C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 01:36 PM
senah
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

luvinmyc7, your most recent photos show it in a much more attractive light. also, it is easy to take photos too close, which is a mistake that is made a lot in c7 photos imo, and being a reasonable distance from it like the last one looks better.

I'd put that grille on in a heartbeat. my first impression when I saw it was long distance high speed.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
I had my chrome bar blacked out with PlastiDip as well. It did look MUCH better, in my opinion, than the stock grille with the chrome strip. I was much happier with it blacked out, but after seeing the Sema cars, I fell in love with the look of a one piece grille and decided to make the change. Felt it was a cleaner look without all the cross bars and more consistent with my own personal car. i LOVE the look of the C7, but have always felt that the rear of the C7 is very edgy and aggressive in appearance and flows well into the side lines of the car, but front nose is much more subtle with rounder edges and lacks a little bit of the aggressiveness the rest of the car has. So this was my personal way of adding a little more aggression to the front of the car to tie in with the other mods I've made.

Before and after photos below.
Took a new After photo from a more similar angle and a little more comparable lighting (the shadows are almost the same)

And added the new photos from the first page for anyone that didn't go back to see the revised photos. I realized that since most of my pictures are taken indoors, my exposure setting was set very high, which is horrible for outdoor photos and didn't really capture what it looks like in person. I reset the exposure back to zero and retook some photos and they are much more reflective of the actual color and look.

Again, not trying to sell anybody on it, just figured for, all two of you that actually do like it, LOL, I'd post photos that are more accurate.
Attached Images     
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

You're still defensive...don't be, it's a nice mod.....does not fit for me, but very viable and quality looking....
Old 01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The chrome piece is horrendous in my opinion so I like your attempt to eliminate it. Blacking out the chrome piece isn't a bad option though if one wants the factory look.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by B Stead
I would be looking for a grill that's not so obvious. In other words it wouldn't be tightly woven, wouldn't have thick elements, and wouldn't be polished. I would want stainless-steel or titanium
The photos do make it look a little more tightly woven than it really is. Any angle with the camera is going to give it that effect. I said the same thing when I ordered, that I wanted the widest mesh possible. I'm glad it is what it is. Any wider weave than it is and you'd start to be able to see everything that's behind the grille too easily. Personally, I think I'm at the limit on how wide I can go.

And RaceMesh does offer all different types of colors/finishes. Stainless, chrome, black, black chrome, etc, and probably could customize with other finishes as well. If you've got an idea, just call them with it. They were great to work with and produced exactly what I requested.

Originally Posted by Glen e
You're still defensive...don't be, it's a nice mod.....does not fit for me, but very viable and quality looking....
LOL, I know. This thread made me realize how sensitive some people are and how one single missed word (or added word) can cause a harmless comment to be taken in an offensive manner. So I'm trying to write more carefully!! Walkin on eggshells!! LOL. It's all good. I used to drive race cars, so I remember what it was like to be talked about on message boards!!
Old 01-23-2014, 02:19 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

after looking at the second set of pics, I do like it better. I also have a feeling that this mod doesn't photograph well and that it most likely looks better in person where one can see, and not see, some things.

it's a worthy attempt even if some won't ever do it. as the saying goes, it's your car and as long as you like it....
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM
hotrod2147
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took a new After photo from a more similar angle and a little more comparable lighting (the shadows are almost the same)

And added the new photos from the first page for anyone that didn't go back to see the revised photos. I realized that since most of my pictures are taken indoors, my exposure setting was set very high, which is horrible for outdoor photos and didn't really capture what it looks like in person. I reset the exposure back to zero and retook some photos and they are much more reflective of the actual color and look.

Again, not trying to sell anybody on it, just figured for, all two of you that actually do like it, LOL, I'd post photos that are more accurate.
Much better.I actually like it now
Old 01-23-2014, 02:37 PM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by khoeysr
Perhaps the title of this thread should have been "Check out my grille".

