Sponsored by:

Corvette AND Retirement

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX-C7
He's a troll that likes to complain about everything. Just ignore the co-pilot.

You're right on point.
OK, got it.....
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 PM
robertf97
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ksowul
^^YUP^^
Saw my parents save every penny for their retirement. Father wound up in a bed in a nursing home, every penny of his savings, pension and social security to keep him there. Mom's arthritis is so bad she can hardly stand up. In-laws also major savers. Both passed away after long term illnesses and never "splurged". I don't advocate squandering away savings on "toys", but I do plan on enjoying what I worked for before they close the cover on me!
Amen to that! No way I'm going to rot in a nursing home, I will opt out before that happens. I value quality of life more than quantity. It's not like a Corvette is doing blow off of a hookers ***** or something. It has some residual value.

Last edited by robertf97; 02-11-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I continued to work in "semi-retirement" so I can fully retire with a Stingray paid in full! Did not want to think about entering life on a fixed income with a big-azz debt!
Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 PM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Glen e
Same here, and my camaro and several boats....I must stop......
He who dies with the most toys:

WINS !!!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:07 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by robertf97
Amen to that! No way I'm going to rot in a nursing home, I will opt out before that happens. I value quality of life more than quantity. It's not like a Corvette is doing blow off of a hookers ***** or something. It has some residual value.
Obviously you need balance. But I think it would be worse to deprive yourself of some of life's simple pleasures to make sure you can be in a nice retirement home.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertf97
Several points:
1) A lot of pensions that were promised are never going to be paid at full value. Many places are in for a Detroit style awakening, especially if interest rates go up. http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?singlepost=3308722

2) Interest rates are at record lows. If you can borrow money under 3% you are beating inflation. I could pay cash for my car but will finance most of it for that reason. If the crap hits the fan, they can take the car back.

3) You never know when you will die, it could be today. Enjoy life.
die today, and your estate will be fully settled by the time "they" take delivery!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:55 PM
335i
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Obviously you need balance. But I think it would be worse to deprive yourself of some of life's simple pleasures to make sure you can be in a nice retirement home.
Agreed.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:19 AM
kid4life
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent half of my lifetime earnings on women, booze, cars and motorcycles........and I wasted the other half.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:41 AM
CV-4606
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
If you have a guaranteed pension coming in, you can live very well without having a large retirement fund set aside. But I will say way too many people these days do not sufficiently plan for their retirement.
A guaranteed pension is fine. But think of it as a pay check every month. You STILL have to watch how you spend it. You have to save. When the stock market corrects itself again when "THEY" think the time is right to take the profits from the last 3-4 years alot of folks are going to be hurting again after a 15-20% hit.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Second Vette
Drifting

Received 642 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by ksowul
Well which government's facts are you referring to that specifically says 50% of the US population CHOOSES to live hand to mouth? Must be a middle east country's government - Iraq, Iran? The US government would never issue a report that says that 50% of the US population CHOOSES to live hand to mouth.]That's Fox news type of "fact" reporting.
[/B][/B]But getting back to the issue at hand, I will enjoy every minute of my retirement touring this great country in my C7!
Not getting into a flame war here, but what is your issue with "Fox News"?

Fox is way too Liberal for me nowadays, but they aren't Propagandists like ABC, NBC, CBS, NYT, CNN, WAPO and the official DNC Mouthpiece PMSNBC. I guess some people don't like an opposing viewpoint so they attack the one source that disagrees with them. Pravda, American style.

Just my $.02. Couldn't just let your little dig get by without a response.
You are entitled to your opinion as are other Forum Members, but don't expect that it won't illicit a differing viewpoint.

Now, back to the Thread at hand. Things get crazy when we go off topic here, so I will reserve any other comments for the Threads dedicated to discussing those opinions.

My apologies to any other Forum Members who find my response to the Poster offensive. The Mods can pull this Post if they feel it's in the best interest of the Forum.

Carry on my Corvette loving Brothers and Sisters.

Last edited by Second Vette; 02-12-2014 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Old hands, but it's the Keyboard's fault.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:45 AM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
People buy a lot of stuff they cannot afford. And, the use of credit helps them get in trouble. Many Americans are not savers

For the price of a C7, I could afford to buy the best cat food out there to eat for at least 10 years in retirement…just saying'

Quick Reply: Corvette AND Retirement