Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

★★ warning - c7 z51 cracked tire tread ★★

Old 02-16-2014, 08:48 PM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the rubber and everything to do with the specific rubber compound used to get better warm performance. It is effectively a racing compound. Michelin is well known for making what are consistently the highest quality tires in the industry... this has NOTHING to do with quality. I'm not quite sure why people don't get this?

Michelin, GM... China conspiracy. GM orchestrating a Chinese connection for French based Michelin... all of which is evidenced by a couple of cracked PSS tires which crack because of the racing compound in EXTREME cold temps.

You are a funny man. Maybe a little off your rocker but entertaining

I think you need to sell your C7 given the Chinese connection...
My Nitto NT05R's or ET streets have never cracked. I have used them religiously in all types of dry weather conditions for years. Traction becomes an issue as the temperature drops but never has the integrity of the rubber ever come into question. It is a fact that Chinese rubber is not manufactured the same way it is here. They use less flexibilizer or softeners to cut costs. The storage of their rubber is also another problem. Exposure to UV lighting can dramatically shorten the life span of the tire breaking down the flex chemicals causing the tire to become brittle.

I don't know where Michelin gets their rubber or how it is stored, but the OP's tires show tell-tale signs of cheap aging rubber.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack
My Nitto NT05R's or ET streets have never cracked. I have used them religiously in all types of dry weather conditions for years. Traction becomes an issue as the temperature drops but never has the integrity of the rubber ever come into question. It is a fact that Chinese rubber is not manufactured the same way it is here. They use less flexibilizer or softeners to cut costs. The storage of their rubber is also another problem. Exposure to UV lighting can dramatically shorten the life span of the tire breaking down the flex chemicals causing the tire to become brittle.

I don't know where Michelin gets their rubber or how it is stored, but the OP's tires show tell-tale signs of cheap aging rubber.
Do you run your Nitto's in -30 deg temps in MD? I'm thinking the conditions in Alberta are a bit different.

Michelin, from a quality perspective, would be as good or better than Nitto. This has nothing to do with quality.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:14 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BacknBlack

You need to do your homework. Saying that the rubber looks like it was Chinese made because of the cracking is pure lunacy. Nitto must use Chinese rubber too as Nitto even warns about tire damage in extreme cold conditions. It effects every single solitary tire manufacturer that produces a high performance summer tire like these Michelins! It's happened with Goodyears, Hoosiers, Nitto's and more. Go back and look at some of the links I posted or just do a google search on the subject. This kind of damage with soft high performance rubber has nothing to do with shoddy Chinese manufacturing but rather the fact that really soft rubber will freeze under extreme cold. When it does, flexing it will cause the rubber to crack.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackhall99
, your post are worthless drivel.
well, then by all means, just keep reading them and sniping.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
You need to do your homework. Saying that the rubber looks like it was Chinese made because of the cracking is pure lunacy. Nitto must use Chinese rubber too as Nitto even warns about tire damage in extreme cold conditions. It effects every single solitary tire manufacturer that produces a high performance summer tire like these Michelins! It's happened with Goodyears, Hoosiers, Nitto's and more. Go back and look at some of the links I posted or just do a google search on the subject. This kind of damage with soft high performance rubber has nothing to do with shoddy Chinese manufacturing but rather the fact that really soft rubber will freeze under extreme cold. When it does, flexing it will cause the rubber to crack.
What he said
Old 02-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Default More info from GM TECHLINK

More info from GM TECHLINK. Reduced traction below 40, and cracking below 20. It's just the nature of the beast.

Pirelli, Goodyear, Michelin, Bridgestone.
Buick Regal, Caddy CTSV, Camaro, Corvette.

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=2923
Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I just noticed this thread now, and the picture is of my tire from the dealership mentioned.

So I'm not sure what was all said in these 7 pages but I wanted to clarify that it was actually Sherwood Park Chevrolet's salesperson who notified me of the tire cracks before I had even known, I likely would not have have found out otherwise. They also said that as the spring nears they will replace all 4 tires under warranty, as well as send a truck to pick the c7 up from my home and deliver it to their dealership, so that I don't have to drive myself with cracked tires.

