Sponsored by:

What do we do with jack-stands

Old 02-04-2014, 12:48 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default What do we do with jack-stands

I want to put my C7 up on four jack stands.
All I have are the older heavy duty ones that can be put on frames.

Question: What do we need to do or obtain to be able to put the C7 up on four jack-stands so it is safe to work under it? Don't want to spend the $2-4 grand on a four point puck lift.

Had a friend squashed (yes died) when his 1967 was not properly supported. So I want it to be very good and very safe, but not sure if the old frame stands can be used or if I have to go get something different?

Can anyone provide good experienced advice on this?
Nick
Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Depending on how high you want to go, a set of race ramps may be your best choice. If you really want to use jack stands, first thing you want are a set of jacking pucks. For the jack stands, the only ones I would really feel comfortable with on the C7 would ones that have round pads to support the vehicle as opposed to the T shaped support that is more suitable for a typical car frame. The thing that would concern me is that you need to jack it up from the jacking puck and the car should be supported from the jacking pucks on the stand. As such, it can make impossible to get the stand under there when the jack is there. The only way you could do that would be to lift from the back and place the stand under the front and then remove the jack and place a stand where the jack is. You can lift the entire side of the car from one jacking puck but it's not ideal. You may be better off using 4 floor jacks with your jack stands under the car just as a fail safe however if the car comes down on the jack stands with them positioned someplace other than the pucks, you can damage the car.

All said and done if you really want to get the car off the ground at all 4 tires, you best bet in my opinion will either be race ramps or a lift. I'd certainly be curious what others might suggest.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:15 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I haven't seen anyone post a DIY specific for the C7 yet.

Here are a couple of references for the C6. There shouldn't be much if any difference:

Bugman's website: (click on "Jack" in the yellow pane on the left)

http://www.bugmanweb.com/c6/c6index.html

A C6 DIY for ideas and understanding:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...g-c6-pics.html
Old 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ESCO 10498 or 10499 jack stands

Reverse Logic offers the ESCO 10498 jack stands or a new shortened version, model 10499 for $130/pair including shipping. If you order two pair, the order qualifies for a 10% discount.

We are currently sold out of both models but we expect to be shipping again within the next week or so.

We had ESCO put a second hole into 10499 stands so that there were additional height selections.

The diameter of the rubber pad is about 4.25" The range of the 10498 stand is 13" to 21" and the range of the 10499 stands is 11" to 17".

http://www.reverselogic.us/jack-stands.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I was always told to use exactly two jack stands to raise either the front or back, and not to use four to hold the car up. Use a lift to get under the car if that's what you want to do. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that, but it is a common safety rule.

Cheers.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

4 axle stands with rubber saddles under lower control arms.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:03 PM
0Fred@ReverseLogic
Former Vendor

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Using four jack stands is not considered a "best practice". All of the warning labels I have seen on jack stands caution you to use two stands on one end of the car. Two stands on one side, or one, three, or four stands are outside the manufacturer's recommendations.

It's definitely safer to use ramps on one end and stands on the other end. That way you can chock the wheels that are on the ramps.

Originally Posted by ersin
I was always told to use exactly two jack stands to raise either the front or back, and not to use four to hold the car up. Use a lift to get under the car if that's what you want to do. Sorry, I know you didn't want to hear that, but it is a common safety rule.

Cheers.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:09 PM
ersin
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred@ReverseLogic
Using four jack stands is not considered a "best practice". All of the warning labels I have seen on jack stands caution you to use two stands on one end of the car. Two stands on one side, or one, three, or four stands are outside the manufacturer's recommendations.

It's definitely safer to use ramps on one end and stands on the other end. That way you can chock the wheels that are on the ramps.
Hi Fred,

I have a pair of your Torin jack stands. In fact, my first inkling of this information came from ReverseLogic's recommendations. It has been backed up by my brother-in-law (professional lifetime Ford, ugh, mechanic) and others knowledgeable. Thanks for chiming in.

BTW, the Torin jack stands they sell are solid and beautiful.

Cheers.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,603 Likes on 6,616 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHall
I want to put my C7 up on four jack stands.
All I have are the older heavy duty ones that can be put on frames.

Question: What do we need to do or obtain to be able to put the C7 up on four jack-stands so it is safe to work under it? Don't want to spend the $2-4 grand on a four point puck lift.

Had a friend squashed (yes died) when his 1967 was not properly supported. So I want it to be very good and very safe, but not sure if the old frame stands can be used or if I have to go get something different?

Can anyone provide good experienced advice on this?
Nick
Reminded me of my Dad. He had a friend killed when a car fell on him as he was working under it. When a youngster, did many brake jobs, replaced mufflers, starters etc with him for friends and relatives. He insisted the car frame be placed on concrete blocks before we worked on them and I had to hit the car with my shoulder first!
On my C6 I did have all 4 wheels off. Used jack pads and low profile jacks to 1st lift the front, then put my large jack under the front cradle with a 2x6 30 inch wide wide saddle I made for the jack . It had pads to lift at the GM specified locations. Then put jack stands under the front jack pads. Then did the same thing for the rear. Must admit the jack stands sitting on the jack pads were not nearly as safe as those concrete blocks! I would not perform anythig that required force,
When I built my street rod I used 1 foot high stands designed to fit under the wheels (see pic.) Not useful if the wheels need to be off. However it was very safe and I spent many hours under the car fabricating the exhaust system, fuel lines, trans cooler etc etc.
I think the four ESCO jack stands that were suggested with their round pads looks like a good solution.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-05-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Agreed with above. I used two sets of these. Jack the front up, put these under the wheels.
Jack the back up, put these under the wheels. Creepy-crawly under vehicle. Perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To What do we do with jack-stands

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What do we do with jack-stands