C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Ralph Gilles Call the Corvette a “Disposable Device”?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:46 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Well, it's OK that you love the Viper more than a C7, but if you would take one over the C7 any day of the week, where is your Viper? And if a lot of people agree with you, why are Vipers not selling?

By the way, I like the Viper. I would not enjoy it as a DD the way I do a Corvette.
People aren't buying them because of the price, not because they're junk, you can get two 1LT Stingrays for the price of one Viper. If I could afford a brand new Viper I certainly would've bought one, I can't so I bought the next best thing, simple.

Have you driven a brand new Viper, how do you know you'd enjoy a C7 more?

I'm a car guy, I like them all, I'm also not blinded by the Corvette mystique.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Ask him how Viper sales are going.
Valid point.

Ralph may find out he's disposable.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Goaty
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 88 Posts

Sour grapes. He threw a fit when the brand new Viper lost big in a comparison test to a ZR1 on an 8 year old C6 platform.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 PM
cmdrwill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elegant
Between the January, 2013 start of Viper gen-five customer sales, and November 30, 2013, Viper sold 432 units.
Consider you can buy 2 1LT Z51 Corvettes for the price of 1 Viper, I can't imagine why they have only sold 432 units.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM
Solo40oz
Instructor

I don't think he was actually calling the corvette a disposable device....but nice job stirring up the troops
Old 01-29-2014, 10:32 PM
onthebottom
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to dig this up, net net, if you want to go straight then a Viper is great, other than that go vette….

Old 01-29-2014, 11:29 PM
Caddylac10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price really has nothing to do with the Viper's issues. The issue is that SRT still does not understand what factors are the most crucial to succeed in this market. Image is #1 and they simply don't get that. The Viper barely made it back for the 5th gen and I don't possible see how the business justification for a 6th gen will be there. Sales aren't even decent; they're horrible. RIP Viper.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Caddylac10
Price really has nothing to do with the Viper's issues. The issue is that SRT still does not understand what factors are the most crucial to succeed in this market. Image is #1 and they simply don't get that. The Viper barely made it back for the 5th gen and I don't possible see how the business justification for a 6th gen will be there. Sales aren't even decent; they're horrible. RIP Viper.
The future for the Viper does not look good. If it dies off it will be a shame.

This didn't help Viper:

Nor did Ralph's behavior subsequent to it.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by themonk
People aren't buying them because of the price, not because they're junk, you can get two 1LT Stingrays for the price of one Viper. If I could afford a brand new Viper I certainly would've bought one, I can't so I bought the next best thing, simple.

Have you driven a brand new Viper, how do you know you'd enjoy a C7 more?

I'm a car guy, I like them all, I'm also not blinded by the Corvette mystique.

I would love me a new Viper. I was seriously checking them out at the ALMS weekend at Road America last year. The same weekend I finally saw some Stingrays in the flesh.

Sweet things they are.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:19 AM
ACRucrazy
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

“We’re trying to build a custom show car that you can own. This is not a disposable device here.”

Doesn't sound like he's calling the Corvette a disposable device at all.
sales numbers mean absolutely nothing when comparing cars. How many Carrera GT's did Porsche sell, not a lot, does that make it worse than the Corvette. Some of you people need to take the blinders off, put down the Corvette Kool Aid and take a deep breath of reality. The Viper is an awesome car period, I'd take one over a Stingray any day of the week and so would a lot of people but that doesn't make the Stingray a bad car just a less expensive, slower car.
One of a few guys in this thread who seems to get it. Viper has manufactured over 2,000 per year 3 times since 1992.

1992 model year through right now, Corvette has sold more in 1 year on several occasions than every Viper built.(specifically every single year 1998-2008, and yes, even in the 80s, and 70's) Guess what, exclusivity is a good thing for Viper owners.

And to those bitching about number sold in 2013, it was a late year, first 2013's didn't ship until April was it? Viper then switched over to 2014 model year production in July so again, it was a short year with 805? produced. Viper also had 1 iteration with the new model. The coupe, for the first time ever. There are plenty of buyers waiting for a Gen V with a removable top.

I for one am glad the car is hand built and exclusive. It makes owning one that much more special.

And for those stating the Viper is garbage, build quality etc. I seem to recall more threads than I can keep track of with C7 quality issues on launch, but we wont mention that here now will we

-Sincerely,

Former Corvette owner, long time Corvette fan, grew up in a Chevy household, proudly living the dream owning a hand built 1 of 1 Viper fanatic.

Last edited by ACRucrazy; 01-30-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:01 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I really like the Viper. I would say I'm more of a Corvette guy though based on my tastes. Part of the Vipers lure is more exclusivity. You are not supposed to see one every day like you will a C7 in a year or two. I think for the price though they should be able to eliminate the hot legs in the cabin and other issues like that. I know it's hand built but that kind of stuff shouldn't fly for 140k. With the budget the Viper has its a great product and it would be a huge loss to American sports cars to lose it.

Oh and SRT has done an awesome job in racing having only been in the series 1.5 years and they are in probably the toughest GT racing on the planet.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:39 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by ACRucrazy
One of a few guys in this thread who seems to get it. Viper has manufactured over 2,000 per year 3 times since 1992.

1992 model year through right now, Corvette has sold more in 1 year on several occasions than every Viper built.(specifically every single year 1998-2008, and yes, even in the 80s, and 70's) Guess what, exclusivity is a good thing for Viper owners.

