C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a C7 from an out-of-state dealer and having it shipped: How does that work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Default I JUST PULLED THE TRIGGER! Buying a C7 from an out-of-state dealer having it shipped.

From the Kerbeck/Atlantic City website, they have a huge selection. Would it be feasible to buy from them and have the car shipped to LA? If so, how would that work?

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 01-30-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Made the deal.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor 2
From the Kerbeck/Atlantic City website, they have a huge selection. Would it be feasible to buy from them and have the car shipped to LA? If so, how would that work?
Hi-tech device called "truck," I suspect.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Pay the dealer for the car, call a transport company, pay them, get your car.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:39 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Pay the dealer for the car, call a transport company, pay them, get your car.
Any guess as to transport price?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Vette_It_be
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There's another way. Purchase the car from any out of state dealership and have them arrange for a courtesy delivery at your local dealer. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks but it will make life simple for you. That's what I am doing and it is costing me $300.00 and I bought my Stingray on the east coast and am having it delivered to me here in beautiful and WARM So Cal.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_It_be
There's another way. Purchase the car from any out of state dealership and have them arrange for a courtesy delivery at your local dealer. It will cost you a couple hundred bucks but it will make life simple for you. That's what I am doing and it is costing me $300.00 and I bought my Stingray on the east coast and am having it delivered to me here in beautiful and WARM So Cal.
That only works on a special ordered car, not one that the selling dealer already has in his inventory.

If he wants to buy a car that Kerbeck has in stock, or on the way, then he will either have to pay to have it shipped from Kerbeck to his home, or fly to Atlantic City and then drive it back to LA. He should talk to Kerbeck as they are experienced in having cars shipped to out of state buyers and can give him advice and estimated cost. He can also check and see what a plane ticket would cost him and he should be able to estimate what it would cost to drive it back home(ie: gas, motels, tolls, meals, etc.)

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-28-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,156 Likes on 6,206 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
That only works on a special ordered car, not one that the selling dealer already has in his inventory.

If he wants to buy a car that Kerbeck has in stock, or on the way, then he will either have to pay to have it shipped from Kerbeck to his home, or fly to Atlantic City and then drive it back to LA. He should talk to Kerbeck as they are experienced in having cars shipped to out of state buyers and can give him advice and estimated cost.
Good advice.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Tannman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Courtesy delivery is the way to go. It is much cheaper than having the car shipped from the originating dealer to you.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
ETHYL
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If he wants to buy a car that Kerbeck has in stock, or on the way, then he will either have to pay to have it shipped from Kerbeck to his home, or fly to Atlantic City and then drive it back to LA. He should talk to Kerbeck as they are experienced in having cars shipped to out of state buyers and can give him advice and estimated cost. He can also check and see what a plane ticket would cost him and he should be able to estimate what it would cost to drive it back home(ie: gas, motels, tolls, meals, etc.)
From NH to Los Angeles cost $2000 to ship. Best to order car and it ships from the factory direct to a courtesy delivery dealer. Talk to MacMulkin Chevy in NH
Old 01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Tannman
Courtesy delivery is the way to go. It is much cheaper than having the car shipped from the originating dealer to you.
Just so OP knows what that is--contact any large forum dealer, tell them you want courtesy delivery to your local dealer (they have a list).

They enter the order in the GM system, and have the order reflect your local dealers BAC code (code GM uses to ID dealer). Once car arrives from Bowling Green, local dealer will prep it and inspect. Cost about $300-$750.

It's the way to go...
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any guess as to transport price?
Depends on distance. East Coast to West Coast, you're probably looking at $1500-$2000 for an open truck, and more for enclosed transport. I paid $1000 to ship my trade 1000 miles to MT and another $1000 to get the new C7 back here to KS. Open truck - covered in salt when we unloaded it.

