2015 orders

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 974 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Swath
"For those wishing to purchase a new Stingray at invoice...Chevrolet dealerships are businesses not charities"

Ahh but he was willing to be generous and "let the dealer keep the hold back money"... Like that's enough to keep a dealership running.

As a business owner I agree with you, I choose not to do business with people who do not understand it takes money to employ people and keep a business healthy. I target and only work with customers who want me to make money so I'll be there when they need me and not be run into the ground by nickel and dimming.

Unfortunately most have a negative view of a dealer and think they make too much because they have a nice showroom or lots of inventory. If they traded places with you for a day they would be shocked to see how much it costs to run a business well.

However it's the dealers at MSRP+ that I do feel deserve to be knocked around. There is no other explanation other than gouging to take advantage of the situation purely to pad their bottom line. I truly hope you and the other vendors benefit from their greed and help those get cars without getting screwed.
Well written, thanks
Old 01-11-2014, 07:52 PM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfMoon
Base coupes, yes. Some of us want Z51s though (and not the Premier edition colors) which are not really sitting around.

Yeah, I agree about $1500, but what would concern me is a $1500 base MSRP hike + a substantial hike in the Z51 package cost, which could happen and equal a sizeable increase. Since the Z51 has been on some kind of constraint forever the logic is sound that they could increase the price.

Just price out the individual parts of the Z51 package such as dry sump which on it's own would $4 to $5K+. It's a steal at todays price $2800 I see no where but up.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:20 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Wow... lemme guess.. you're an OWS supporter If you think $2K profit is "enough", you're woefully ignorant of what it takes to run a high overhead business. And car dealerships are HIGH OVERHEAD.

Then again, it's none of your damn business HOW much profit a business makes. If you don't like how much they make, go somewhere else...sheesh
The way I see it........it is my job to get the best deal I can as a purchaser. I would guess most dealers are smart enough to know what they can take for a car and survive. I have lived in small towns all my life and I am happy to report that the local dealers usually live in some of the nicest homes. For those of you who don't know, most of the money made by dealerships comes from charging $100/hr + for labor and making at least a 33% profit margin on parts. A good mechanic in a small town is doing well to be paid $20/hr. from the same dealership. We all know the same dealer who is more than happy to sell you a Malibu at 300-500 over invoice is now wanting MSRP to $10k over MSRP for a Z51 corvette. Those getting $10k over MSRP are making close to $20k on a car after their 3% hold back is factored in. I personally refuse to be gouged and pay more than GM even says it's worth. In summary, everyone should push for the best deal possible. If you don't look out for yourself who will. As far as dealers giving away the store give me a break!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=rashoe1;1585888877] you could leave a deposit at anytime with most dealers, i presume. if you do decide to buy one, make certain that its from conti or kerbeck, or the handfull of mega dealers. the smaller dealers will likely never see them, or if so, 6 months +.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr. ice
True....but that too will change grasshopper
true. it will go from poor to not available. hop on.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:42 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by thedofuss
That explains why dealers are dropping the prices and inventories are starting to build. Unless GM plans to go out of business again.....there will be more Corvettes than they can push out the door. Look at the 2013 C6......13K off sticker and 0% interest for 72 months. You are a fool to think the same won't be true with the C7. Are you 12.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=thedofuss;1585895119]
Originally Posted by rashoe1
you could leave a deposit at anytime with most dealers, i presume. if you do decide to buy one, make certain that its from conti or kerbeck, or the handfull of mega dealers. the smaller dealers will likely never see them, or if so, 6 months +.
Why do people say things they don't have a clue about
Old 01-12-2014, 01:20 AM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The C6 was discounted because of the demand for the C7. The older body style had been around since 1997 so the new Vette is the one to have. I hope the current body style will at least not change in the next 2 or 3 years. " Inventories are increasing", NOT yet for the Z51 cars.
The future is not ours see but only to give WAGs.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:55 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The way I see it........it is my job to get the best deal I can as a purchaser. I would guess most dealers are smart enough to know what they can take for a car and survive. I have lived in small towns all my life and I am happy to report that the local dealers usually live in some of the nicest homes. For those of you who don't know, most of the money made by dealerships comes from charging $100/hr + for labor and making at least a 33% profit margin on parts. A good mechanic in a small town is doing well to be paid $20/hr. from the same dealership. We all know the same dealer who is more than happy to sell you a Malibu at 300-500 over invoice is now wanting MSRP to $10k over MSRP for a Z51 corvette. Those getting $10k over MSRP are making close to $20k on a car after their 3% hold back is factored in. I personally refuse to be gouged and pay more than GM even says it's worth. In summary, everyone should push for the best deal possible. If you don't look out for yourself who will. As far as dealers giving away the store give me a break!!!!!!
I totally agree... I will not pay MSRP or be gouged and Chevrolet better start thinking about lowering cost/prices, not increasing them.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 AM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after following this thread it seams simple to me, some people are happy to pay MSRP and realize that every now and then a business is able to make a few extra bucks based on supply and demand. The other side wants to hold out, beat up, and or wait until the sky falls to get a deal. To each their own as that is what makes the world go round. I like to get products and services at a fair price, I am a contractor and feel the same about my business practices. If the economy is booming and contractors are in short supply labor rates go up, and the opposite holds true. I have paid MSRP twice in my life, once for a 1995 911 and now with the C7. Would I rather get $4000.00 off, sure but I am not willing to wait.
Neither side is right or wrong. Maybe we should all post our financials and how well we did in the market last year, what our credit score is, our health situations and age, our debt, what we pay for insurances ect.. so we all make an educated assessment of who is right and who is wrong.
I am paying MSRP unless things go a little South by the time my car comes in and I get a small discount. I am fine with my decision and I promise I will not ask anyone on the forum for any help making my payments. I hope everyone enjoys their cars if and when they get them.
Eric
Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

