Sponsored by:

Are You Happy with Your Rearend???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Patriot77
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Are You Happy with Your Rearend???

I have stared at and studied now the bottom half of the new C7 for quite a while. And for the life of me I don't know why they didn't paint the bottom half of the rear end the same color as the car. I know thats what I plan on doing. I just think it looks strange- kinda unfinished if you will. Am I the only one who feels this way????
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,120 Likes on 6,191 Posts

See this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...cs-please.html
Old 02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I am very happy with the rear end on my C7 and think it would look stupid with the lower valance painted. One thing the pictures do show is the 3 dimension of it and the fact that the lower valance wraps under the car. The pictures make it look much bigger than it is in reality and I think the lower valance in the contrasting color compliments the rear of the vehicle.

As for why they didn't paint it to match. Consider this. Most people actually like it the way it is and when poll'd here, most rejected the body color matched rear valance. As such, if it was painted from the factory, I think there would be MUCH more dissent generated from the rear of the car. I think GM knew what they were doing and hit a home run. There certainly isn't much I would change and my C7 replaced my 09 Z06.

I just hope you are formulating your opinion from seeing it first hand. If not, I suspect you might soften your stance after getting close and personal with the car.

Last edited by slief; 02-10-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Another rear end thread??? I suspect that, like radar detector threads, oil threads, break in threads, and countless other threads, there will never be any complete consensus on this issue.

As for me, I very much like the way the rear end looks on my Lime Rock Green Metallic coupe.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
es
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slief
I am very happy with the rear end on my C7 and think it would look stupid with the lower valance painted. One thing the pictures do show is the 3 dimension of it and the fact that the lower valance wraps under the car. The pictures make it look much bigger than it is in reality and I think the lower valance in the contrasting color compliments the rear of the vehicle.

As for why they didn't paint it to match. Consider this. Most people actually like it the way it is and when poll'd here, most rejected the body color matched rear valance. As such, if it was painted from the factory, I think there would be MUCH more dissent generated from the rear of the car. I think GM knew what they were doing and hit a home run. There certainly isn't much I would change and my C7 replaced my 09 Z06.

I just hope you are formulating your opinion from seeing it first hand. If not, I suspect you might soften your stance after getting close and personal with the car.
Ordered mine with the carbon flash spoiler. Now with the torch red framed bottom AND top I think it adds a whole 'nother dimension to the view from behind
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I am quite happy with my Lime Rock green Stingray's rear end. I personally would not want the lower valance to be LRG and I am very glad it's not black plastic like my C6 had.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen so many Corvette's at the track that are black from all the crap that comes up off the track, it makes sense to paint it black. I like it that way.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I like mine

Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I am very happy with my rearend - I might not have buns of steel but they ain't all that bad!

As for my C7's rearend, I love the looks of 'em
Old 02-10-2014, 07:02 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slief

Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Happy with mine and also my C7's
Old 02-10-2014, 07:09 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I saw my first C7 in the flesh just 2 hours ago (unfortunately not mine yet... rail is taking forever but that's another story). The rear end was beautiful. I liked it in pictures but can tell you that in person it is WAY better than any picture.

The lower black area suits the car well and is smaller in person relative to the rear end than it appears in most pictures. The entire car is more beautiful in person than in any picture I have seen, its proportions are perfect, the lines are amazing and the rear is great too.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
I saw my first C7 in the flesh just 2 hours ago (unfortunately not mine yet... rail is taking forever but that's another story). The rear end was beautiful. I liked it in pictures but can tell you that in person it is WAY better than any picture.

The lower black area suits the car well and is smaller in person relative to the rear end than it appears in most pictures. The entire car is more beautiful in person than in any picture I have seen, its proportions are perfect, the lines are amazing and the rear is great too.
Pictures really do not do the C7 justice. They do look so much better in person. I think pictures hide the lines and angles.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Somebody will put a diffuser on this car eventually as well that will further compliment it.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 PM
ssidekickbp
Melting Slicks

Received 1,005 Likes on 328 Posts

Unfinished????!!!! It's a metallic black paint, I'd hardly call that unfinished. There is no more cheap black plastic on the C7.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
I have stared at and studied now the bottom half of the new C7 for quite a while. And for the life of me I don't know why they didn't paint the bottom half of the rear end the same color as the car. I know thats what I plan on doing. I just think it looks strange- kinda unfinished if you will. Am I the only one who feels this way????
If you are basing this on photos...don't. See it in person first.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot77
No, I'm struck with the same sentiment, but only on the AW color, AND when viewing the rear end from a 45 degree angle. I think like anything, it'll take some time warming-up to it. When you view the rear end dead-on, it's a breathtaking change from the Grampa-style generations of the C5 & C6......talk about tired-looking!

To me, when you paint the whole rear-end, it takes away from the European flair the C7 has, which is a complete departure from the same old tired-azz painted rear ends of the last 40 years, with the same tired-azz big, bug-eyed ROUND tailights for the past 51 previous years. You may not like either, but to me the change is welcome, and very refreshing for the new C7 Corvette, and Chevrolet!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 02-10-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Are You Happy with Your Rearend???

Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Ya, now that the lenses are tinted

Last edited by C8Jake; 02-10-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
I like mine

Not bad, but those skinny tires...
Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
I like mine

Absolutely, freakin' aggressive and gorgeous!

Quick Reply: Are You Happy with Your Rearend???