C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally it's my turn!! My AW Z51 has arrived!! Let the fun (and mods) begin

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 12:24 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Congrats....you will get a lot of comments on the AW with carbon mirrors and spoiler and black high gloss, I get all the time. IMO and sorry all other guys but it is the hottest combination going. And you'll love the competition seats.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 AM
///ADMAN
Melting Slicks

Received 471 Likes on 307 Posts

Very nice...
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited. I spent some time earlier scanning through the manuals. Between the infotainment system and all the personalization you do to the car in general from door lock/unlock settings to exhaust to steering, instrumentation etc, it's really a lot to take in. While I haven't gone through the main settings screens after reading up on the menus, it seems fairly intuitive once you get the settings menu layout which I now have a good grasp on. I guess I will dig into those settings tomorrow. I've got the radio figured out and setup and I've figured out all the steering wheel menus and controls. Also the various heads up settings and dash layouts. Pretty amazing all the different screen layouts and other things from radio to nav can be displayed on the main dash screen and HUD. I like gadgets so I'm finding plenty to be enamored with. Is there such a thing as too much control?

None the less, I'm very impressed with the overall quality of the car. The interior is so much better IMO than the C6 that it's mind boggling that they could offer that much of an improvement without much if any added cost.

Last edited by slief; 01-24-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:58 AM
The running man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car! Enjoy!
Old 01-24-2014, 05:49 AM
cattman
Instructor

Looks great, which roof do you have?
My C7 is en route to me, it's very similar: 2LT Z51 in AW, black interior, black wheels with red calipers, carbon dash, carbon rood, black mirrors and spoiler, perf exhaust, mag ride, etc.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:18 AM
cbboarder
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Congrats....you will get a lot of comments on the AW with carbon mirrors and spoiler and black high gloss, I get all the time. IMO and sorry all other guys but it is the hottest combination going. And you'll love the competition seats.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:05 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Verrrry NICE! Enjoy your car!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:15 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Congratulations on a great looking C-7! What a great story too.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:16 AM
XEUROTRASHOWNER
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Skip shift? I drove mine home from dealer & a little the following day before putting it away for winter. Didn't see any signs of skip shift/lite.

Congrats!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:19 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the exact car I've ordered except no comp seats and I'm getting the red interior.

Just curious how long ago did you place your order ?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cattman
Looks great, which roof do you have?
My C7 is en route to me, it's very similar: 2LT Z51 in AW, black interior, black wheels with red calipers, carbon dash, carbon rood, black mirrors and spoiler, perf exhaust, mag ride, etc.
It's the transparent top. Not my first choice. I would have preferred the visible carbon fiber roof or even the stock painted one but the car I found had the transparent top and I wasn't about to pass it up.

Originally Posted by XEUROTRASHOWNER
Skip shift? I drove mine home from dealer & a little the following day before putting it away for winter. Didn't see any signs of skip shift/lite.

Congrats!
Thanks, it is there. It only kicks in at very low RPM shifts which is only an issue in traffic but something that annoys me a bit none the less.

Originally Posted by Waytofastvette2006
This is the exact car I've ordered except no comp seats and I'm getting the red interior.

Just curious how long ago did you place your order ?
I didn't order this particular car. I had an order in locally but I cancelled it and found this car which was already in transit to Kerbeck so I bought it sight unseen and had a transport company pick it up and truck it across the country to me.

Also, one nice thing about Kerbeck is that had an agent in California handle all the DMV stuff. I had read about some difficulties that others had with the out of state cars and limited time to get the required stuff in order. I received my temp DMV papers from the processor via mail last week. All I needed to do is get the DMV inspection on the car which didn't even require an appointment. Pull up to the inspection line, ring a door bell and wait a few minutes for the inspector. They check out the car, fill out a document and hand that to you. Also need to get the smog done which I will do today. I tried to get it smogged yesterday but there wasn't enough miles on the car for the test to pass. I am taking care of that this morning now that it will have about 50 more miles on it. Once I have the smog, I send the papers back to the DMV processor and they handle the rest of the papers. California taxes and license fees were paid when I bought the car.

Time to warm up the car and get to work!

Last edited by slief; 01-24-2014 at 08:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:06 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Got the car detailed and waxed today. Got the smog check and DMV inspection done and sent that paperwork to Kerbecks California DMV processor so they can finish up my California registration.

Just got done lowering it all the way on the stock bolts. I followed Jag's instructions also listed in the DIY sticky in this forum. That made it a simple 30-40 minute job. The car only has 100 miles on it and is only a day in my possession so the suspension is still not settled in yet but after a quick drive around the block and over some speed "humps" it is lower than it was.

Tomorrow I'm getting the windows tinted an installing my stinger stripe. I will get some more pictures then. Sunday will be a run to Supercar Sunday followed by a 50-60 miles of spirited canyon driving with some other local members. I'm looking forward to that.

