Sponsored by:

C7, Google Play and HTC One M8

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default C7, Google Play and HTC One M8

So I discovered much to my liking that when I switch to BT Audio Google Play starts automatically. In all my other cars you have to start the app, then play. The problem however is it never stops playing. In our '14 Grand Cherokee when you shut off the car it pauses the music. In some other cars music continued to play but swapped back to speakers on the phone and you just stop it.

In the C7 it does not pause the music on shut off, nor does it switch back to the internal speakers but still says its streaming to BT, all this is oblivious to you on the actual phone. I went through 6GB of data in 2 days because of this. Not sure where the problem lies but it is a problem.

I'm wondering considering how quickly the C7 connects to my phone if the system never shuts off. Our Grand Cherokee radio has to boot up. Radio works in 2-3 seconds then the phone portion/NAV take another 15-20 seconds. The 2nd message I see on the C7 past the welcome screen is my phone is connected which takes a second or two which makes me wonder if it never shuts off just sleeps and does not disconnect the phone unless its physically took far away. My charger is right inside the kitchen from the garage and is well within BT range.

Anyone else see anything similar?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 PM
c5eddiem
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This sounds a lot like the "usb stick keeps playing when you turn the car off" issue.

Except, that doesn't cost data usage and fees!

I've been trying, with great difficulty to get in touch with someone who's a tech software guy at the Infotainment dept. at GM.

ed
Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like an issue with the Bluetooth SPP protocol on your device. The M8 runs a tweaked version of Android 4.4 (KitKat) that HTC modifies. There are a lot of versions in different devices with different problems (some display no metadata for the artist/track on the car, others won't allow skip or FFW/REW).

On my Nexus 5 running plain jane 4.4 it works properly, only thing done to my device is root. Hitting Media until Bluetooth appears it launches Google Play. When I switch away from Bluetooth or turn off the car Google Play stops on my device. Going back to Bluetooth on the media selection in the car and Google Play comes back online and resumes where it was when it last stopped.

If you are willing you might want to try to locate a vanilla ROM and see if the HTC or Sense "features" are causing this. Make sure you know what you're doing and can make a backup first though.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:02 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Sounds like an issue with the Bluetooth SPP protocol on your device. The M8 runs a tweaked version of Android 4.4 (KitKat) that HTC modifies. There are a lot of versions in different devices with different problems (some display no metadata for the artist/track on the car, others won't allow skip or FFW/REW).

On my Nexus 5 running plain jane 4.4 it works properly, only thing done to my device is root. Hitting Media until Bluetooth appears it launches Google Play. When I switch away from Bluetooth or turn off the car Google Play stops on my device. Going back to Bluetooth on the media selection in the car and Google Play comes back online and resumes where it was when it last stopped.

If you are willing you might want to try to locate a vanilla ROM and see if the HTC or Sense "features" are causing this. Make sure you know what you're doing and can make a backup first though.
I had my there HTC One M7 rooted. I have not seen one yet for the M8. I'm not running Sense either, just Nova.

I can tell you this is going to be impossible to get anyone to look at. I can just pick up a big SD card and dump it all on there.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:17 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I can tell you this is going to be impossible to get anyone to look at. I can just pick up a big SD card and dump it all on there.
Sadly, you're probably right. My old daily driver and my Samsung phone had issues, eventually that's why I just went to the nexus 4 and now the 5. More SW support options.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Sadly, you're probably right. My old daily driver and my Samsung phone had issues, eventually that's why I just went to the nexus 4 and now the 5. More SW support options.
I went with the One because it was a solid metal phone which is something I really wanted. None of the other Androids did it for me from a physical build standpoint.

After putting Nova on it I decided did not need to root and I do not want to really. I had CM10.8 and CM11 on my One M7. 10.8 ran OK but had a lot of VM issues. CM11 was a first release and had quite a few issues.

Get notified of new replies

To C7, Google Play and HTC One M8

Quick Reply: C7, Google Play and HTC One M8