C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette vs Best of British (Aston Martin and Jaguar)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:40 AM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
You can't compare a blue collar car to Jags and Aston's.
There is prestige that a vette does not have.
Um....., I have to agree with others that this "blue collar/prestige" argument is getting very stale. The video was just about one good driver having fun ringing out a few cars and seeing what they do. Paying more for something may get you bragging rights at a cocktail party, but it doesn't insure that you got something better...... just something that fewer people can afford.

I have all the appreciation in the world for high end German, Italian, and even some of the newer English cars. If I made $4-500k per year, I would probably own one, but I make less than half that, so I proudly own a C6 and aspire to a C7. I don't need the nodding approval of people like you or snobby car reviewers who continue to turn their noses up at a car that has long since proved it's mettle. Those people will always hate vettes, and the better and faster the vettes get, the more foolish they will seem by inventing new and ridiculous criticisms. The C7, plain and simple, can stand with just about anything regardless of price, w/o apologies for anything.

Reminds me of 30 years ago when the French turned their noses up at California wines.

If it wasn't for the US bailing their asses out, all cars from Europe would be German. A little more respect is due.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:52 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Gotta love it ! If one of those sheep decided to mosey over and take a dump in the middle of the road it would have been all over. Mr Reid has big ones !!

I went to engineering school where men outnumbered women 8:1. You know what my fraternity brothers use to say about sheep ? "Cheap dates, but you've got to bend over too far to kiss 'em.". No idea what that meant !!
Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Corvette stingray at goodwood vs astin martin and jaguar

Famous race car driver Anthony Reid, took a 2014 Corvette Stingray and put it up against the Aston Martin Vantage V12 S, and Jaguar F-Type V8S. Watch these beautiful motors fly through the Goodwood House property with gusto!.....<Click to see more and video>
Old 02-10-2014, 02:36 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Team corvette with another great showing
Old 02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 899 Posts

Taking nothing away from the Corvette, but I wonder what the difference would be on a dry track. Less horse power is generally considered easier to drive in the wet with more power overpowering the tires and all. Still very impressive for a $70K "blue collar" car. Ever since the C6 came out "blue collar" Corvettes have been kicking *** on the more expensive Euro jewelry. It is a damn good car for the money.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:11 PM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
Um....., I have to agree with others that this "blue collar/prestige" argument is getting very stale. The video was just about one good driver having fun ringing out a few cars and seeing what they do. Paying more for something may get you bragging rights at a cocktail party, but it doesn't insure that you got something better...... just something that fewer people can afford.

I have all the appreciation in the world for high end German, Italian, and even some of the newer English cars. If I made $4-500k per year, I would probably own one, but I make less than half that, so I proudly own a C6 and aspire to a C7. I don't need the nodding approval of people like you or snobby car reviewers who continue to turn their noses up at a car that has long since proved it's mettle. Those people will always hate vettes, and the better and faster the vettes get, the more foolish they will seem by inventing new and ridiculous criticisms. The C7, plain and simple, can stand with just about anything regardless of price, w/o apologies for anything.

Reminds me of 30 years ago when the French turned their noses up at California wines.

If it wasn't for the US bailing their asses out, all cars from Europe would be German. A little more respect is due.
I don't think there's any doubt the C7 can hold its own against any other car on a road course, drag strip or highway. A few tenths one way or another isn't going to make any difference unless you are a racing driver and are actually racing. There's more than enough performance in any of these cars for anyone. If you are into middle school bragging that your car is a tiny bit faster than someone else's then people will start avoiding you unless they to are middle schoolers, too

I've driven the Jag, it feels a little smaller when sitting in it but the fit, finish and quality of the materials is quite good. Its a little jewel.

The Aston is just so gorgeous inside you really feel like you have the best of everything at your fingertips. Its a visual treat just to sit there and admire the way everything just looks right.

The Corvette is the go-go car. Everything about it says "I've got the goods, lets rock!" You feel like going fast as you open the door. Its a car you want to flog in ways you don't want to treat the Aston.

Really, though, performance is not the issue, its everything else about these cars that differentiate them.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:21 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful venue! I like how he drives too. I loved seeing the Aston taking out some of the lawn. LOL.

Cheers.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I wonder how a similarly priced Z06 would fair against the uber Euro's.....
Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

61K pounds is 100K dollars plus ...so much for a blue collar car..
Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM
DEciiBel
Instructor

Default Prestige? I got your prestige right here!

My take on these cars is that you can buy really nice accoutrements as you pays your money in ever escalating amounts. You really can't buy better performance.
I note that once I am in a car for awhile, I DO NOT notice the interiors much. If the controls are located well, the seats are comfortable, the radio works and there are not a lot of squeaks, I just want to drive the damn thing.
I do not just sit in a car (unless The Who are finishing up some anthem) for any reason. An automobile is a conveyance first and foremost. Admiring fit and finish leads to a feedback loop of infinite costs.
I know I can lead you to (literally) a million dollar plus STEREO system. Why would you want this?

The questions always are what's your budget and what do you demand? For what I demand and can afford, the 'vette is king.

How could it not be for ME?