I did get a chance to run it through a short 7 mile tight local canyon today and I have to say that I'm really impressed with this car. It seems to handle better than the 09 Z06 that it replaced and the sound of the dual mode exhaust in sport and track mode is absolutely great! Dare I say better than my Z06. I know that's hard to imagine but I think it may actually sound a bit better. Needless to say, there is no disappointment for me going from my Z06 to the new C7. I can only imagine how potent that C7 Z06 is going to be. That will be a topic for me in about 3 years when I sell this car and get the Z06. That is my current plan and I'm sticking to it!

I'm also really liking the comp seats. They are surprisingly comfortable and really hold you in place unlike the C6 seats. I don't have any seat time in the standard C7 seats to compare but I'm liking the comp seats a lot!

More to come tomorrow after tint and stinger stripe.

Last edited by slief; 01-24-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:20 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Beautiful ride. Congrats and enjoy!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:32 PM
cam832
Advanced

Congrats Slief!!!! She's looks amazing!!!

Unfortunately mine has been slightly delayed due to weather and black ice. You were right about Murphy lol. Its cool tho. Enjoy your new vette and take pics as you do the mods!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:51 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Looks very nice. Seats/interior in pics almost look brownstone. Good luck with the modifications!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:15 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the man knows what we like...lots of pics and details!! What a beauty! It's perfect, especially with the carbon flash mirrors/spoiler.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:02 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This Sunday I will be taking a run to Supercar Sunday followed by a spirited drive through the canyons down to the coast at which point I will have a much better feel for the car. That said, thus far, I am very pleased! I even saw 36MPG on the freeway at 70MPH which was a pleasant surprise. Oh and for those concerned about Eco Mode, DON'T be! It's transparent. You don't even notice it short of the V4 symbol on the dash. It's completely unobtrusive and transparent.

This thread will serve as my build/mod thread so I will continue to update it as I progress with my mods. Still to come are also side skirts and a splitter so stay tuned.

Now for some pictures.

nice look. going to race it?

Get notified of new replies

To Finally it's my turn!! My AW Z51 has arrived!! Let the fun (and mods) begin

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thedofuss

nice look. going to race it?
Thank you very much. No, I have no plans on racing it.. I will do the occasional track day at Willow Springs but that is about it. I raced a full season there when I was into street bikes and buying a new set of tires every month before ever race plus all the other expenses took the joy of it out. . That was 10 years or so ago anyway. Willow Springs is said to be the fastest track this side of the Mississippi. Not sure if it's true or not but it's a great track for fast cars and fast bikes. It can however kill tires in a real hurry which doesn't excite me in the least Track days will be a rare occasion because I can see killing if not doing some serious damage to a set of tires in a single day.

Fortunately we have some good clubs and get togethers out here and lots of canyons to have fun in within reason. So Cal is a pretty good place to have a sports car. There are a couple road course tracks (Willow Spring and Button Willow) all within 80-100 or so miles and monthly track days if you want to hit the track. There are also lots of canyons and mountains with nice clean and smooth roads with little to no traffic depending on the road.

That said, I'm getting wiser with age and I'm tired of tickets. The last few years I've really slowed it down but I still have fun in my cars and can eat a set of tires up pretty quickly.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 AM
1stVetteAW
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats, looks great !!!
Old 01-25-2014, 05:31 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Got some C7 projects done today. First I got the windows tinted. Not limo or too dark for that matter. I did 20% on the rear windows and 35% on the front two.

I Di-Noc'd the chrome strip on my grill. That was simple. Just clean the strip well, start along the bottom edge with the straight line from the Di-Noc and work your way towards the center. I used a hair dryer to warm the material up and form it a bit. Then a credit card to force the Di-Noc into the space between the chrome strip where it snaps into the grill. Then a quick trim with the exacto knife

I also painted my exhaust filler carbon flash and installed it along with polishing the exhaust tips.

Monday I will get my stinger stripe installed and a week from Monday my K40 stealth radar will go in along with my FAY carbon fiber dash. I am also planning on painting all the Corvette and stingray emblems carbon flash and I'm going to have my reflectors and maybe my tail lights professionally smoked. I know some may frown on that but I love the smoked look on the white and really like what I see on the Z06. That will be a project that will be undertaken in the next couple weeks.

Here are some pictures from today. Nothing spectacular as these are driveway photos but maybe tomorrow I'll take some better pictures along the coast or up in the mountains.

Tinted and lower all the way down on the stock bolts. I think it still needs to settle some but it's definitely better than before!

Carbon flash painted exhaust filler installed.

Di-Noc over chrome grill strip.

Last edited by slief; 01-25-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally it's my turn!! My AW Z51 has arrived!! Let the fun (and mods) begin