Frame Damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 02:40 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Frame Damage?

Here’s the background.

While driving my GS at about 40mph in traffic I was ‘forced’ out of my lane by another vehicle. My right rear wheel contacted the left front wheel of a box truck. The interaction lifted my right rear off the ground and spun me sideways. Somehow I recovered the car with no further contact.

Fast-forward after the police report, I return home and start to assess the damage. Surprisingly, my run-flat tire is tore-up, the rim has about a 6” gash along the edge with no other apparent damage to the car. Then my wife asks why the removable top is popped up. The driver’s side rear corner, where the removable top anchors into the halo, was sitting about 1/2inch higher then the halo.

It took a lot of “wrenching” to remove the top, so there was considerable force placed on it to make it pop up like it was. As you might imagine, it will not go back in. With 3 people there is no way the top will align to get it back in.

Car drove home with no noticeable alignment or suspension issues. I’ve not pulled the wheel to see if any of the suspension components appear to be damaged.

So, could this be frame damage causing the top to now not align with the 2 anchor points in the halo? There’s no damage to the top, both of the anchor pins are straight from what I can see.

Less than 1,000 miles on her, good grief...
Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM
teejake
Lifetime Supporting Gold
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by RX82Z06
Here’s the background.

While driving my GS at about 40mph in traffic I was ‘forced’ out of my lane by another vehicle. My right rear wheel contacted the left front wheel of a box truck. The interaction lifted my right rear off the ground and spun me sideways. Somehow I recovered the car with no further contact.

I think I’d take her in for a professional evaluation, hope it’s nithjng worse than what is visible.
Fast-forward after the police report, I return home and start to assess the damage. Surprisingly, my run-flat tire is tore-up, the rim has about a 6” gash along the edge with no other apparent damage to the car. Then my wife asks why the removable top is popped up. The driver’s side rear corner, where the removable top anchors into the halo, was sitting about 1/2inch higher then the halo.

It took a lot of “wrenching” to remove the top, so there was considerable force placed on it to make it pop up like it was. As you might imagine, it will not go back in. With 3 people there is no way the top will align to get it back in.

Car drove home with no noticeable alignment or suspension issues. I’ve not pulled the wheel to see if any of the suspension components appear to be damaged.

So, could this be frame damage causing the top to now not align with the 2 anchor points in the halo? There’s no damage to the top, both of the anchor pins are straight from what I can see.

Less than 1,000 miles on her, good grief...
I think I’d take her in for a professional evaluation. I hope it’s nothing worse than the visible damage.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:54 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Jeez sorry for your accident with only 1k on your new car. From your description of the accident it seems your lucky the box truck didn't run you over!!
The top popping up like that "sounds like" maybe there might be a slight twist in the car? I would sure have it measured and looked at carefully during the repair. Not long ago a post of one of our forum members had a very small crack (1/4 to 1/2") in the sub frame that was not repairable and ended up being a total of the car. Definitely don't ignore the popped top.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I'd put the top back in place and see how the pins line up and if it'll latch as before the incident.
The force of hitting another vehicle may have simply jolted it loose. I'm basing this on your comment about the car driving straight following the incident. For sure I'd take the car to an alignment shop for a checkout.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 03:07 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
I'd put the top back in place and see how the pins line up and if it'll latch as before the incident.
The force of hitting another vehicle may have simply jolted it loose. I'm basing this on your comment about the car driving straight following the incident. For sure I'd take the car to an alignment shop for a checkout.
I think he said in the post the top wouldn't go back on.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 PM
fourmat
Pro

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

how are the rest of the body gaps doors to 1/4 and fender
Old 01-24-2018, 03:29 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenownr
I think he said in the post the top wouldn't go back on.
Yes sir - with 3 people I could not get the top on, and you guys know how easy it is for 1-person.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Just watched a History Channel program called Man Made, IIRC.
Detailed the complete construction of a C6 Z06, starting w/ frail rails, end connectors & passenger cab structure. All aluminum.

While what I watched was for a C6, C7 has to be very similar.
If so somehow, someway the cab structure was/is bent and if that's the case can't imagine how it could be repaired.
Not that it can't, just don't know.

Some bent frames can be straightened, relatively easy to access.
But from what I saw 'straightening' this enclosure, box, which is welded in place before anything else?
Would require nearly entire car be disassembled to affect repair.

Find the best shop possible experienced w/ C7 chassis et al to thoroughly inspect & confirm what is/isn't happening, here. A major misalignment like this is not good, this we know.

