C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 03:15 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

This thread is devolving into silliness

How can they let you drive it home if they don't think it's safe enough for a test drive? Really?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:17 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
The C7 is 50 times better than your C5 I just don't get why people have to test drive? What are you going to learn about that car in a 10 mile test drive? It will take you about500 miles to learn how everything in the C7 works.
Ken sold his C6 months ago because he knew the prices would drop because of the interest in the C7. He has been driving my C5 since. There are VERY few dealers in Oregon that even have a C7 and they won't even let you "sit" in them. There is enough talk and reviews on the C7 to know they are great. Don't need to test drive!
We are still anxiously waiting and debating if we will drive it back from dealer in Idaho when it arrives there???
Old 01-19-2014, 03:18 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 958 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by KenHorse
This thread is devolving into silliness

How can they let you drive it home if they don't think it's safe enough for a test drive? Really?
x2.....really????...it's their car when you test drive! they don't want it driven!!!...wanna bitch? do it driving your car home, they don't care.

Buy the car and you can drive it anywhere, as again, they don't care....

sheesh...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

First thing that popped into my head...

Summer Tires w/ 285 Wide Rubber x 30 Degrees x 460 lbs-ft TQ

You're going to have a bad time...
Old 01-19-2014, 03:22 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

This is probably a bad comparison, but what the heck. I have a 2000 Acura TL. It was my daily driver for 150K miles. I love the car to this day and won't sell it. Lots of folks I work with have newer to new TLs. They LOVE them. They tell me how fantastic they are. I drove a recent model, and didn't like it at all. Quite fortunately, as now I commute in a vette!

Why should anyone take your word for it that they'll love a car. It's for them to find out. How much can you tell about a car in 10 minutes. For me - everything I need to know to determine whether or not I want to buy.

I still call BS on this attitude of you don't need to test drive a car.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glen e
x2.....really????...it's their car when you test drive! they don't want it driven!!!...wanna bitch? do it driving your car home, they don't care.

Buy the car and you can drive it anywhere, as again, they don't care....

sheesh...
So the dealer should be held responsible if you crash your C7 on the way home?
Old 01-19-2014, 03:25 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Things may be different outside of where I live (LI-NY), but around here dealers won't let you test drive any vehicle (even an suv) if it is raining or there is snow on the ground anywhere, so restricting a Corvette to above 45 doesn't seem unreasonable.
As for the tire issues: if you want a car to pull 1.0g on the skidpad, it isn't happening on anything but summer only tires and at temps above 75 degrees.
For those complaining about the choice of tire, maybe something along the lines of a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 would be a better choice if you need performance in all conditions - or just do what GM says: install proper winter tires.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:31 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Amaybe
But finally I got a call to go in for a test drive. Needless to say I was flattered.

Not surprisingly the car was a thrill to drive, met all my expectations, and those were high expectations.

So I took a bunch of pics and texted them to the wife. She had heard about the C7 from me many times but never saw one.

Guess what, she hated the tail lights!

I had said many times here I loved the new style, even the new tail light design. The success of the initial C7 sales seemed to support my view.

But I wasn't prepared that in my case, the new tail lights will likely ruin my prospect of getting the C7
So you test drove it, loved it (of course), but did not buy it? That is exactly what the dealer in the OP is trying to avoid. Unnecessary miles going on joy rides.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:32 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Michael Stepp
The big deal is if they think it is unsafe for me to test drive it, how can they let me buy it and drive it home in that weather? Why even have the Corvette center open at that dealership?
Simple....It's their problem if you crash their car....Your problem if you crash yours....

I would think that they would tell customers picking up their car during colder weather about the tire issue , and if they choose to drive, so be it...

I agree with the dealership.....

Buy somewhere else if you are so upset with the dealership....It would be better for everyone.....
Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Amaybe
Although most points above are valid, the bottom line is, right now the dealers don't have to allow test drives in order to move the C7s, pure and simple. So why take the risk?

I had no problem test driving several C6 GSs with MSRP higher than the C7s sitting in the showrooms, but until yesterday, they didn't let me test drive a C7.

But finally I got a call to go in for a test drive. Needless to say I was flattered.

Not surprisingly the car was a thrill to drive, met all my expectations, and those were high expectations.

So I took a bunch of pics and texted them to the wife. She had heard about the C7 from me many times but never saw one.

Guess what, she hated the tail lights!

I had said many times here I loved the new style, even the new tail light design. The success of the initial C7 sales seemed to support my view.

But I wasn't prepared that in my case, the new tail lights will likely ruin my prospect of getting the C7.

Before anyone telling me don't listen to the wife, it's your car, unfortunately in my case it will be our car, so her opinions are critical.

Back to the subject, the test drive situation will improve, be patient.