Now, if I could budget $200K for transportation, it would become problematical. There are better performing vehicles. They too would be essentially wasted on my little jaunts also, but people might think my junk was even larger by this form of ostentatious excess. Equating bigger junk with the car I drive could induce some egomania. Not that I am familiar with that....vice.
That's IF they were able to tell the difference through their humbled, averted and jealous eyes and their economically limited information base.
Yes, I could become Sir Brag-a-Lot. A public scourge to the less well endowed in so many ways.

BTW, I will never miss the lying sack that was GWB. He was a chucklehead. (Not that I'll miss I'llbombya.)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
DEciiBel
Instructor

Originally Posted by Telepierre
61K pounds is 100K dollars plus ...so much for a blue collar car..
Let's look at what the Brits earn,

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...igures-3002995

Until you are making average Doctor's money. You could not pay for this car new in less than a year (eating would not be an option).
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Beach
Safety Car

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been a Corvette fan since I was a kid! Having said that, if I had to take the Aston Martin or a Corvette. The Aston would be in the garage in the space occupied by the vette
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by Beach
I've been a Corvette fan since I was a kid! Having said that, if I had to take the Aston Martin or a Corvette. The Aston would be in the garage in the space occupied by the vette
Amen!!

Just because a car is faster doesn't mean it is a better car. Hell you can make a Yugo go fast, but it is still a piece of crap

The Corvette is a great performer but has no where near the build quality and prestige of an Aston Martin.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimb100
I don't think there's any doubt the C7 can hold its own against any other car on a road course, drag strip or highway. A few tenths one way or another isn't going to make any difference unless you are a racing driver and are actually racing. There's more than enough performance in any of these cars for anyone. If you are into middle school bragging that your car is a tiny bit faster than someone else's then people will start avoiding you unless they to are middle schoolers, too

I've driven the Jag, it feels a little smaller when sitting in it but the fit, finish and quality of the materials is quite good. Its a little jewel.

The Aston is just so gorgeous inside you really feel like you have the best of everything at your fingertips. Its a visual treat just to sit there and admire the way everything just looks right.

The Corvette is the go-go car. Everything about it says "I've got the goods, lets rock!" You feel like going fast as you open the door. Its a car you want to flog in ways you don't want to treat the Aston.

Really, though, performance is not the issue, its everything else about these cars that differentiate them.
Well said, middle schoolers make there way on most forums
Old 02-11-2014, 01:19 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

So, the Aston is the better car for what you plan on doing with it...
Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 AM
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

In s fairness It appears the Jag was tested first and with the track being the most wet. The Aston sounded the best and the Jag looked the best. If the Vette were a vert the looks would be a tie. If the new Jag coupe was tested it would look nicer than the Vette in either guise and nicer than the Aston too. When the new Z7 arrives it will crush both Brits in every category save for luxury appointments and exclusivity.

Last edited by 500; 02-11-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:12 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
You can't compare a blue collar car to Jags and Aston's.
There is prestige that a vette does not have.
So if you taped an "Aston Martin" badge over the Corvette logo, it would be ok for it to be slower, less robust, and cost $50-100K more?

Originally Posted by AMGPilot
Amen!!

Just because a car is faster doesn't mean it is a better car. Hell you can make a Yugo go fast, but it is still a piece of crap

The Corvette is a great performer but has no where near the build quality and prestige of an Aston Martin.
Since when do Aston Martins have good build quality? A-Marts (along with pretty much everything that comes out of the UK) are notoriously unreliable pieces of crap.

As for prestige, who cares? I'll pay for "prestige" once it can make a car go faster, warm my seats, or at least butter my toast. If it doesn't do any of that, it is a completely meaningless, empty word used to justify inflated price tags.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 02-11-2014 at 03:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette vs Best of British (Aston Martin and Jaguar)

Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

"Prestige"

A definition from the American Dictionary:

1. The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing.

2. A person's high standing among others; honor or esteem.

3. Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.

I read and an interpretation of the above makes me really struggle with some of the assertions in this thread..

To say that Aston Martin exudes prominence and honor above Corvette in the American psyche is akin to say that chess players are more prestigious that football players..

Wishful thinking. Reality has it differently.

Turns out, subjectively, the aesthetics of the AM are among my favorites if not the favorite of them all but I also have enough objective tools at hand to state that the Corvette is a better "system" if you can appreciate the benefits of system engineering in the car ownership experience.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:23 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Telepierre
"Prestige"

A definition from the American Dictionary:

1. The level of respect at which one is regarded by others; standing.

2. A person's high standing among others; honor or esteem.

3. Widely recognized prominence, distinction, or importance: a position of prestige in diplomatic circles.

I read and an interpretation of the above makes me really struggle with some of the assertions in this thread..

To say that Aston Martin exudes prominence and honor above Corvette in the American psyche is akin to say that chess players are more prestigious that football players..

Wishful thinking. Reality has it differently.
As I said above, who gives a flying flapjacket anyways? What good is prestige going to do anyone? Is impressing the folks at the country club a high priority when buying a sports car? Your definition of the word just solidifies my point. It's an empty quality to pay for.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 AM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The OHV arrangement is much better suited to an fmr platform than dohc. Look at how portly the Aston is up front. The vette is purposeful and muscular a class leading solution to the most versatile arrangement. That dohc motor sits on top of its axle, dowright wrong and undeserving of that badge. Dont even get me started on the Jag, that car is optimised for a v6, everything else is like a boat anchor upfront.

Quick Reply: Corvette vs Best of British (Aston Martin and Jaguar)