Sponsored by:

Fence sitter questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
BaseballDude
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fence sitter questions...

Since I detect a lot of sensitivity on the C7 board lately , a quick to all you early adopters! Well played!

I'm in no hurry to replace my DD '02 Z06 w/75K on the ticker. But I'm also a realist and when this car starts groaning for spare parts (clutch, etc.), it's going to get expensive. I'm equally convinced that my next DD will be a Stingray, just not so certain of build year.

I have analyzed the issues threads to determine if I'm better off just waiting to see what the 2015's have that is enhanced or improved? Or do I eventually stalk a late production 2014 with low miles? I'm more than aware of the current wait times to order a 2014 at the moment, and I've read about enough quality gremlins out of the first batches to avoid anything that was produced in the first 3-4 months of production.

Final car will be trimmed w/2LT, Z-51, carbon roof, comp seats, exhaust upgrade and painted calipers. Leaning toward CG ext., with the idea of possibly that 8-speed automatic. I have other "stick" performance cars to have fun with, so I'm thinking my DD can shift on its own for a change. So waiting to place an order (to get what I truly want) may be my only true option vs. stalking the classifieds on low mile pre-owned. Like I said...I'm a realist.

Again, no hurry so appreciate all constructive feedback. Thanks!

-Dean
Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Nick2k14Z51
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BaseballDude
Since I detect a lot of sensitivity on the C7 board lately , a quick to all you early adopters! Well played!

I'm in no hurry to replace my DD '02 Z06 w/75K on the ticker. But I'm also a realist and when this car starts groaning for spare parts (clutch, etc.), it's going to get expensive. I'm equally convinced that my next DD will be a Stingray, just not so certain of build year.

I have analyzed the issues threads to determine if I'm better off just waiting to see what the 2015's have that is enhanced or improved? Or do I eventually stalk a late production 2014 with low miles? I'm more than aware of the current wait times to order a 2014 at the moment, and I've read about enough quality gremlins out of the first batches to avoid anything that was produced in the first 3-4 months of production.

Final car will be trimmed w/2LT, Z-51, carbon roof, comp seats, exhaust upgrade and painted calipers. Leaning toward CG ext., with the idea of possibly that 8-speed automatic. I have other "stick" performance cars to have fun with, so I'm thinking my DD can shift on its own for a change. So waiting to place an order (to get what I truly want) may be my only true option vs. stalking the classifieds on low mile pre-owned. Like I said...I'm a realist.

Again, no hurry so appreciate all constructive feedback. Thanks!

-Dean
I think that putting an order in on a 2015 will be your wisest move. There were/are some production problems with early '14s to be sure but it is a great car regardless of that. But to have a car that's been built with even minor improvements is peace of mind for sure.

A friend of mine had an '03 Z06 that started getting to quirky for him to fix all the time. After riding in my Z51, he can't believe how much power and refinement the car has over his old Z. You will be amazed at the difference between your past and future Corvettes.

Wait for the 2015...it'll be a bit more expensive most likely, but it will also most likely be a better car overall too. Whatever decision you end up making, I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely!

Nick
Old 01-10-2014, 08:21 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I am going with a 2014 convertible. Ordered, hopefully will arrive before summer. I will have a new Stingray now instead of having to wait till next spring. Why wait?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Dean, if you live in a cold weather state like me where there is a Corvette "season", then if you wait to order a 2015 you will lose 2/3 or more of the season before you get the C7. If you drive your Corvette all year round, I guess it doesn't matter all that much.

However, there is a big, big difference between the C5 or C6 and the C7. You will LOVE this car. I suggest you get one sooner rather than later.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the process.

Mike J
Old 01-11-2014, 01:22 AM
78PC
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Wait

I think the car will only get better as there are several issues with the new model as is generally the case with any new model. I've read Navigation problems, HVAC problems, seat warmer issues, back-up camera issues. I'm waiting until the bugs are worked out. I made the mistake of a new 2005 and experienced nothing but frustration.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:32 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,406 Likes on 14,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The 2015s will most likely come out with some upgrades so if it were me, I'd just wait a bit longer and get one of them. But, by summer the 2014s should be discounted a bit and you might be able to get a great deal on just the car you want.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:20 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 78PC
I think the car will only get better as there are several issues with the new model as is generally the case with any new model. I've read Navigation problems, HVAC problems, seat warmer issues, back-up camera issues. I'm waiting until the bugs are worked out. I made the mistake of a new 2005 and experienced nothing but frustration.
Wellllllllll yes and no, while yes some early production cars had issues I think the later ones we're/are relatively safe. Mine was produced the week of 11/11/13 and as of right now I have yet to experience none of the problems that other people are posting. Now whether that's a fluke I don't know but with 900 kms on the clock so far so good. Also don't forget, and I know it's a small consolation but if he was to buy a 2014 he will be covered with factory warranty.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Wait for the 2015 since you already have the 2002 Z06 to drive around till then. Order the exact car you want from a top forum dealer in January for the best price and likely no constraints as the novelty of the C7, as fabulous as it is, will have worn off.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Baseballdude,
If I had an late model Z06, I'd have to stick it out with that model. If I didn't, there would be a dozen 2015 Z06's within 10 miles of my house, constantly reminding me of what you could have bought, but didn't....