Keep in mind that you will also still be paying the transport fee from the plant to the dealer before they ship the car to you, so courtesy delivery is a good option. There is also a Forum dealer in the Bay area that can probably get a car you can drive up and get.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Oh, and there is a big difference between LA(Los Angeles) and LA(Louisiana) and LA(lower Alabama)when it comes to shipping from Atlantic City or flying/driving to Atlantic City.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Oh, and there is a big difference between LA(Los Angeles) and LA(Louisiana) and LA(lower Alabama)when it comes to shipping from Atlantic City or flying/driving to Atlantic City.
Los Angeles
Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by texex91
Just so OP knows what that is--contact any large forum dealer, tell them you want courtesy delivery to your local dealer (they have a list).

They enter the order in the GM system, and have the order reflect your local dealers BAC code (code GM uses to ID dealer). Once car arrives from Bowling Green, local dealer will prep it and inspect. Cost about $300-$750.

It's the way to go...
I'm thinking about doing this to avoid the Z51 wait time. How long will what you just said take with a Z51 order?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:04 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought my C7 Z51 from Kerbeck and had it shipped to me in Simi Valley and got my car last Thursday. What I would do is contact Montway. They are a car carrier shipping broker but they have great rates and are well respected. Most of the car transport companies you find online are brokers and Montway is one of the better ones. I checked with Kerbecks suggested carriers which were Reliable Transport, Horseless Carriage and another one. All were well over $2000. Montway was not the least expensive company but they were the best and not one who quotes low and raises the price later.

It could take 7-10 days to locate a truck once you give them the go ahead. It did for me anyways but that was in the middle of that cold front that rolled through there a couple weeks ago. I went with an enclosed carrier and it should cost you about $1650 from NJ to Los Angeles. It took about 10 days for the car to arrive once it was picked up. It could have been shorter by my carrier had a stop in Atlanta and another in Fl before coming to LA. It only took him 3 days to get from Florida to me in Simi Valley. It can be shorter depending on the transport carrier and the number of stops along the way.

Kerbeck made the DMV stuff easy. They had a local out of Palm Springs area company process the DMV paperwork. The DMV processor sent me some papers to sign along with temporary California registration. I had to drive it to the DMV for an inspection. No appointment needed. Just pull up to the inspection line and press a bell. The inspector checked the car out and handed me a piece of paper. I also had to get the car smogged checked. I would suggest getting at least 100 miles on the car or more before the smog test as the sensors need several cycles and some miles for the car to pass the smog. Once I had the smog certificate in hand, I mailed the papers back to the DMV processor and they handled the rest. Kerbeck handled the taxes and the estimated DMV fees which were forwarded to the DMV processor in advance of me receiving the car.

As a side note, if your new car is still at GM, Kerbeck can probably arrange a courtesy delivery to a local dealer in California. If it is already in transit or if it's already at Kerbeck than you will need to arrange your own carrier.

Last edited by slief; 01-28-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

BMW was able to do this for me too - as my vehicle had just come off the boat and was still sitting on the dock in California pending release. BMW redirected it to my dealer in Vegas. I paid the same $495.00 I would have been charged as a "destination fee" on the sticker regardless.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:18 PM
astrotx
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm thinking about doing this to avoid the Z51 wait time. How long will what you just said take with a Z51 order?
About 3 months right is what I was told yesterday.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C7 from an out-of-state dealer and having it shipped: How does that work?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,997 Likes on 5,365 Posts

Originally Posted by HummelS
Depends on distance. East Coast to West Coast, you're probably looking at $1500-$2000 for an open truck, and more for enclosed transport. I paid $1000 to ship my trade 1000 miles to MT and another $1000 to get the new C7 back here to KS. Open truck - covered in salt when we unloaded it.
Not really a big deal on any new car especially a plastic bodied car that doesn't even need to be painted.

Bill
Old 01-28-2014, 10:43 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Old 01-28-2014, 10:47 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 197 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Any savings are going to be lost in the transportation costs. I'd go another route.

Quick Reply: Buying a C7 from an out-of-state dealer and having it shipped: How does that work?