Sponsored by:

Chevy Corvette Stingray goes high-tech with Performance Data Recorder

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I watched the video.

If you have used an aftermarket system that is similar you would find the C7 system to be extremely laggy. Maybe its an early software build but asking the infotainment system to do the work given the fact its not even fast enough to change radio favorites in under 3 seconds I think the usefulness of the final data may be neat to someone who wants track video but not enough for someone who wants to make a useful interpretation of the data.

It's a cool feature but I wonder what the option price will be compared to an after market system?

[edit] I watched the toolbox video and it seems better there but seems like lags in data points are pretty big.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-15-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:30 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I watched the video.

If you have used an aftermarket system that is similar you would find the C7 system to be extremely laggy. Maybe its an early software build but asking the infotainment system to do the work given the fact its not even fast enough to change radio favorites in under 3 seconds I think the usefulness of the final data may be neat to someone who wants track video but not enough for someone who wants to make a useful interpretation of the data.

It's a cool feature but I wonder what the option price will be compared to an after market system?

[edit] I watched the toolbox video and it seems better there but seems like lags in data points are pretty big.
Yeah, I keep wondering why GM didn't put a faster processor in the infotainment system. I feel they really cheaped out here because the interface is actually very basic and doesn't do much. Yet, it lags in nearly everything. I'm a UI software engineer and I know what it takes to make an interface do what it's supposed to do as far as performance and efficiency. Either they used the slowest processor they could get away with or they have an extremely inefficient system.

I read a bit about the API for the MyLink system and it seems it's mostly HTML5/JS which means that they're using something with less processing power than a phone or they decided not to use an efficient rendering engine. That's pretty disappointing.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 AM
wan65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ersin
Nah. It goes straight to the NSA.

Just kidding. LOL.

Cheers.
It wouldn't surprise me if it did, have you seen were nsa can listen to you through an I-phone even when its in idle mood, "not using it".

Quick Reply: Chevy Corvette Stingray goes high-tech with Performance Data Recorder