Although I can't speak for everyone, I am sure that many others besides me do not consider that the C7s grille is hideous.

Good for you. I will retain "hideous".
He said "retain", lol. It does look pretty orthodontic.

Chip on shoulder much?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
bdevault01
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you did a great job on it, and I do like it because it's different. I think that it's lacking something though...

I bet Chevrolet's first drawing of that car had that huge opening in it like yours. But that horizontal bar in the factory car does break up the space and accentuates the lines of the nose of the car. I think they could have done better than making it in chrome though.

Your's kinda looks like a whale with it's huge mouth open. Which is kinda cool in a way because translated to the car world it looks like a huge air intake port.

Maybe if yours had a bead rolled in it all the way across in the place where the factory bar goes across the grill?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:47 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

There is also a new C7 grill being made (With NO Chrome mouth brace).

Its the new Z06 style grill.

Don't know when it may be available for order. Or if it will fit the regular Stingray model or just the Z06... If both models share the same grill opening it could be an easy switch if both mount up the same.

Here's a pic below of the unpainted part which still has to be painted Carbon Flash...

Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
after looking at the second set of pics, I do like it better. I also have a feeling that this mod doesn't photograph well and that it most likely looks better in person where one can see, and not see, some things.
Agree completely. Honestly I feel that way about the whole car. It's a tough car to photograph well. If you get the right shots, it looks amazing, but from other angles, not so much. When it first came out and the photos that were presented, I wasn't convinced that I would like it based on the photos. I knew I loved Corvette's and really wanted to like, just couldn't get there on the early photos alone. When the Auto Show rolled into town, I went there solely for the purpose of seeing the new C7 back in October. Once I saw it, it took me all of 30 seconds to say "Wow, OK, I'm sold". I left immediately and headed straight to the dealer and placed my order!

The car as a whole does look so much better in person. And I feel the same way about the grille and some of the other mods as well. I got closer with the new photos, but to me, it still looks much better in person. While it can be done, as many on here have, it's still tough to capture the true beauty of the Vette in photos.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by jr3

Don't know when it may be available for order. Or if it will fit the regular Stingray model or just the Z06... If both models share the same grill opening it could be an easy switch if both mount up the same.
I like the new Z06 grille. I've always felt the C7 has a VERY wide grille opening, so I like how the air vents built-in to the grille break that up some. I'm not sure if I like the mesh they've used though. Will have to reserve final judgement until I can see it in person.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7
Oh man, just opened the link, that's funny! Reminds me of when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend wanted a bra for her BMW. I finally found one and called her to tell her I got it. Her Dad answered the phone and said she wasn't home at the time, I said "OK, no problem, just tell her that I have her bra". Needless to say, that didn't go over well!!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,564 Likes on 532 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Oh man, just opened the link, that's funny! Reminds me of when I was 17 years old. My girlfriend wanted a bra for her BMW. I finally found one and called her to tell her I got it. Her Dad answered the phone and said she wasn't home at the time, I said "OK, no problem, just tell her that I have her bra". Needless to say, that didn't go over well!!!!
Hi Luvn - I sent you a PM wondering what your wheels are and size? And are they glossy or matte.. can't tell from my monitor.

Thanks man!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
diesel225
Heel & Toe

I like it not sure why people like the reg grill truly the grill is the only thing i don't like about the car so i will be doing this first. your grill looks more open and that is the look I'm going for on mine.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:52 PM
diesel225
Heel & Toe

what front spoiler did you use.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Captain Richard
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it, man. I think it looks badass. Mind sharing what the cost was?

Also, BECAUSE RACECAR.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Best story ever.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by jr3

Here's a pic below of the unpainted part which still has to be painted Carbon Flash...

How might one come about procuring one of these? Is this your picture/part?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM
vt65
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here you go.

it's much cleaner looking!

Last edited by vt65; 01-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally got rid of the C7's hideous grille!!!