1K on a beautiful new C7, so sad.
Only upside's no injuries; but, honestly this car may be totaled.
G/L
Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by fourmat
how are the rest of the body gaps doors to 1/4 and fender
Good question, doors to quarters and fenders look AOK, upon closer inspection, quarters to the bumper cover and I believe there is a misalignment. Appears on the drivers side the bumper cover is sitting lower then the quarter about 1/8”.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:12 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Many thx for all of the feedback.

I will keep you posted on outcome of damage assessment...
Old 01-24-2018, 04:26 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru
Just watched a History Channel program called Man Made, IIRC.
Detailed the complete construction of a C6 Z06, starting w/ frail rails, end connectors & passenger cab structure. All aluminum.

While what I watched was for a C6, C7 has to be very similar.
If so somehow, someway the cab structure was/is bent and if that's the case can't imagine how it could be repaired.
Not that it can't, just don't know.

Some bent frames can be straightened, relatively easy to access.
But from what I saw 'straightening' this enclosure, box, which is welded in place before anything else?
Would require nearly entire car be disassembled to affect repair.

Find the best shop possible experienced w/ C7 chassis et al to thoroughly inspect & confirm what is/isn't happening, here. A major misalignment like this is not good, this we know.
The "How It's Made" TV program has a similar program on C7, and if that core is skewed I suspect it would be a total. At 1:30 of
you can see that central structure being built up in a robotic welded fixture.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:09 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Do you have a 2nd top to try, or a friend with a C7 that can try their top on your car? The impact could've bent a pin, which would explain it.

Edit: if you're close to Forsyth county you can try mine...

Last edited by devnull; 01-24-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a auto adjuster for an insurance company. Replacing a frame does not total a car, it comes down to value vs. cost of repair, with the limit in most states at 80% to consider a total loss.

New Grandsport with 1k miles... going to guess 60k value or more. Cost of a frame replacement(not considering any other damage), maybe 7-9k(25 hours labor, 4-6k for part).
Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Chicago Bob
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by avatardt
I am a auto adjuster for an insurance company. Replacing a frame does not total a car, it comes down to value vs. cost of repair, with the limit in most states at 80% to consider a total loss.

New Grandsport with 1k miles... going to guess 60k value or more. Cost of a frame replacement(not considering any other damage), maybe 7-9k(25 hours labor, 4-6k for part).
" Passenger cab structure" ?
Old 01-25-2018, 12:05 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

The frame may be bent at the site of the right side B pillar (or the B pillar itself) where the impact took place. That could cause the halo to deform thus forcing the targa to lift on the left. A body shop will need to take a look at it. The cost of repairing could be extensive as something on the right side of the car bent enough to tweak the B pillar/halo enough to push the targa up on the left side of the car. The door opening panel/rocker is glued to the frame and to the B pillar and would need to be removed to gain access to the parts behind it.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Landru (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:07 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by avatardt

A C7 isn't a body on frame like a truck. The frame is part of the car.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:11 AM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

^^^Correct^^^ AND a wheel alignment isn't going to tell you if the structure is damaged. You'll need a VERY ASTUTE PROFESSIONAL who can take exacting laser measurements to determine:
*Exactly where there may be section(s) of the car that are not within spec
*How much it is out of spec
*What it will take (parts, specialized machinery, specialized talent/experience) to correct it
*How much it will cost
*How long it will take
When you are comfortable with their answers then get your insurance company involved. And decide if you want to fix it, keep it, or if the ins co will total it.

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 01-25-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Frame Damage?

Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 AM
GTX JOHN
Pro

Received 183 Likes on 96 Posts

The top sound very serious......
It is not very unusual for the bumper to be 1/4 inch
away from flush on many new Corvettes according
to what I have seen.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:01 AM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Again thanks to all that have provided feedback!

I should have shared this earlier, but here’s what the roof panel looked like when I got home from the accident:
Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by RX82Z06:
Landru (01-25-2018), rmorin1249 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
The "How It's Made" TV program has a similar program on C7, and if that core is skewed I suspect it would be a total.
Excellent and thanks.
Thought HC might've done a program detailing C7 construction similar to C6 and they did.
These programs are a must-watch for C6/7 owners.
An in depth step-by-step look at how these specific cars are built, especially what's behind the body panels, is invaluable.

At 1:30 you can see that central structure being built up in a robotic welded fixture.
Yup, car's literally built around AL cab structure welded to AL frame.
Unfortunately, this top misalignment is not as 'simple' as a bent frame.
I suspect/guess this much more serious by looking at top, now.

OP has to wait for a final verdict from an expert, expecting the worse & hoping for the best.

Quick Reply: Frame Damage?