C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Run Flat vs. non-Run Flat.....

Old 01-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

Default Another Run Flat vs. non-Run Flat.....

First off I do not track or race the car in anyway. My wife and I love to cruise at or, maybe a little over the speed limit. The Pilot SS tires that came with my Z51 are just too soft, even in temps around 35 to 40 degrees they picked up every rock chip in the road. The chips were either embedded in the tire or thrown back against the car. I can’t even imagine what they will be like in the summer.

So, I have decided to change out the tires. However, finding 19” and 20” run flats is impossible. It seems that only the Pilot SS ZP comes in 20”. So I have been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3Y non run flats. I know that some folks out there are running non run flats in their C6 or C5 Corvettes.

What are your thoughts about non ZP tires in the C7? Would an air compressor and a bottle of Slime be the way to go?

Flame on!!!!!
Old 01-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

I have no problem running conventional tires on a C7...I run Nitto Invo's and carry a large bottle of fix a flat, which now has been reformulated to be tire pressure sensor safe...

Old 01-22-2014, 03:42 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

I put the Continental ExtremeContactDWS tires on my Z51 wheels. I bought the Slime 70004 Power Spair 48 Piece Tire Repair Kit, along with disposable coveralls, gloves, etc. in case I actually have to fix a flat instead of calling someone.

Not much choice at this point if you want all season or winter tires on the stock sized wheels. Some company is bound to come out with runflats that will fit in the future.

Last edited by -CM-; 01-22-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:01 PM
indy 28
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolips
First off I do not track or race the car in anyway. My wife and I love to cruise at or, maybe a little over the speed limit. The Pilot SS tires that came with my Z51 are just too soft, even in temps around 35 to 40 degrees they picked up every rock chip in the road. The chips were either embedded in the tire or thrown back against the car. I can’t even imagine what they will be like in the summer.

So, I have decided to change out the tires. However, finding 19” and 20” run flats is impossible. It seems that only the Pilot SS ZP comes in 20”. So I have been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3Y non run flats. I know that some folks out there are running non run flats in their C6 or C5 Corvettes.

What are your thoughts about non ZP tires in the C7? Would an air compressor and a bottle of Slime be the way to go?

Flame on!!!!!
My rocker panels in front of the rear wheels got hammered by gravel. It was a combination of sticky tires, fast driving, and too much loose gravel that caused the problem. Also the carbon flash rear fascia behind the rear tires took a pounding. The sticky tires were great on the twisty roads but I'm probably going to switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3Y.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

Originally Posted by Glen e
I have no problem running conventional tires on a C7...I run Nitto Invo's and carry a large bottle of fix a flat, which now has been reformulated to be tire pressure sensor safe...

I know nothing about Nitto Invo tires. What made you choose them?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:16 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

they were recommended to me to be a good all around tire that was fairly priced.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

they were recommended to me to be a good all around tire that was fairly priced.
Do you notice any road debris being picked up in the rubber like the Michelin SS tires?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

no....
Old 01-22-2014, 04:23 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank You…I switched to A/S Michelins for my Z51..have the same concerns for the OEM tires
Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM
Apocolips
Drifting

For those that have changed tires, what did you do with the OEM tires that came with the car?
Old 01-22-2014, 04:51 PM
entologix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that have changed tires, what did you do with the OEM tires that came with the car?
I'm saving mine…maybe to mount on different wheels to use during the summer. The OEM's probably won't last more than one summer anyway.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

in storage, for when I trade in in 2 -3 years for another c7....
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

I have 19/305 & 18/275 Michelin PSS non-RF tires on my 2002 vert. The gravel thing only lasted about 500 miles and has not been a problem since. The tires are so amazing in all other respects, that I cannot imagine running any other performance street tire.

But, that is just me.

However, I will never put RF's on any car again. Just not worth the ride, handling, and noise problems. 2 cans of tire goo, a flat kit, and a portable air pump are just no big deal to carry and employ if needed. Also have the 100 mile AAA tow service just in case.

Apparently there is a custom Ferrari PSS tire that is available in 20/285 non RF. Tread might be an issue for the C7. I just don't know about that. Otherwise it seems that 295 is the minimum that might work but the wheel is 1/2" too narrow. Michelin can advise you on what the PSS tires can handle in terms of wheel size.

Not trying to talk you into staying with the PSS tires ... just pointing out some options. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by B747VET; 01-22-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Gbrent
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last 2 flats I had would not be fixed by any type of sealant. Newer run flats offer a great ride. Remember that any low profile tire will be more harsh than a 'thicker' tire. Personally I don't like the idea of getting stuck somewhere without a spare (and not on run flats). If you had a flat in the middle of nowhere on a weekend you could be stuck for a couple of days before you could get your hands on a replacement. Not for me.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I'm running Pirelli Sottozero's (Winter Tires) on my car currently, and they aren't run flats either. I also carry a can of fix-a-flat (safe for TPMS), a tire repair kit, and an air compressor.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:58 PM
Vic T
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out to the Michelins Pilot AS/3's when I picked up my C7 from the dealer. Have them in storage now but would sell them if anyone wants them These are 18//19's, not Z51"s. Exactly 12 miles on them.
I don't track the car and love the ride and handling of the AS3's. No Corvette wheel hop, either. I carry a GM compressor/latex slime kit in the back if I ever need to fix a flat. The kit can inflate with or without the slime. Comes in a nice black case; and isn't very big, either. $115. online. Personally, I expect to keep the Michelin's on all year around. Traction in snow or temps below 40 degrees is very good. Handling, ride and noise level is very good as well.
By the way, I just have to say this. I have 3 neighbors with the following: A new Porsche 911S 4, a Ferrari F430, and a Ferrari California. I've driven them all, and while all are very nice, I don't envy any of them. On the other hand, they are all very impressed with the C7; especially the quality of the interior and the incredible torque of the LT1. It's a new day in the world of sports cars.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 8 Posts

I did the same as Glen ... I have some tire stuff in the trunk ....

I just put these Pirelli PZero on tonight ... Im not a racer either, dont care about the track tires.....

Get notified of new replies

To Another Run Flat vs. non-Run Flat.....

Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

I just changed mine out tonight. I have not decided what to do with them. I would not mind selling them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KingMotley
I'm running Pirelli Sottozero's (Winter Tires) on my car currently, and they aren't run flats either. I also carry a can of fix-a-flat (safe for TPMS), a tire repair kit, and an air compressor.
Thats exactly what I have, but a small scissors jack too.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Bmbarney
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by B747VET
I have 19/305 & 18/275 Michelin PSS non-RF tires on my 2002 vert. The gravel thing only lasted about 500 miles and has not been a problem since. The tires are so amazing in all other respects, that I cannot imagine running any other performance street tire.

But, that is just me.

However, I will never put RF's on any car again. Just not worth the ride, handling, and noise problems. 2 cans of tire goo, a flat kit, and a portable air pump are just no big deal to carry and employ if needed. Also have the 100 mile AAA tow service just in case.

Apparently there is a custom Ferrari PSS tire that is available in 20/285 non RF. Tread might be an issue for the C7. I just don't know about that. Otherwise it seems that 295 is the minimum that might work but the wheel is 1/2" too narrow. Michelin can advise you on what the PSS tires can handle in terms of wheel size.

Not trying to talk you into staying with the PSS tires ... just pointing out some options. Good luck with your search.
I just put on Pirelli PZero 265/35/19 front and 305/30/20 rear on Forgestars tonight, took the car for a test drive ... no issues at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Run Flat vs. non-Run Flat.....