Sponsored by:

Homelink programming problems need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:09 AM
liquorman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Homelink programming problems need help

I have been unable to program the universal remote system buttons to my garage door openers. I have followed the directions, called onstar, GM, homelink, and genie ( the type of garage door opener I have is a fixed code with a 12 switch dip layout. All four companies that I called for help just gave up other than Genie they told me go buy two new garage door openers. Now my wife's Lexus has the same Homelink system as my Vette and it works in her car. Does anyone have any suggestions??? At this point I feel the unit needs to be replaced.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Maybe your wife needs to try programming it????
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 AM
kevingilmore
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i actually set my garage door motor on fire trying. (well it was 18 years old)
Now the new one won't work with the 5 year old cts. Even with the homelink
adapter. Changes in technology.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 AM
1Bridog
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Default took a while

I had the same frustration, but I stuck with it. I have an older Genie opener and the I had to park the car directly under the opener and finally go the right-most visor button to accept the code.

Be sure to perform the "clear" function. I also unplugged the opener and canceled all the cars' codes...then programmed the Vette first and added the Camaro and Q7 after.... I even programmed a hand held

Hope it helps... hang in there it does work. I shared your pain

Originally Posted by liquorman
I have been unable to program the universal remote system buttons to my garage door openers. I have followed the directions, called onstar, GM, homelink, and genie ( the type of garage door opener I have is a fixed code with a 12 switch dip layout. All four companies that I called for help just gave up other than Genie they told me go buy two new garage door openers. Now my wife's Lexus has the same Homelink system as my Vette and it works in her car. Does anyone have any suggestions??? At this point I feel the unit needs to be replaced.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:15 AM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Homelink has always been a pain to program in all of my cars. Never easy...and you may need a new garage door opener for it to work correctly. The rolling garage door openers require multiple steps, including getting on a ladder and pushing a button on the actual unit, once the car is in program mode...as I said, pain.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

My 20 year old GDO (Not to be confused with GTO) worked fine with M C7. I don't remember the brand, but I think we bought it at Lowe's. Anything mechanical/electronic can be flawed and problematic. If you have a good friend with a GDO see if he/she will let you try it with their opener. It it won't work for theirs tell your dealer about it.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Had the same problem - resolved

I've got the Genie Pro Screwdrive, couldn't get the Learn button on Genie to work with visor Homelink buttons. Did some reading and found out original (7 yr ago) Genie remotes had some problems and were replaced with Genie GITR3 units so I bought two for $60. Had to program them to the Screwdrive unit, then went thru the steps in Owner Manual. Used new Genie remote to Homelink to get flashing, then used the Learn button on screwdriver to finalize match to Homelink. All work great now, let me know if you need more help.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:02 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Maybe your car does have an issue. Mine worked so seamlessly, I don't actually remember doing it. (As opposed the the frustration I remember with getting my C6 to work.) To eliminate your garage, can you try a friend's garage?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Different garage door openers can be a pain. My C7's homelink had no issue with our new garage door however, my wife's 2014 BMW X3 did. In her case, we had to push the button in the car and have the garage door opener set in program mode to program the garage door to her cars remote as opposed to programming the car remote itself.

My suggestion would be to go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a new remote transmitter/receiver combo. It's a simple hook up and all you do is give it power and connect a wire to two to the garage door openers push button circuit. They are inexpensive and you could always return it if it doesn't work. I had to do that with my old garage door opener and my C6 home link. For what ever reason, the C6 home link would not take the old garage openers remote frequency yet my 2007 Yukon would.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM
liquorman
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mksz51
Maybe your wife needs to try programming it????
I set up my wife's car. If I waited for her it would never get done. LOL
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 PM
bobbykart
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Yea mine was a challenge also, try new batteries in the remote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Skip the book and use this site.
http://www.homelink.com/home/welcome
Old 02-09-2014, 06:49 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

I set up my wife's car. If I waited for her it would never get done. LOL
THAT I understand! Good luck with the programming!!!
Old 02-16-2015, 12:36 PM
hburks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fix for problems programming garage door remote

See DirectionMan's writeup in this thread. Solved the problem for me with a 2005 C6 and 2015 C7 and Genie opener. Maybe other brands have a similar issue and solution?

Get notified of new replies

To Homelink programming problems need help

Quick Reply: Homelink programming problems need help