Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default NPP exhaust question

stupid question.

My car came with out that option. Is it something i simply add or does the ECU have to be programed for the flaps to open ?
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 474 Posts
Tech Contributor

It's a whole diff set of pipes , valves and other things, not a simple software upgrade...
Old 12-10-2013, 05:41 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Glen e
It's a whole diff set of pipes , valves and other things, not a simple software upgrade...
maybe i was not clear. If i install the NPP exhaust will the car automatically know that? or is based off RPMS /back pressure ?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
FOOTR 1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too late! Gonna have to go after market to get the sweet sound of a Real Corvette. (Sorry all you non-NPP guys and gals.) There are some really good systems out there for about the same price or less. You won't be able to control it from the dial in the different modes.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Meh - I've been known to go have one or two beers in the late afternoon. I don't need to call attention to myself with a loud exhaust.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by HummelS
Meh - I've been known to go have one or two beers in the late afternoon. I don't need to call attention to myself with a loud exhaust.
then you switch it off, no worries.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by themonk
then you switch it off, no worries.
What I was replying to was the suggestion for alternatives to NPP - I do know you can control NPP. I didn't order it, since "loud" is not part of my psyche, and I would never have used it.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:27 PM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Looks like no one wants to help ya......its easy an no issues....have at it
Old 12-10-2013, 07:51 PM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by HollywoodC7
Looks like no one wants to help ya......its easy an no issues....have at it
so just bolt the system and it will work? great !
Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I'd suggest you try the stock system for a while before you decide. It's not the NPP but it is not bad. Hammer the car and its a pretty sweet sound. An aftermarket system from what I have been seeing will be north of $2K.

I doubt the switch out to an NPP will be a bolt and go. Before I'd believe that I'd want to see that someone actually did that.

What you should do is see if you can snag a ride in a NPP car before you go too far.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

I would be willing to bet that the software would need to be completely changed for the NPP to work correctly. Since software ties directly to a vin; I'm guessing GM would have to provide "custom" software for your car, otherwise any future updates might wipe out the NPP code.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Matt26
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tome
I would be willing to bet that the software would need to be completely changed for the NPP to work correctly. Since software ties directly to a vin; I'm guessing GM would have to provide "custom" software for your car, otherwise any future updates might wipe out the NPP code.
If i remember correctly the exhaust mode option is present in non-npp cars in the menus, it just doesn't do anything.

I'd love to see under a non npp car to see if the wiring harness is there. It may not be which will present the real challenge. You would have to go back to the c6 style using vacuum.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:52 PM
tome
Melting Slicks

Received 321 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt26
If i remember correctly the exhaust mode option is present in non-npp cars in the menus, it just doesn't do anything.

I'd love to see under a non npp car to see if the wiring harness is there. It may not be which will present the real challenge. You would have to go back to the c6 style using vacuum.
Maybe one of the tuners on here who sell computer tunes can check the tables to see what is there.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 PM
tonysrep
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretty elaborate with the cylinder cancellation

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
vegasredz062
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I'd suggest you try the stock system for a while before you decide. It's not the NPP but it is not bad. Hammer the car and its a pretty sweet sound. An aftermarket system from what I have been seeing will be north of $2K.

I doubt the switch out to an NPP will be a bolt and go. Before I'd believe that I'd want to see that someone actually did that.

What you should do is see if you can snag a ride in a NPP car before you go too far.
Yea, I will give that a shot. I have a feeling its not as simply slapping on the exhaust.

maybe BB exhaust will chime in.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:07 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

My guess is that once more cars are out there and modified we will see a C7 version of the "NPP in a box" type kits.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 AM
jl240z
Racer

Default Npp

I did not order the NPP upgrade, but I still have a chance to add it as my order is still prelilm status. I am looking at the pictures of the NPP both in this thread and those in the parts for sale section. I am probably wrong but the exhaust pipes diameter look the same on both systems all the way back to the cans maybe abouot 3" dia? The outlets don't look like they increase in diameter until after they exit the cans. They actually look smaller in dia than the main pipes. They even sort of look like two different diameters then they hit the tips and expand and then flare. I wonder if the outer ones with the electric controlled butterfly valves are bigger and if the baffles inside the cans are different as well. I don't think the non-NPP system has the second set of baffles, so four pipes all exit the same size. I don't think putting 4" diameter tips ILO of 3" stock diameter tip does anything but look bigger. I have never heard a stock system next to a NPP system but am sure the NPP a is a bit louder but I wonder if its worth the $1200 upgrade. Right now as far as I know I cant get anything aftermarket for much less than $1500-2000. So the factory upgrade is cost effective if nothing else. I know the NPP is mostly about tuning for sound but I keep thinking if I wait some time I can get a better system that does both sound and upgrades performance. I don't really need more performance (I know, "bite your tongue!!) but I don't want the car to sound wimpy either. When I had my 2000 C5 FRC, I got a set of titanium cans from a new ZO6 and they sounded great. Hopefully the non NPP will do for now. Ill just turn up the volume on the music.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jl240z
I did not order the NPP upgrade, but I still have a chance to add it as my order is still prelilm status. I am looking at the pictures of the NPP both in this thread and those in the parts for sale section. I am probably wrong but the exhaust pipes diameter look the same on both systems all the way back to the cans maybe abouot 3" dia? The outlets don't look like they increase in diameter until after they exit the cans. They actually look smaller in dia than the main pipes. They even sort of look like two different diameters then they hit the tips and expand and then flare. I wonder if the outer ones with the electric controlled butterfly valves are bigger and if the baffles inside the cans are different as well. I don't think the non-NPP system has the second set of baffles, so four pipes all exit the same size. I don't think putting 4" diameter tips ILO of 3" stock diameter tip does anything but look bigger. I have never heard a stock system next to a NPP system but am sure the NPP a is a bit louder but I wonder if its worth the $1200 upgrade. Right now as far as I know I cant get anything aftermarket for much less than $1500-2000. So the factory upgrade is cost effective if nothing else. I know the NPP is mostly about tuning for sound but I keep thinking if I wait some time I can get a better system that does both sound and upgrades performance. I don't really need more performance (I know, "bite your tongue!!) but I don't want the car to sound wimpy either. When I had my 2000 C5 FRC, I got a set of titanium cans from a new ZO6 and they sounded great. Hopefully the non NPP will do for now. Ill just turn up the volume on the music.
I got it just so that I won't mod the car! Once you get a exhaust system then you have to add a headers, then intake, then tune, then supercharger!

The NPP is great for those that want to add headers but don't want the loud sound 100% of the time or if you live in one of those states, as I do where State cops like to write exhaust tickets.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:04 AM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tonysrep
pretty elaborate with the cylinder cancellation
I would take off the cylinder de-activation and then go to a simple cat-back stainless-steel mid-pipe. Then I would have two different stainless-steel axle-back mufflers to choose from and to swap.

Weight savings would about 20 pounds on the engine and about 30 pounds on the exhaust. And then there's not a computer running the muffler

Get notified of new replies

To NPP exhaust question

Quick Reply: NPP exhaust question