Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 12:05 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,571 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Default Questions about courtesy delivery

Hi,

A couple of questions about courtesy delivery:

1. If I have a new, factory ordered car courtesy delivered locally from an out of state dealer, when do I pay for the car? I know that usually one pays at the time of delivery, but that has to be different if it was ordered from another dealer out of state.

2. Does the delivering (courtesy) dealer have to be "Stingray Certified"? I may be using a small local dealer who has no Stingray allocations of their own.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,710 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I currently have a car setup for courtesy delivery so here is my basic understanding of the process:

1. You pay the dealership it was ordered through once production is complete.

2. I do not believe so, but you may want to talk to them beforehand and make sure they have a skilled mechanic to handle the initial delivery items on the car (and be sure to check everything over, the Z51 especially seems to have a few extra items that need special care and attention).

For simplicity, the dealer I ordered the car through setup the courtesy delivery with my local dealership so I had to do nothing; my local dealer's fee ($250) for this service will be added to the purchase price of the car so I will only have one dealer to pay, the ordering dealership will pay the delivery dealership the $250 fee. The downside of this is it raises the purchase price you're taxed on; for my convenience I chose to eat that extra ~$15. From what I gathered, dealerships seem to charge anywhere from $250 up to $1000 for this service so be sure to get a quote before everything is finalized.

Last edited by Kracka; 02-06-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 925 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

The dealer who gets it has to be able to do a prep, so yes, he has to be certified.

That's not to be said that one has not been done before.

Courtesy delivery is not a procedure with chev, it's a loose agreement betweem 2 dealers and you, therefore the firm rules and method is non existent. Like buying off eBay.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:39 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Hi,

A couple of questions about courtesy delivery:

1. If I have a new, factory ordered car courtesy delivered locally from an out of state dealer, when do I pay for the car? I know that usually one pays at the time of delivery, but that has to be different if it was ordered from another dealer out of state. The Selling Dealer will finalize the paperwork for you and expect payment in full when GM invoices him for the car which typically happens within a day of the car coming off the assembly line. There are those that have refused to pay until their personal inspection at the delivering dealer but that will complicate and somewhat delay the delivery to you since the delivering dealer will not release the car to you until you wire the $$$ to the Seller.

2. Does the delivering (courtesy) dealer have to be "Stingray Certified"? I may be using a small local dealer who has no Stingray allocations of their own.
Reply in red above.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM
ATX-C7
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Reply in red above.
As to be expected.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:06 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

good replies above from gold and glen. the important thing to consider in a courtesy delivery to a smaller dealer who has no experience with teh C7 is if they will know how to at least PDI the car. frankly, I don't think that aspect is so "secret" or rocket-science-ish that a good Corvette tech NOT trained on the C7 couldn't do it.

but then, some of the responsibility falls on you, the eventual customer. (to tell them to check the rear diff, ck the oil for dry sump if applicable, attach the air splitter/air dam, spoiler if applicable, etc.) just about every potential delivery issue or necessity has been outlined on these pages of C7. all you have to do is read them and make your own list of what to have checked.

and most likely, if the dealer has no allocations for C7 sales, (and no training or equipment for C7 service) you may want to familiarize yourself with the owner's manual BEFORE you drive it home---or you may not get it home since the staff there will know relatively little about how the car operates. I believe there is a pdf online for the owner's manual (someone will write if I'm correct, or not, for sure! )

lucky me! I was correct: http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...14corvette.pdf

Last edited by AORoads; 02-06-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about courtesy delivery

Quick Reply: Questions about courtesy delivery