C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When did you fall in love with the Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Limey25
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very recently for me. When I first saw the C7 was the first time I paid attention.

Being a Brit, we obviously had a lot of European cars adorning our bedroom walls including my underdog favourite, a TVR Chimaera.

But since moving to the US I have been steadily appreciating more and more the value for money that muscle cars bring and with the C7 a true sports car that can more than hold its own. I will admit my ignorance as I recall a TV presenter pushing in the rear end of a C6 , with quite a bit of 'flex' and thinking it was just cheap and plasticy.

However, as I've been falling hard for the C7 I've also found more of an appreciation for the lines and performance of older Vettes so you could say I've come over to the light side

When you realize that in the UK, they will charge over $100k for a Z51 (I think not even a 3LT and not a whole load of options), really makes my mates jealous when they see pictures of my baby to be. Over there, for what I'm spending, I could probably get a base Audi TTS - I think I come out ahead

As a side note, I love the passion and enthusiasm for this car and look forward to joining the club.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Mikeceli
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

When I was 8 I went with my Dad to "Rumplick Chevrolet" on Long Island. I saw and sat in a new 1963 Coupe in the showroom.

I became a "Car Guy" that very day.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:23 AM
joz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 11 and living in Mexico in 1992 . My neighboring was a famous boxer (Julio Cesar Chavez) and he had a C4. Compared to all the ugly Japanese and regular American cars in my small Mexican town I was in love with his car (he also had Lamborghinis and ferraris of the time but I made a goal to have a corvette then. I finally could afford my first corvette at 29, and now at 34 I have a C7 Z51. I'm exited for tomorrow about the reveal of the C7 Zo6!
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When I was about 11. My dad said he wanted one and then I started pointing them out when I saw them. I like the C3s and C4s. But when the C5 came out (I was about 14), I was smitten! I knew I was going to get one somehow and I worked my butt off until I did.

Just like with the C5, when I saw the C7, I said to myself, "Self, you're going to get one of those even if you have to knock over a bank and some nuns while running out."
Old 01-13-2014, 03:13 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by ENCT
I hate to say I am not in love yet. I have never driven a Corvette and have only sat in a C7 once. I sold my 2014 GT500 based on my first impression and am looking forward to a new relationship with my Stingray. I hope it is all I have heard about.
Eric
yea, me too, kinda. except i actually sat in 2 different ones. never drove. do like the looks, but sorry guys, its still just a car. i say that, with the proviso that i do not believe in love at first sight. maybe after "driving" "her" a while i ll , well, you know, "get into" her. yea, i know, pretty lame. feeble, even.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:16 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by gthal
In 1980 when I was 8... Dad bought a 1978 Vette and it was the first time I loved a car. It was unfortunately written off when I was 17. I fell under the German spell for the next 23 years of my life until this past January when the launch of the C7 caused me to fall back in love. I remember seeing the C7 and thinking "finally" and "I need one now".

With the C7 and the coming Z06, I think it will be a long term love affair :thumbs"
so, january, hunh? take delivery yet?
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Pretty much explains it all...

http://www.ah6le.net/index.php/cars-n-stuff
i had heard abut this, so they actually do have corvette clubs? how do i find out if there are any near me--i might join one. i seem to be really popular with those on this site, so it might be fun.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 AM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

It was when I first saw a C4(dont laugh)I had to have been around 11 or 12. I remember looking for the ZR-1 emblem on the rear bumpers whenever I saw one pass by. I used to bug out when I did.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:02 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I fell in love with the Corvette in 1967 and I was 12 years old. It was a 1967 Corvette coupe with a 427 tri-carb, 4 speed, red/red interior/stinger hood w/ black stinger stripe. It was love at first sight.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:33 AM
hudgman
Instructor

I was 8 years old living in Alabama. My cousin had just made the Crimson Tide Team and purchased a new 63 split window coupe. A few months later he broke his leg and was not able to drive it. My aunt drove it everywhere and I fell in love with them riding with her.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

I think a better term than "when did you fall in love with your corvette" would be "when did the corvette 'fever' hit you". that was the terminology used in the past to describe getting hit by the corvette bug. In fact there was a magazine way back when called Corvette Fever.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Growing up on the side of a race track while my dad raced his Corvette's, are some of my earliest memories. Our family vacations were/are scheduled around classic car shows. I think I first became aware of the extra special-ness that is the Corvette when my dad bought a '69 427 Big Block to restore. It showed up on a flat bed truck and was rolled into our garage. My mom left angry and my dad and I had the largest smiles. From that exact moment I knew I was my father's daughter.

