C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:37 PM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm would have to ask how stong is that mesh? Was it intended for this application or is this custom fabrication? I would this design would be more functional for cooling. No matter what the front end of your C7 looks like, I'll always admire that driveway, it's not stamped concrete but real blocks?
Old 01-22-2014, 05:39 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
It is painted black. Just the sun shining on it and it's too high of a resolution photo that had to be condensed down on this site. The full size image doesn't have the shiny edges.

And one of the biggest complaints I've heard about the C7, besides the taillights, is the grille. I personally thought the original grille looked like it belonged on a sedan rather than an edgy sports car. But, that's just my opinion. I love the look of it and had nothing but compliments of those who've seen it in person.

I've learned over the past two months, this forum contains a very tough crowd.
in addition, things often look very different in the physical than they do in a photo, and as you pointed out, in the bright light.

if you get a chance, i's like to see a photo in the shade or on a cloudy day.

until later, from the days when I could understand what some singers sang, no one ever said it better than this guy

Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 117 Posts

Hope you still have the original one, just in case you change your mind.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

where is the new grill? It appear the ugly one is still on your car.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Interesting.....just noticed the front splitter too.

Kudo's for the creative!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:45 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wormwood
I'm would have to ask how stong is that mesh? Was it intended for this application or is this custom fabrication? I would this design would be more functional for cooling. No matter what the front end of your C7 looks like, I'll always admire that driveway, it's not stamped concrete but real blocks?
To the other person who indicated it looked like Chicken mesh, it was actually completed by RaceMesh. I asked them to design a one piece grille without all of the crossbars and they did beautiful job. It's the same mesh as used in all the other Racemesh grilles. Be it for the front or all of the smaller vents on the car.

It is built within the factory grille's frame and therefore clips right in as a factory grille does. Frame is in the same carbon metallic finish as a stock grille with the mesh done in black rather than the more common stainless steel mesh.

And yes, my driveway is real interlocking pavers!! LOL
Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not the look I would go for, but if you like it, that's what counts.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM
#1c6
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

not bad, but im hoping to get the grille thats in the z06!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
To the other person who indicated it looked like Chicken mesh, it was actually completed by RaceMesh. I asked them to design a one piece grille without all of the crossbars and they did beautiful job. It's the same mesh as used in all the other Racemesh grilles. Be it for the front or all of the smaller vents on the car.

It is built within the factory grille's frame and therefore clips right in as a factory grille does. Frame is in the same carbon metallic finish as a stock grille with the mesh done in black rather than the more common stainless steel mesh.

And yes, my driveway is real interlocking pavers!! LOL
Hey, if you're enjoying the grille, it's fine with me. If you're looking at it in the context of the whole car it is a pretty subtle change.

Off topic: I also considered the interlocking pavers for driveway, but in my area the cost was about three times concrete, and I'd likely have snowplowing problems, also. They do look great. I went with them for walkway and patio.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 01-22-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
admire doing the mod but no thanks for me....
:agree: I don't care for that one bit.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:01 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Here's a darker image shot in resolution to match what this site allows and without the sun on it. Not trying to sell anyone, but someone asked for a darker image, so here it is. It shows the natural color of the grille than the other photos out in the sun.
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2014, 06:03 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Hey, if you're enjoying the grille, it's fine with me. If you're looking at it in the context of the whole car it is a pretty subtle change.

Off topic: I also considered the interlocking pavers for driveway, but in my area the cost was about three times concrete, and I'd likely have snowplowing problems, also. They do look great. I went with them for walkway and patio.
I can see where it would be an issue with snow plowing. But am surprised at the price you got. Everyone I checked with, it was basically the same price as concrete. If you do decide to look into them, I would recommend shopping around. They certainly shouldn't be three times the price of concrete.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

I would like racemesh to design me a new grille as I'm not sold on the stock one either. But for me a mod cant stray too far from the OEM look becasue radical mods like all the grills I've seen so far look ADDED ON. They signal to people YOU DID A MOD" and many see it as "pep boys stuff" on a car. Not for me.

But I would like to see racemesh design me a matte black mesh background that disappears, had a horizontal black chrome or body color retainer strip like now, and no vertical crossbars. I think it would clean things up substantially, be aware to everyone here it was a mod, but pass as an OEM part to the rest of the public.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

I would like racemesh to design me a new grille as I'm not sold on the stock one either. But for me a mod cant stray too far from the OEM look becasue radical mods like all the grills I've seen so far look ADDED ON. They signal to people YOU DID A MOD" and many see it as "pep boys stuff" on a car. Not for me.

But I would like to see racemesh design me a matte black mesh background that disappears, had a horizontal black chrome or body color retainer strip like now, and no vertical crossbars. I think it would clean things up substantially, be aware to everyone here it was a mod, but pass as an OEM part to the rest of the public.
We're all human and as American's we have the right to think and choose. That's why Chevy has many different colors, wheel combinations, option packages, etc., etc. Everyone likes something different. I personally liked the look of no cross bars. Got the idea from some the cars at Sema that had new grilles. I see last week, Chevy removed all the crossbars from the Z06's grille as well and added a couple of air vents. I had previously heard nothing but complaints about the factory grille. Obviously this thread has proven that there are in fact a lot of people that like it too!

Anyway, Racemesh is great to work with. Just give them a call and if it's within reason, they'll build you what you want I'm sure. As I stated earlier, this one was built from a factory grille and retains the stock frame and clips right in. They removed all of the crossbars at my request. I'm sure they could just remove just the vertical bars too. They did a very clean job on it and it came out exactly as I requested.

I know from their website though, they'll paint them in different colors to match the car or whatever other colors you may prefer.

Last edited by LuvnMyC7; 01-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM
red-ray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
I like mine better no Chrome but then again different strokes for different folks...
Hello! I like this look the best. How did you do this? Was it a kit?
Thanks?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Eagle Ray 7
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like it! Who cares what other's think.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:26 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

admire doing the mod but no thanks for me....

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!

Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

And one final note, in addition to getting the idea for a one piece grille from the cars I saw at Sema, I chose the racemesh design because it is pretty similar to the mesh used by Cadillac on all of the V-series cars.

Anyway, that's it. As many have said, I'm the only that has to like it and I do. It came out exactly as I had hoped it would. Just thought I'd share it. Didn't realize how many people would be so opinionated and bash the look of it. But as I said before, we all have the right to like what we like. If we all liked the same things, this would be a pretty boring world.

Have a great evening everyone!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

No offense to the OP, but I think those mesh grilles look awful.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by red-ray
Hello! I like this look the best. How did you do this? Was it a kit?
Thanks?
Any high end Clear Bra place can do it. Its called Carbon Fiber film. He installed it for free while installing my clear bra, it took him 15 minutes. I had ordered a real carbon replacement but decided heck this looks great and saved some money. The film has texture to it and it can be removed at any time.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!