either want it or not.

Maybe late summer dealers will have enough for demo units, but I don't blame them at all.

Seems like she wanted a new MB anyways, so dealer did the right thing.

Last edited by ATX-C7; 02-15-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
Hate to break the news, but most dealers are the same. I've never driven the C7 (and I'd venture to guess most here didn't) before ordering one. Just part of the process. You either want it or not.

Maybe late summer dealers will have enough for demo units, but I don't blame them at all.
Never bought a car without driving it, ever, not even my 2011 Z06/Z07...drove that and the dealer did not even blink.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Never bought a car without driving it, ever, not even my 2011 Z06/Z07...drove that and the dealer did not even blink.
Times have changed...sorry. Don't know any dealer in Texas (or probably anywhere) just letting people come in and test drive a C7--not matter 'how serious' they are.

Again, can't blame him. They don't have enough stock, so why offer test rides when people are buying them sight unseen.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:40 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought my C7 without driving it. With the C7, I didn't need to because I knew I would love it. I also bought my 09 Z06 without driving it but that was simply because I didn't want to drive it before working out the numbers. I didn't want to risk a fatal attraction compulsion buy after a test drive.

That said, with so few C7's sitting on most dealer lots, it's tough to find one offering test drives. For most dealers, they sell as fast as they can get their hands on them and in most cases, the typical dealer can't replenish their inventory fast enough due to allocations, constraints and build times. In a year or so when they are more readily available and flooring fees are being racked up on dealer inventory, that will most certainly change. It was the same way when the C6 first came out too. For people not willing to take a leap of faith when buying the C7, it's going to be several more months before there are enough in dealers inventory. At this stage most dealers are just not willing to allow test drives without running the numbers and credit to be 100% certain that the prospective buyer isn't just another tire kicker. As exciting and new as this car is, every Tom, Dick and Harry would love to take one for a spin regardless of whether they can afford it or not.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:45 PM
LS6GXP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

. Just to point it out one more time. Your 2011 Z06 had been avail since late 2006 so there is a big difference as to how long the car has been available. Not to say that your wrong just in timing.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LS6GXP
. Just to point it out one more time. Your 2011 Z06 had been avail since late 2006 so there is a big difference as to how long the car has been available. Not to say that your wrong just in timing.
Not exactly, my 2011 Z06/Z07 was only available from 2011 and it had an MSRP $30+K higher than the C7 we were looking at. No disrespect intended for those that did and will, but I wont ever buy any car without driving it.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:53 PM
C7lover88
Cruising

My dealer let me drive the C7 just for a few miles, probably because I bought 3 others from them. I ended up buying from another dealership.But "no test drives" is pretty commonplace, especially
if you don't have a prior relationship with that dealer. I'm pretty sure
the larger Forum dealers here have the same policy. It's their loss.
I'd call them up and say they lost the sale because of this.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:54 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Porsche dealer has one of every model for test drives. These are not sales people demos but dedicated demonstration cars. They do not let you drive a brand new one.

Until GM dealers learn how to sell and SERVICE Corvettes, they will always be sucking a hind teat to the Germans.

Having a great product is only half the battle.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:56 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Too-fast,
Did you drive by the Chev dealer in the Benz and mention you were a serious buyer?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:57 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by C7lover88
It's their loss.
I'd call them up and say they lost the sale because of this.
They could careless.

PS - Your avatar .

Last edited by ATX-C7; 02-15-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

I hear this demo thing about Porsche all the time. You do not have Porsche demoing their top of the line just releasde super car, it' their normal 911 that they have demos for which is their mainline car like a Chevy Malibu.

When demand lets up a bit, all chev dealers will have vette demos
Old 02-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
They could careless.

Soo true....
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Too-fast,
Did you drive by the Chev dealer in the Benz and mention you were a serious buyer?
Ha, good idea, but I don't think I would even give that dealer the time of day. I will never set foot in that place again...too many dealers that are willing to make a sale.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Not exactly, my 2011 Z06/Z07 was only available from 2011 and it had an MSRP $30+K higher than the C7 we were looking at. No disrespect intended for those that did and will, but I wont ever buy any car without driving it.
At the time you bought your 2011 Z06 there were no shortage of cars or waiting lists to buy. However, it is certainly your prerogative to take your position. I on the other hand personally believe test drives are over rated. In the last 20 years I have bought at least 11 cars - not only without a test drive, but without even seeing them before buying. Have never had a problem.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:05 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Ha, good idea, but I don't think I would even give that dealer the time of day. I will never set foot in that place again...too many dealers that are willing to make a sale.
I challenge you to drive into ANY Chevy dealer in the Houston area and see how many offer you a C7 test drive (could careless what you pull up in).

Answer: Zero, Zip, Nada.

Don't get pissed at this one dealer--everyone will do the same.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Midas001
Intermediate

Same with me. I test drove a Z51 and a non-Z51 to see which one I preferred. Picked it up the 1st week of November and had agreed on a price for each vehicle. They knew I was a serious buyer

Get notified of new replies

To Frustrating Dealer Experience

Old 02-15-2014, 05:10 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I was fortunate enough in that I had an opportunity to at least SIT in C7 (3LT) before I decided to buy.

I pretty much knew what to expect from the driving experience itself but nothing beats being in the driver's seat to test drive "the fit". That clinched it for me

IMHO, if you've driven a late model Vette more than a few times, there is going to be nothing about how a C7 drives that is going to be a deal killer IMHO.. But the fit? That's another story...
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM
petee1997
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
I hear this demo thing about Porsche all the time. You do not have Porsche demoing their top of the line just releasde super car, it' their normal 911 that they have demos for which is their mainline car like a Chevy Malibu.

When demand lets up a bit, all chev dealers will have vette demos
That's right. A 917 is $985,000.00 but a cheapy 991S cab like mine is readily available for a test drive and it sells for more than than twice the price of a loaded C7 vert.

Unfortunately, Chevy dealers are still treating customers like bottom feeders in sales and service.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:13 PM
noel48
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Mine was locked in the showroom.They unlocked it and I sat in it.Immediately after I got out they locked it.

Quick Reply: Frustrating Dealer Experience