[QUOTE=thedofuss;1585895119]
Originally Posted by rashoe1
you could leave a deposit at anytime with most dealers, i presume. if you do decide to buy one, make certain that its from conti or kerbeck, or the handfull of mega dealers. the smaller dealers will likely never see them, or if so, 6 months +.
I try to deal locally and support the local community. I have nothing against the so called mega dealers, actually they set the market discount pricing. This time round I am waiting longer for my order advance, first car I ever ordered this early in a new series where allocations are scarce. The plus, warranty work is only down the street at the dealer where I purchased (don't have to convince dealer to service what they didn't sell). The other factor, Winter - actually really don't want car until spring.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ENCT
Well after following this thread it seams simple to me, some people are happy to pay MSRP and realize that every now and then a business is able to make a few extra bucks based on supply and demand. The other side wants to hold out, beat up, and or wait until the sky falls to get a deal. To each their own as that is what makes the world go round. I like to get products and services at a fair price, I am a contractor and feel the same about my business practices. If the economy is booming and contractors are in short supply labor rates go up, and the opposite holds true. I have paid MSRP twice in my life, once for a 1995 911 and now with the C7. Would I rather get $4000.00 off, sure but I am not willing to wait.
Neither side is right or wrong. Maybe we should all post our financials and how well we did in the market last year, what our credit score is, our health situations and age, our debt, what we pay for insurances ect.. so we all make an educated assessment of who is right and who is wrong.
I am paying MSRP unless things go a little South by the time my car comes in and I get a small discount. I am fine with my decision and I promise I will not ask anyone on the forum for any help making my payments. I hope everyone enjoys their cars if and when they get them.
Eric
Well said..and well thought out. You may confuse the irrational..

PS I grew up in Springfield back in the day...
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Larry/car;1585896310]

I try to deal locally and support the local community. I have nothing against the so called mega dealers, actually they set the market discount pricing. This time round I am waiting longer for my order advance, first car I ever ordered this early in a new series where allocations are scarce. The plus, warranty work is only down the street at the dealer where I purchased (don't have to convince dealer to service what they didn't sell). The other factor, Winter - actually really don't want car until spring.
+1
Old 01-12-2014, 02:02 PM
thedofuss
Drifting

That explains why dealers are dropping the prices and inventories are starting to build. Unless GM plans to go out of business again.....there will be more Corvettes than they can push out the door. Look at the 2013 C6......13K off sticker and 0% interest for 72 months. You are a fool to think the same won't be true with the C7. Are you 12.
name calling? really, "a fool"? cant you do better than that? come on, thats not even close to the vette brotherhood standards.........class on.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Dr. ice
Melting Slicks

Sorry if my prior comment hit a little too close to home......but what do you mean to "go from poor to not available" perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

In all honesty you can not compare the production numbers of the C6, after the recession started, to the production numbers that we will see in 14 and 15. Even the shakey real estate market is on a strong recovery. Yes there are those who are looking for work but they are not ever going to be Corvette market types.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:27 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

i will bet they are going to make Z51 a "Z52" and charge additional $$$$ and make the old Z51 a little lighter on what it gives (maybe just brakes and rear gear upgrade?).. Only makes sense for them to do it.. plus all the maniacs that have to have top of the line of whatever it is (myself included) will opt for the Z52 lol sucks to be a car junkie doesn't it?
Old 01-13-2014, 04:14 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Sorry if my prior comment hit a little too close to home......but what do you mean to "go from poor to not available" perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
likely you did. however, at this point let me close with this thought--i prefer to not converse with someone who, without knowing anything about me, calls me a fool in a public forum, particularly over such an insignificant issue. take care and be well.

Quick Reply: 2015 orders