Whatever happened to these tires is not the dealership's fault. They likely cracked while in the transport train, or when they were being unloaded.

They said GM is likely not going to deliver them C7's in the middle of the winter anymore to reduce their warranty costs.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 AM
Achmed
Drifting

C7JAKE I wasn't able to pm you - can you please modify your original post with the dealership name bolded? As it implies that the dealership may be at fault. There's actually no point in even mentioning the dealer's name if you just say it was in Edmonton AB where temperatures can be extreme. They've treated me well during the the whole process and I'll later post a new thread with a review of the dealer experience. Please do the same if you also posted this on other Corvette forums, thanks.

Last edited by Achmed; 02-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I think he is suggesting that half normal pressure and cold temps is a problem... the bad "mix" is low air pressure and cold. I first read it as mixing air and nitrogen and was going to respond but then re-read it and thought he meant low air pressure and cold... maybe I'm wrong
Sorry guys, I did a poor job of writing that. All I was trying to say was that the colder the temp, the lower your tire pressure becomes. I was just letting people down south who don't get below zero temps, that on a 25 below morning your tires become almost half flat.

Last edited by Highway 61; 02-17-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:56 AM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the ZPs with the same size Michelin Super Sport AS 3s which are Z rated also. Loose a little grip but what is gained is better/quieter ride and longer tread life with no worries of weather conditions. I don't plan on tracking my car and hope I don't notice the loss of some lateral traction.

Ahmed, are they replacing the tires because it happened prior to your taking delivery or do you think will do the same if it happens again later on?
Thanks
Old 02-17-2014, 02:10 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
Replaced the ZPs with the same size Michelin Super Sport AS 3s which are Z rated also. Loose a little grip but what is gained is better/quieter ride and longer tread life with no worries of weather conditions. I don't plan on tracking my car and hope I don't notice the loss of some lateral traction.

Ahmed, are they replacing the tires because it happened prior to your taking delivery or do you think will do the same if it happens again later on?
Thanks
I'm not sure if they would replace them if they crack subsequently in the customer's hands, but in this case they were already cracked when they arrived so obviously they will be replaced on GM's coin. With proper care I don't think there should be a worry of drivers cracking their tires. For example I know not to drive it in the winter (I never intended to either), and I'll even plug in a heater in my garage during where its stored during the winter.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM suspended Camaro ZL1 and 1LE production for the winter, so why are they delivering C7 Corvettes during winter? It doesn't make any sense...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall
GM suspended Camaro ZL1 and 1LE production for the winter, so why are they delivering C7 Corvettes during winter? It doesn't make any sense...
To compensate for how poorly the Silverado is doing.

They want the money!!! The ZL1 & 1LE were low production models.
Also if they just stopped C7 production that's a lot of people not getting paid,
Old 02-17-2014, 08:42 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

GM SERVICE BULLETIN #04-03-10-013
WARNING
If temps drop below 20°F/−7°C, don't move a '14 Corvette
CRACKED TIRES SHOULD BE REPLACED IMMEDIATELY
Should GM risk shipping cars in these temps?
Warning isn't noted in the C7 owner's manual.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Originally Posted by Achmed
I just noticed this thread now, and the picture is of my tire from the dealership mentioned.

So I'm not sure what was all said in these 7 pages but I wanted to clarify that it was actually Sherwood Park Chevrolet's salesperson who notified me of the tire cracks before I had even known, I likely would not have have found out otherwise. They also said that as the spring nears they will replace all 4 tires under warranty, as well as send a truck to pick the c7 up from my home and deliver it to their dealership, so that I don't have to drive myself with cracked tires.

Whatever happened to these tires is not the dealership's fault. They likely cracked while in the transport train, or when they were being unloaded.

They said GM is likely not going to deliver them C7's in the middle of the winter anymore to reduce their warranty costs.
There is nothing more to be accomplished keeping this thread open.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ★★ warning - c7 z51 cracked tire tread ★★