Imagine if you brought home a 2014-15 (non)Z51 or Z51, you know the first thing everyone's going to ask you,

"didn't you have a Z06 before this one?"

"Well... Why didn't you get the new Z06? You had that 2002 Z06 for so long we thought you liked it?"

And no matter how you respond, it will come across that you're either desperate or getting too old!!

We all know that age is a simple matter of perception, if you put it out there, it will be. Stepping down in models would be a textbook example of this. Soon, you may start to notice that dreaded "old person" smell & you can't seem to wash it off, or even worse you may catch yourself chewing on nothing at all!?! Sitting there at a traffic light in a 2015 base model vette, gumming the hell out of nothing but AIR!!!

It's just a thought...

Wormwood
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Dean, I had a 2002 Z06 and loved it. But the new Stingray is so much more fun to drive in my limited ownership. Go with the 2014 now and enjoy it. If you decide to wait for the 2015, the Z06 is the right one for you.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:21 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

You could wait for a 16' or 17' because even more improvements with a possible HP bump may occur. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM
FOOTR 1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wormwood
Baseballdude,
If I had an late model Z06, I'd have to stick it out with that model. If I didn't, there would be a dozen 2015 Z06's within 10 miles of my house, constantly reminding me of what you could have bought, but didn't....

Imagine if you brought home a 2014-15 (non)Z51 or Z51, you know the first thing everyone's going to ask you,

"didn't you have a Z06 before this one?"

"Well... Why didn't you get the new Z06? You had that 2002 Z06 for so long we thought you liked it?"

And no matter how you respond, it will come across that you're either desperate or getting too old!!

We all know that age is a simple matter of perception, if you put it out there, it will be. Stepping down in models would be a textbook example of this. Soon, you may start to notice that dreaded "old person" smell & you can't seem to wash it off, or even worse you may catch yourself chewing on nothing at all!?! Sitting there at a traffic light in a 2015 base model vette, gumming the hell out of nothing but AIR!!!

It's just a thought...

Wormwood
Yikes what a perspective!

Not sure I would view going from a 02 405hp to a 10 year newer 460 , most tech advaced car as taking a step back. Second, I could care less what friends say or interpret about my reasons. If they question it they have zero knowledge of Corvettes so why put credence in what they say.
Third......holy crap on the chewing on air thing. That's actually very funny! But I get the point. Most, not all, Corvette buyers are entering a stage in life where its time to start enjoying the fruits of their labor. Life is too short to not enjoy a Corvette if you REALLY want one. One can always find reasons to delay......then they die. Dont have regrets.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:38 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

It is always a timing versus refinement issue.
The 2013 C6's were the best C6's built, but would today you rather have best C6 or a new C7?
Even with today's engineering and manufacturing capabilities, the first 1,000 cars or so will see issues until the production line is 100% tuned.
I don't think you will see a huge step up in production quality or features for the regular C7 for 2015; GM has put all their eggs into the Z06 basket for 2015. In 2016, we will likely see upgrades to the regular C7 - do you really want to wait 2 years?
Living in the northeast, my choice was to get a later production 2014 with delivery in mid to late March, which allows me to drive it for 8 months this year - if I waited for a 2015 and received it in late August, I would only have 2.5 months or so.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Wormwood
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Footr,
None of that stuff would really happen, I don't think. Also there is a WORLD of difference between 2002 Z06 & 2014 Z51. so much difference, that one might consider trading-in like Dean has mentioned. However, the Z06 always overshadows everything when it's around. You have to say the Z06 has got a presence about it, & it's not retardly expensive like the ZR1, so there's enough of them around that you'll run into them. If Dean's been driving a Z06 since 02, I just think he'll regret buying a lesser model especially when the new Z06 is about to be released. It's almost like trading-down in year models...

It's just a different perspective & I don't think Dean would start to smell old

Wormwood
Old 01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by 78PC
Kinda apples and oranges as the problems you list above are mostly firmware issues that a reflash corrects. That was not the case in the 2005 as those were mainly mechanical.

With few exceptions, I have seen no major mechanicals with the C7
Old 01-13-2014, 10:56 AM
BaseballDude
Race Director

All great inputs...thank you!

To answer some questions, I drive in So Cal so the weather is usually always good. I've had my '02 C5Z for five years (bought from original owner with 19K miles). That's why the ~75K miles is so low. Daily commute of ~35 miles round trip (mostly freeway).

Not sure I can "step up" financially to take on a new C7Z. My guess is that car will sticker closer to $100K once the right boxes are checked. I would be selling my C5Z private party as part of the process (not a trade-in!). I can live without the Z factor...the factory 460hp can be breathed on with bolt-ons and make 500+ if I get bored with a base car.

-Dean

Get notified of new replies

To Fence sitter questions...

Quick Reply: Fence sitter questions...