And to those bitching about number sold in 2013, it was a late year, first 2013's didn't ship until April was it? Viper then switched over to 2014 model year production in July so again, it was a short year with 805? produced. Viper also had 1 iteration with the new model. The coupe, for the first time ever. There are plenty of buyers waiting for a Gen V with a removable top.

I for one am glad the car is hand built and exclusive. It makes owning one that much more special.

And for those stating the Viper is garbage, build quality etc. I seem to recall more threads than I can keep track of with C7 quality issues on launch, but we wont mention that here now will we

-Sincerely,

Former Corvette owner, long time Corvette fan, grew up in a Chevy household, proudly living the dream owning a hand built 1 of 1 Viper fanatic.

I am glad you like your Viper. This thread was less about the +/- of the Viper and more about Ralph Gilles. Here's his "dealer" comment:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/26/g...w-viper-sales/

I stand by the fact that he needs to manage his brand and get off the internet.

Jimmy
Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Capt Van
Le Mans Master

Received 232 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '16

OK, I have both a 2012 ZR1 and a 2014 Viper GTS, not bragging just fact.

I have been a die hard Vette guy since my first one in 70, it was a 65 vert. I've probable had 30 or so.

I bought my first Viper about 6 years ago, a 2002 GTS, had it for a couple years and moved up to a 2009 ACR (damn!!! what a car). Had both the ZR and ACR at the same time and loved them both. It's kind of like your kids, you don't necessarily love one better than the other, they are just different.

When I saw the Gen 5 Viper rollout at the VOI 12 I thought it was the best looking hot rod I'd seen and got on the list. It took over a year to get it but worth the wait.

So which one do I like best..neither. They are both amazing, have their good and better points.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not that into how fast they run around LS or Sebring, they are both way better cars than I'll ever be driver.

As for Ralph, I got to hear him as the keynote speaker at the Viper Owners Invitational in Charlotte. It was refreshing to listen to someone that is so passionate about his craft. He is a true car guy loyal to his brand.

The ACR

Bad Asp1

Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM
killascrimp
Racer

The viper is no joke, IF...... They put the new "hell cat" 6.2L and it was 70k i would be in. Dont get me wrong i love my z51C7. Ralph did not insult the vette, he is liked in the Auto world and I personaly think that Americans would ratther spend 130K on something from Europe, Kind of sad. I cant afford one now, so the c7 was the answer... but maybe(one day) teem SRT will consider a V8 and a lower price, new badge, but thats wishful thinking... I have a friend that has a 13GTS its a nasty little SOB...

Last edited by killascrimp; 01-30-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Hard to dispose of something, when noone is buying it.

Its pretty pathetic when the first time I saw the 2013 Viper in person.. was a few days ago at the start of the DC Auto show. Even sadder when you consider I hit quite a few car shows and cars & coffee events during the summer. Seems noone has one.. and noone even wants one.
Odd, I have taken my Gen V to cars and coffee in great falls a few times and people crowd it and ask plenty of questions.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:31 AM
xmonger
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Viper is a great car but it is doomed because it is over-priced for what you get.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:08 PM
baron95
Racer

Received 271 Likes on 140 Posts

Doesn't sound like he's calling the Corvette a disposable device at all.
The full paragraph from the interview is....

"We're trying to make packages because it's easy for the dealers to digest, but we are not Corvette. We've never tried to be Corvette. We never will be. We're handmade. It takes 18 hours to paint the stripe on a Viper. We color sand the entire car, inside and outside. All the panels are beautifully finished. We're trying to build a custom show car that you can own. This is not a disposable device here."

He inject Corvette (twice) into the response all on his own. What "device" do you think he had in mind when he gave the answer? Mustang? Porsche?

Get notified of new replies

To Did Ralph Gilles Call the Corvette a “Disposable Device”?

Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95

"We're trying to make packages because it's easy for the dealers to digest, but we are not Corvette. We've never tried to be Corvette. We never will be. We're handmade. It takes 18 hours to paint the stripe on a Viper. We color sand the entire car, inside and outside. All the panels are beautifully finished. We're trying to build a custom show car that you can own. This is not a disposable device here."

He inject Corvette (twice) into the response all on his own. What "device" do you think he had in mind when he gave the answer? Mustang? Porsche?
He is struggling to justify the price point of the Viper vs. the Corvette when performance is similar.

A drowning man will grab on to anything to stay afloat.

That said I am a Mopar guy and love the Viper just not the price.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,212 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by baron95

I read it and he is not saying Corvette is a deposable device... Go to a dealer and look the Viper over carefully and you'll see what he is talking about...
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

I always kind of laugh when I see people complaining about the price of something. When they actually should be complaining about their disposable income level, and doing something about it. I could sit here and bitch that I can't afford a Veyron (I can't), or I could figure out how to earn more. I never thought I'd be able to afford 10 cars, and I've never complained about the price of something.

Comparing sales between both cars is also ridiculous. Different goals exist for each vehicle. They only hand-build 4-6 Vipers per day. So, even the production scales are much different. The reason the Corvettes are cheap is BECAUSE they build so many, and because they share engines with the Camaro/Cadillac/Truck/SUV lines within GM. If they didn't, then the Corvette might even be more expensive than a Viper.

Quick Reply: Did Ralph Gilles Call the Corvette a “Disposable Device”?