Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default 2014 corvette stingray track preparation

The 2014 Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package has been designed and engineered to be a world-class sports car for the track. But before unleashing its acceleration, cornering and braking capability, there are several key procedures and steps that must be taken in order to properly experience its track prowess. For full details and information, see the vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Check out the attachment!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Corvette_TrackPREP_Final.pdf (94.1 KB, 2345 views)
The following users liked this post:
jrzybil (01-26-2018)
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM
thespymaster
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great post !
Old 01-06-2014, 03:30 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Thanks !!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:53 PM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Interesting...
This is almost exactly what I used to do on my 1999 Z51 coupe when I tracked it. I drove it 115,000 miles combined street and track and it was running stronger than new when I sold it.

Here is what I used to do:
  • Use Mobil 1 15w50 oil
  • Bleed brakes 100% with Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid every 6 months or 4 track days whichever was sooner
  • Set alignment for track use
  • Change manual transmission and differential fluids at least once per year
  • Change clutch fluid to Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 fluid and replace every 4 track days
  • Replace brake pads and rotors every 2-4 track days depending on the track
  • Rebuild brake calipers every 6-8 track days
  • Replace power steering fluid every 6-8 track days (we don't have to worry about this one any more)
Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow some real ammo for it gm ever denies warranty for claiming track use and denying a claim
Old 01-06-2014, 10:02 PM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
wow some real ammo for it gm ever denies warranty for claiming track use and denying a claim
makes me want to get my money back from my scheduled 1 day PBIR track day.
Do you have to do this if you are going to do 4 ....20 min sessions.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Great summary and info!! Thanks for posting.

Some items... like changing brake fluid back to OEM for the street, etc... I will skip but the vast majority of this is great info.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
Are you signed up for the weekend in Feb? I'm wondering what prep I would need to do as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

What are brake rotor cooling rings? I would be interested to see a pic.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:00 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does anyone happen to have the stock alignment specs. I hate changing back and forth. I usually try to find a compromise that gives good on track performance without killing the tires on the street. Very nice to have a recommended set up though to start with.

Ken
Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
sandu002
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
What are brake rotor cooling rings? I would be interested to see a pic.
You will find these in the trunk cavity.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Originally Posted by track junkie View Post

The Corvette Stingray Z51 will arrive at the dealership with a package of aluminum rings and wire. These are called out as brake rotor cooling rings. These rings are to be provided to the customer and are not to be installed during the PDI process. The cooling rings are for customer use if they elect to use the vehicle in a competitive driving event. The directions are outlined in the 2014 Owners Manual under "Competitive Driving". The rotor rings are for off road use only and must be installed to prevent brake fade in competitive events.

Caution: Do not leave rotor cooling rings installed after a track event, as this can cause corrosion with long-term use. Rotor cooling rings are for race track use only. Race track driving without the rotor cooling rings may result in brake pedal fade.

Installation:

1. Remove the front wheels.
2. Cut three 150 mm (6 in) lengths of safety wire specified to T304 Stainless Steel, 0.041 in nominal diameter, not included.
3. Form each into a U shape with a 20 mm (0.75 in) flat area in the center of the wire.
4. Place the rotor ring in the gap between the rotor brake plate and rotor hat, with the holes on each side of the rotor spoke on the outboard side of the rotor.

1. Place the U-shaped wire through the holes in the rotor cooling ring.
2. Bring the ends of the wire tight around the corresponding rotor spoke.
3. Twist the safety wire into six to eight twists per inch.
4. Bend the twisted wire so it is flush with the inside of the rotor ring to prevent contact with the caliper or brake hoses.
5. Verify that the rotor rings and safety wire do not contact any other components.
6. Reinstall the wheel using the specific lug nut torque. See Capacities and Specifications in SI.

If additional brake cooling is required, the grill mesh in the lower corners of the front grill in front of the brake duct can be removed. This is not reversible, and a replacement grill will not be covered by the warranty. If this is done, it is recommended that the gap between the fascia and the cooling duct be taped over.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously the idea behind this is that the air being ducted to the center of the rotor will be trapped by the band and directed through the rotor instead of partially by passing. These rotors do not appear to be vented directionally. Time will tell, but this looks like an add on fix for fade problems.

Cheers,

Ken
Attached Images   

Last edited by VERBOTEN; 01-07-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added note
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM
adamsocb
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
If you use the Valvoline synthetic DOT 3/4 brake fluid you don't need to change it back and forth.

In warm climates like CA and FL I think it is fine to leave the 15w50 oil in all the time. You may see a slight drop in MPG but the thicker oil should not hurt anything as long as temps are 40F+.

As for the brake disk rings, I would think it is OK to leave them in as long as you are not driving the car in the rain and you be sure to dry out the disks with some compressed air if you wash the car.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:58 AM
VNAMVET
Le Mans Master

Received 392 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by ImBlackMomba
Are you signed up for the weekend in Feb? I'm wondering what prep I would need to do as well.
Feb 1st.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

My first track weekend here, where we are currently caught in the Polar Vortex, will be April 25-27th at Mid Ohio. I'll be instructing.

K
Old 01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by dvandentop
The disclaimer is still in the warranty……..Guarantee GM will void if they find out(with the usual dealership relationship question thrown in).
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 PM
ImBlackMomba
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question for you seasoned vettes... My car is not a Z51, nor do I plan to "track" the car. What I do want to do is take my car on a closed road coarse and drive it legally over the speed limit. My C5 was a Z51, my C6 wasn't but it had an upgraded suspension, and they both were "driven" on open country roads when I lived up north.

Is there a prep recommendation for guys like me who just want to get out and play for a day or is there a special class or track day I should look for?

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 corvette stingray track preparation

Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 AM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ImBlackMomba
Question for you seasoned vettes... My car is not a Z51, nor do I plan to "track" the car. What I do want to do is take my car on a closed road coarse and drive it legally over the speed limit. My C5 was a Z51, my C6 wasn't but it had an upgraded suspension, and they both were "driven" on open country roads when I lived up north.

Is there a prep recommendation for guys like me who just want to get out and play for a day or is there a special class or track day I should look for?
The National Corvette Museum is having a track day at Sebring this year. They have a pretty good checklist of what to check before going on the track.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:05 AM
Stingray Sam
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
The disclaimer is still in the warranty……..Guarantee GM will void if they find out(with the usual dealership relationship question thrown in).
Will void if they find out what?
Old 01-08-2014, 08:45 AM
sandu002
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I plan to follow instructions for before tracking the car. The only thing I see doing after the event is removing the hub rings. I always check fluids and brakes afterward anyway, so removing rings should not be a big deal. I agree their is no need to switch back the fluids. I would go back to recommended weight oil at the next oil change unless you have another track day coming up.

Quick Reply: 2014 corvette stingray track preparation