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 01-14-2014, 03:47 PM
c6rod
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 20 Posts

Default First time

1956 when I saw my first 1956 model. Did not care for the 53-55 design or their lack of HP but the 56 did it for me. I was 14 years old and only 4 years away from owning my first one. A 1958 270 HP, Silver Blue 4 speed with 4.11's. Haven't been without one since. C7 coming.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

When I test drove the c5 I would end up getting was the day I fell in love. I was 19, I had my first car, a 2000 focus hatchback, for 4-5 months and decided to get a sports car because I could afford one. Coming from a small town, growing up I only knew of one corvette my friends grandparents had and thought it was pretty cool. It was when I was on autotrader looking for a sports car that I realized how cheap vettes were. I was also interested in the 350z. If it haven't been for a dissagreement with the 350zs owner about a crack in the windshield, I would have gotten the Nissan. I test drove a boxter and didn't feel it at all, that's when I really started to look at the vette. First one that was in my price range I didn't really test drive it because I was intimidated by how low it was to the ground, so I only really drove it literally around the block. But I did like it. I told the owner I would call him tomorrow after I talked to my bank to get things ready.he said he would hold on to it for me I called back the owner the next day and his wife told me he had already sold it. I was bummed but my interest in corvettes grew. Even though I had taken an autos hop class, I didn't really know jack about cars. Horsepower/torque were kinda oblivious to me. I shake my head now because I almost got a Nissan instead of a vette. So a month passes and it's almost Christmas. I see a cheap c5 on autotrader that's a couple hours away and call the owner immediately. I drive down the next day (on Christmas Eve) to look at the car. I arrived in the morning and got to test drive the vette on the empty streets in engelwood because it was the weekend. When the front body seemed to lift up as I put my foot on the gas is when I fell in love with the car. A month later because of corse there was some difficulties, the car was mine. I got into the vette culture and was the start of a beautiful relationship. Unfortunately I don't have a corvette anymore and reminiscing now makes me very sad. But I'm always looking forward to the day I get another, hopefully in 1-2 years I'll have a c6.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I saw the C7 in real life in September 2013 and realized GM actually built a car without excuses.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

When I demo drove one at this thing here in Vegas called the GM drive. For like 20 dollars you could pick 2 vehicles to drive around a mini track. I picked the GTO and the Corvette. The next day I went to my dealership and bought the GTO. But I always wanted a corvette so I eventually traded the GTO for the vette. This was in 2006 I believe
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 PM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

'72-'73, I was 5 or 6, and I saw a C3 and knew it was the Mach 5 in real life. I was smitten. My license plate, on order, MYMACH5 !

Get notified of new replies

To When did you fall in love with the Corvette?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 PM
KingMotley
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
When I saw the C7 in real life in September 2013 and realized GM actually built a car without excuses.
August 2013 for me. I was talking with one of my cousins about buying a new car, and I had picked out a list of 3 that I was considering. The corvette wasn't one of them. My cousin had a C6, and I didn't like it. My aunt had a C5 (when they were new), and I didn't really like it much either. But, he said I should go look at the new C7, that they redid a lot of it, but begrudgingly I went and looked anyhow -- just to shut him up. My first google result was Jay Leno's garage video (
), and I was literally sold. I called my local chevy dealer the next day and started the process of buying one.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:24 PM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

My dream car was always a 1979 Trans Am, and Corvette (1980-82) was a close second. Fast forward to 1987 I just graduated from Air Force Pilot Training and started looking for a 79 Trans Am. Problem was all the 79 T/A's were ratted out or beginning to show signs of rust/wear. Parked next to a Trans Am I was looking at was a Red/Red 1981 Vette that was stunning! I bought it as a Graduation from Pilot Training gift to myself!!! Had 3 more since, all 1981's and in 8 years, when I retire from my airline job I plan on walking into my local dealer and ordering a new C-7! factory delivery!!,
Old 01-14-2014, 09:38 PM
RMcoolX
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My uncle's friend would drop by in his late model white C3 back when I was in high school. I wanted one ever since, but life got in the way. Finally, at 45 years old, I was able to buy a brand spanking new white C6, which is the modern day C3 (in my mind at least) that I fell in love with a long time ago.

Quick Reply: When did you fall in love with the Corvette?