Dash Glare

Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 1965rld
Maybe I should clarify what I mean by glare. It the reflection of the shape of the dash and the white stitching in the window I'm talking about that is bothering me. It may just be something some people notice more than others. Unfortunately I notice it badly when I'm driving.
I don't have any mentionable glare off the dashboard (and I drive my car in the Florida sun), but I hear you about the stitching. It looks great on the dash from inside the car, but the reflection of the line of stitching on the left side of the upper dash (from the base of the windshield back) drives me a little crazy. I constantly notice that line reflecting off the glass and my eyes are drawn to it. It's sort of like a dirt line from running the wipers.
S.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:42 AM
1965rld
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Default dash glare

Originally Posted by Snorman
I don't have any mentionable glare off the dashboard (and I drive my car in the Florida sun), but I hear you about the stitching. It looks great on the dash from inside the car, but the reflection of the line of stitching on the left side of the upper dash (from the base of the windshield back) drives me a little crazy. I constantly notice that line reflecting off the glass and my eyes are drawn to it. It's sort of like a dirt line from running the wipers.
S.
Finally!!! someone gets it. Snorman said it perfectly. The lines from the stitching on the dash where the hump is behind the steering wheel is what is causing the problem. Looks like the only way to correct the problem will be to put a dash cover on when they come out.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51

I'm 5'5" and no dash glare with a 2LT. I've moved up & down and still no dash glare (in windshield).
Old 02-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Finally!!! someone gets it. Snorman said it perfectly. The lines from the stitching on the dash where the hump is behind the steering wheel is what is causing the problem. Looks like the only way to correct the problem will be to put a dash cover on when they come out.
Maybe it depends on the color. I have 3LT Kalahari and have not had a problem seeing the stitching on the glass.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Glenmcp
Maybe it depends on the color. I have 3LT Kalahari and have not had a problem seeing the stitching on the glass.
It's probably because of the color. Your 3LT Kalahari has a light dash. I have a 2LT with the black dash and light grey stitching.
This is what I said about it in my review right after I got my car back in early October:
The light grey stitching (that I like so much) extends in two lines from the top of the instrument cluster hood towards the base of the windshield. With the sun reflecting off the dash, it constantly gave me the quick impression that I had a dirt line (like from wipers) on the windshield.

S.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Motohead279
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm in Fl with a 3LT black interior and have never noticed any glare.

But thanks... I bet I will now that you mentioned it!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:28 AM
billsblue73
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's probably because of the color. Your 3LT Kalahari has a light dash. I have a 2LT with the black dash and light grey stitching.
This is what I said about it in my review right after I got my car back in early October:

S.
I know what you mean. I don't have it on my 3LT Kalahari, but I have been driving a 2014 impala loaner for the last few days and the reflection from the grey dash is very distracting.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:06 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

S.

SMH at this thread!!! If I get in my car and start noticing stitching reflected in my windshield, I am going to be REALLY pissed at you guys!!

2LT black interior and I have not noticed any reflection in the windshield yet! Now I'm going to be looking for it which scares me. Note to self: FORGET EVER READING THIS THREAD!

For those that do notice it, here is your fix.

Last edited by slief; 02-07-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:07 PM
egon48
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First....no types of products have been put on the dash or windshield so I know that's not the problem.

Maybe I should clarify what I mean by glare. It the reflection of the shape of the dash and the white stitching in the window I'm talking about that is bothering me. It may just be something some people notice more than others. Unfortunately I notice it badly when I'm driving.
I have the same problem,very annoying.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:09 PM
egon48
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem,very annoying.Nobody has any answers yet,i believe its the angle of the windshield glass?
Old 12-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cmdrwill
Light is refracted when hitting a flat surface producing the glare. I believe it has to do with the angle that the driver is at when looking into the dash. It may have a glare all the time for a 5'9 person and not for a 5'11 or 6 feet person.
Question: what are your two's height. If they are in the same range, that may be the problem.
I'm reading with interest as well, 3LT, never any "product" on dash use a damp cloth if needed, and I often (20% of my time behind the wheel) see the same reflection.
I'm 6ft 3". It doesn't crack me but can be annoying, just learnt to live with it.
Not complaining, just interested and supporting the statement.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:27 PM
Bryan Wharton
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry mine is a 3LT Black interior too

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash Glare