C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Family Link - Does checking location often drain battery quicker?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:00 PM
blaine
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Family Link - Does checking location often drain battery quicker?

My car is currently being trucked cross country to me in an enclosed carrier and I had family link activated yesterday to track it's progress. Without knowing the details of how the OnStar system functions i'm wary of checking the location of the truck too often for fear of draining the battery prematurely.

Does anyone have any information on this? Is the OnStar system constantly connected to their network and i'm just sending a request to something that is already draining power regardless of my actions? It seems to take about 1-2 minutes to locate my cars location when I check with the OnStar website. I'm very interested in the technical details of how the system operates. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:19 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by blaine
My car is currently being trucked cross country to me in an enclosed carrier and I had family link activated yesterday to track it's progress. Without knowing the details of how the OnStar system functions i'm wary of checking the location of the truck too often for fear of draining the battery prematurely.

Does anyone have any information on this? Is the OnStar system constantly connected to their network and i'm just sending a request to something that is already draining power regardless of my actions? It seems to take about 1-2 minutes to locate my cars location when I check with the OnStar website. I'm very interested in the technical details of how the system operates. Thanks!
I *think* that OnStar times out after 3 days or so of not being started. I was tracking my car and it stopped tracking on the 4th day.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:41 PM
blaine
Instructor

Originally Posted by runutzzzzz
I *think* that OnStar times out after 3 days or so of not being started. I was tracking my car and it stopped tracking on the 4th day.
Thanks for the reply. If it's just going to sleep after 3 days either way I guess I won't worry about it.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:58 PM
blaine
Instructor

I wanted to update this thread for anyone in the future who may be searching. The family link has worked perfectly for the last 7 days tracking the car in an enclosed carrier. I'm quite pleased it didn't cut out after 3 days.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:17 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Cheaper to have gotten the rail car # from GM and use the free Union Pacific automated 800 trace line
Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 PM
blaine
Instructor

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Cheaper to have gotten the rail car # from GM and use the free Union Pacific automated 800 trace line
My car came from an out of state dealer in an enclosed car carrier (by truck) and family link only cost $4.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by blaine
My car came from an out of state dealer in an enclosed car carrier (by truck) and family link only cost $4.
Gotcha
Old 02-03-2014, 12:07 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,118 Likes on 6,190 Posts

If your OnStar is activated, why not use the OnStar app which includes geo location of the vehicle? It's free.

Get notified of new replies

To Family Link - Does checking location often drain battery quicker?

Quick Reply: Family Link - Does checking location often drain battery quicker?