Sponsored by:

Misleading Dealer - What Would You Do

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 PM
firefisher
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misleading Dealer - What Would You Do

Today I found a new C7 Z51 with the options that I want on Autotrader with an advertised price. Dealer has the car advertised on Autotrader for $XX,XXX. After discussing the car in the morning with the salesman on the phone he texts me back in the afternoon asking if I want the car. I text back, I'll take it and call him back in a few hours (busy at work) so I can leave a deposit. When I do that he tells me the owner of the dealership wants $5K over the price that's listed on Autotrader and Cars.com because I'm an out of state buyer. This was never mentioned in the earlier conversations.

I'm pissed off and trying to be calm about this. I'm tempted to name the dealer and notify GM or should I just let it go? What would you do?

Last edited by firefisher; 02-07-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Tell them you'll buy from someone else. There will be plenty of others available.

Call one of the Forum-sponsor dealers instead.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 PM
firefisher
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
Tell them you'll buy from someone else. There will be plenty of others available.

Call one of the Forum sponsor dealers instead.
For sure, its just the point of people trying to rip others off that I hate.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:37 PM
mjw930
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Post the name of the dealer, salesman and anyone else with authority who's name you know and move on to another dealer because even if they capitulate do you really want to do business with them.

You have no reason to protect them and if they are doing business like this they deserve to be outed.

Last edited by mjw930; 02-07-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:40 PM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by firefisher
Today I found a new C7 Z51 with the options that I want on Autotrader with an advertised price. Dealer has the car advertised on Autotrader for $XX,XXX. After discussing the car in the morning with the salesman on the phone he texts me back in the afternoon asking if I want the car. I text back, I'll take it and call him back in a few hours (busy at work) so I can leave a deposit. When I do that he tells me the owner of the dealership wants $5K over the price that's listed on Autotrader and Cars.com because I'm an out of state buyer. This was never mentioned in the earlier conversations.

I'm pissed off and trying to be calm about this. I'm tempted to name the dealer and notify GM or should I just let it go? What would you do?
One of the vendors here?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:45 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Just tell them you'll buy it at the advertised price, not a penny more. They might cave, or you might just have to hang up the phone.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:47 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,219 Likes on 830 Posts

You're kidding right? Just call him back quick and tell him 5k over is too cheap, you want to go 10k over minimum or you'll walk.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That's pretty crappy tactics.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Post the dealership here with details.

Find their Facebook page and spell it all out there was well.

Drop an email to the BBB in their town.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:10 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Frankly, many new cars posted on these sites are put there automatically with incentives and discounts automatically computed. For a hot new intro, they are frequently wrong.

Was the "advertised price" deeply discounted? If so, that is a dead giveaway that it was wrong.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:15 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Dealers are independent businesses from GM and manufactures have allowed this practice. You're not the first, you won't be the last, and you're not going to stop it, so quit and move on.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:17 AM
zr-1 guy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd have walked away the second they texted me. $5,000 over sticker? no way
Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Originally Posted by zr-1 guy
i'd have walked away the second they texted me. $5,000 over sticker? no way
It does not say $5K over sticker, it says $5K over the price on Autotrader. Big question is what was the Autotrader prices versus MSRP?
Old 02-08-2014, 12:42 AM
firefisher
Advanced

I would never pay over MSRP on any car. I have owned Ferrari's, Porsche, Vettes etc. Of course I walked. Its the tactics that bother me. I sold used cars years ago and would never change the advertised price.
The dealer is Lash Chevrolet 755 W. Coshocton Street Johnstown OH. MSRP is as advertised on autotrader $67,870. The salesman was a nice guy and perfect gentleman. Its the owner of the dealership that decided to raise the price once I was ready to buy.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For sure, its just the point of people trying to rip others off that I hate.
There's a lot of that going around. They can try to rip me off all they want, but they won't succeed. That's the beauty of the situation. You don't have to get ripped off. Go elsewhere and to find the deal, and the *** hole dealers loose out.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:56 AM
redshift1
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer is Lash Chevrolet 755 W. Coshocton Street Johnstown OH. MSRP is as advertised on autotrader $67,870. The salesman was a nice guy and perfect gentleman. Its the owner of the dealership that decided to raise the price once I was ready to buy.
From BBB I picked up this complaint for Lash Chevy, it's the dealers response for what it's worth.

http://www.bbb.org/centralohio/Busin...ints#breakdown

"Business Response: ******* ****** has strict policies on looking for "red flags" when selling out of state customers. This customer is from **********, had someone calling us from ********** state to 'broker' the deal, and refused to prove that sales tax was paid before we would release the car. We deemed this potential sale as too risky to jeopardize our franchise and therefore chose to continue to look for a 'local' customer to purchase the vehicle so that we could be assured that this vehicle was not being exported or involved in any otherwise fraudulent activity.

We sell many vehicles out of state, but we do not pursue these sales if any 'red flags' are noticed and this potential transaction had many."

Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 AM
HKILP7M8
Pro

Originally Posted by onthebottom
Post the dealership here with details.

Find their Facebook page and spell it all out there was well.

Drop an email to the BBB in their town.
I agree big time, we should all know who's doing crap like this.

Get notified of new replies

To Misleading Dealer - What Would You Do

Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 AM
firefisher
Advanced

Originally Posted by redshift1
From BBB I picked up this complaint for Lash Chevy, it's the dealers response for what it's worth.

http://www.bbb.org/centralohio/Busin...ints#breakdown

"Business Response: ******* ****** has strict policies on looking for "red flags" when selling out of state customers. This customer is from **********, had someone calling us from ********** state to 'broker' the deal, and refused to prove that sales tax was paid before we would release the car. We deemed this potential sale as too risky to jeopardize our franchise and therefore chose to continue to look for a 'local' customer to purchase the vehicle so that we could be assured that this vehicle was not being exported or involved in any otherwise fraudulent activity.

We sell many vehicles out of state, but we do not pursue these sales if any 'red flags' are noticed and this potential transaction had many."

I would think you can't register a car in the US without paying the sale tax to the Dept of Motor Vehicles for the state you plan on driving. If the car is being exported out of country that should be a US customs responsibility not the dealers.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 AM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,219 Likes on 830 Posts

I would think you can't register a car in the US without paying the sale tax to the Dept of Motor Vehicles for the state you plan on driving. If the car is being exported out of country that should be a US customs responsibility not the dealers.
You're exactly right.....

Good luck finding your Vette.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:34 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 954 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Frankly, I don't see why anyone gets in a HUFF over this. You're not gonna pay it, so what do you care?

I find many hypocritical here because if they were selling their house and it was the hottest thing on the block, you'd start at stupid money to see if that guy is out there....

How is this any diff? The S in MSRP is SUGGESTED ...the dealer can price as he damn well pleases. It's up to you to say yes or walk.

Quick Reply: Misleading Dealer - What Would You Do