The traditional vett drivers don't see this. GM is hoping to attract conquest buyers, who are accustomed to test drives.

To the OP, if you like your C5, rest assured you will love the C7 much more.
Well, when your wife picks a car that she is thrilled with in every way, I suggest that you tell her that you hate the ***** on the radio, so the deal is off.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

We went to a Caddy dealer to look at a '14 CTS-V Sport.

I just wanted a price, had zero intention of driving the car because it was 0 degree's and the roads were absolute crap, sheets of ice for the most part.

They offered me the keys and I was surprised. At 80 on the freeway it would break the back end loose. I took it for a short spin and we returned it to come back when the weather was better. If I was the sales person no way would I have put those keys in most people's hands in that weather. I had a blast driving it but lots of on track experience in everything from good to terrible weather.

I can kind of see their point and I can also see it from a sales standpoint. You bring the car and back and say you did not like it because the car rode like crap, which it will in tires designed for summer and instead are driving in freezing weather.

When you go back and its warm and they give you the same answer then walk.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 455230
Simple....It's their problem if you crash their car....Your problem if you crash yours....

I would think that they would tell customers picking up their car during colder weather about the tire issue , and if they choose to drive, so be it...

I agree with the dealership.....

Buy somewhere else if you are so upset with the dealership....It would be better for everyone.....
Makes one wonder if these folks who blame the dealership would allow someone to test drive a car THEY were selling in really crappy weather and then refuse to sell it to them because it might be a dangerous drive home
Old 01-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by harmonyp
This is probably a bad comparison, but what the heck. I have a 2000 Acura TL. It was my daily driver for 150K miles. I love the car to this day and won't sell it. Lots of folks I work with have newer to new TLs. They LOVE them. They tell me how fantastic they are. I drove a recent model, and didn't like it at all. Quite fortunately, as now I commute in a vette!

Why should anyone take your word for it that they'll love a car. It's for them to find out. How much can you tell about a car in 10 minutes. For me - everything I need to know to determine whether or not I want to buy.

I still call BS on this attitude of you don't need to test drive a car.
They (Chevrolet dealers) started this cr@p when the C4 came out, and tightened the noose ever since. Frank Parra Chevrolet in Irving, TX instructed their salesmen to deny any request for a test drive. They said, once you buy it, then you can drive it. I learned this by requesting a test drive, was turned down and offered a test drive in a used Corvette if they had one in stock. But NO new Corvette was to be test driven.

Originally Posted by rbartick
So you test drove it, loved it (of course), but did not buy it? That is exactly what the dealer in the OP is trying to avoid. Unnecessary miles going on joy rides.
Tough. That's the nature of sales. When you decide to get defensive with an interested buyer, you're trying to lose the sale. Were I the OP, I would stay on that dealer to get a test drive, then do whatever was necessary not to buy it from them. I would instead use their price as a price to beat by the dealer I did buy from.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:29 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Were I the OP, I would stay on that dealer to get a test drive, then do whatever was necessary not to buy it from them. I would instead use their price as a price to beat by the dealer I did buy from.
And you wonder why dealers don't allow test drives.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by sprtplt
Nope. Any test drive is also "on" the OP's insurance. The dealer's carrier would subbrogate the OP's carrier.
You are assuming that the person test driving the car has insurance at all. You don't have to own a car or insurance to ask to test drive a car, just a license.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:36 PM
Torch Red C7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Tough. That's the nature of sales. When you decide to get defensive with an interested buyer, you're trying to lose the sale. Were I the OP, I would stay on that dealer to get a test drive, then do whatever was necessary not to buy it from them. I would instead use their price as a price to beat by the dealer I did buy from.
So you would test drive a car with absolutely no intention of considering purchasing the car, no matter how the test drive went. Very unethical and another reason why dealers need to beware of non-serious tire kickers.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:42 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Eric Michael Stepp
What is the issue? Since I need to be educated. It can't possibly be that I am the one that needs to be liable.
I have not read through all the posts in this thread, but you had five of the first 12. Enough for me.

People have already advised you what to do; wait for a warmer day or buy something else. But you seem intent on arguing.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Old 01-19-2014, 04:44 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Torch Red C7
So you would test drive a car with absolutely no intention of considering purchasing the car, no matter how the test drive went. Very unethical and another reason why dealers need to beware of non-serious tire kickers.
Let Joe go rent one if he wants to have fun at another's expense.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:49 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Interesting. Complaining about dealers not giving rides.....elsewhere there is a thread about buyers complaining about their new car having 5 miles on it. If I was a Chevy dealer I'd say no to any Corvette sales. Too much hassle.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 958 Likes on 500 Posts
Tech Contributor

I once heard a dealer friend of mine that wins CSI awards all the time say that the reason dealers are such jerks is the public are jerks too......

I agree 100%.....

Quick Reply: Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?