Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 01:17 PM
dmsick
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a little concerned about this issue. I bought my C7 from a dealer about 75 miles from where I live. I tried to buy from my local dealer but they couldn't get what I wanted when I wanted it. I'll see what happens when it's time for service. But I won't be surprised to get a less than enthusiastic response.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:20 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks Bill

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
That sux Jaime. just curious how many miles do you have on it now?
75 lol. I had that scare then snow today so covered till Spring. I'm glad we chose our dealership. I only put about 500m a year on my Vettes so not worried about poor dealerships but it would have been cool if they offered to look at my car, I can't imagine they had many of their own C7 customers with their cars in service. I was gonna cover it until Spring until Glenn mentioned the loose battery cable. I would have flatbed it up to NH in the Spring which is stupid with Paul Masse Chevrolet right in my.back yard. A lot of drama with this new C 7. Maybe they will change their policy for local C7 owners once they outnumber their original customers. Drive safe Bill
Old 01-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Sorry to say but me thinks because it is a low volumn car some dealers don't care.

OP consider yourself lucky... at least they were up front with you. Worse case would be they took it in and took their pissed off attitude to your car.

What I did was before shopping for the car went to the local dealer and said I wanting to buy such and such. He sells a few but could not or did not, don't know which could not get me what I wanted. In the conversation he and the service manager both said good luck and bring it here for service. Asked me to bring the C7 in ASAP for them to look at it which I did. They empied out the place to look at the car. I said to the sales manager and service mgr... we good?? And they said yes no problem.

My point is with a little communication a lot of problems could be avoided. Did the OP give this dealer a shot at his business? Did he say I wanted to buy local but 70 miles away is a big dealer? Did he ask will you service it? Heck being that close I would of even offered a courtesy delivery to give the local guy a bone. All about forming positive relationships.

Not defending the dealer but he knows he can't or won't compete with Mac. He knows the drill and this is the response he's chosen.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default Good point

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
Sorry to say but me thinks because it is a low volumn car some dealers don't care.

OP consider yourself lucky... at least they were up front with you. Worse case would be they took it in and took their pissed off attitude to your car.

What I did was before shopping for the car went to the local dealer and said I wanting to buy such and such. He sells a few but could not or did not, don't know which could not get me what I wanted. In the conversation he and the service manager both said good luck and bring it here for service. Asked me to bring the C7 in ASAP for them to look at it which I did. They empied out the place to look at the car. I said to the sales manager and service mgr... we good?? And they said yes no problem.

My point is with a little communication a lot of problems could be avoided. Did the OP give this dealer a shot at his business? Did he say I wanted to buy local but 70 miles away is a big dealer? Did he ask will you service it? Heck being that close I would of even offered a courtesy delivery to give the local guy a bone. All about forming positive relationships.

Not defending the dealer but he knows he can't or won't compete with Mac. He knows the drill and this is the response he's chosen.
I gave two locals a shot. Neither had allocation for TR Z51 black wheels,CF etc. I had prob 3 discussions and 3 visits with the local dealer before I pulled the trigger with Macmulkin. Like I said I put on so few miles I didn't think it was an issue. I've had my Z06 new since 01 and prob done 4 oil changes, a new battery and ins sticker in 12 years.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:36 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by jaimeleger
75 lol. I had that scare then snow today so covered till Spring. I'm glad we chose our dealership. I only put about 500m a year on my Vettes so not worried about poor dealerships but it would have been cool if they offered to look at my car, I can't imagine they had many of their own C7 customers with their cars in service. I was gonna cover it until Spring until Glenn mentioned the loose battery cable. I would have flatbed it up to NH in the Spring which is stupid with Paul Masse Chevrolet right in my.back yard. A lot of drama with this new C 7. Maybe they will change their policy for local C7 owners once they outnumber their original customers. Drive safe Bill
Wow dude only 75 and rear differ light came on. Well at least you got to drive it some. Can you believe I am up to 2700 miles and had it only 2 and 1/2 weeks. Going to put the tint on it today. I think it got to use the local dealership 2400 miles is too far to go for an oil change.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Thank you for indirectly mentioning the unhelpful dealer,

Paul Masse Chevrolet in East Providence RI.

From the Facebook page it's not a small dealer. Largest new Chevrolet inventory in the state.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks OP

Paul Masse, I will add that GM dealer to my boycott list along with Berterra Chevy in Palmer MA (who I had bought 2 cars from in the past)

Under no circumstances should a dealer refuse to service a warrantied brand new car, that is slimy tactic and most likely a contract violation of their GM franchise.

Again thanks for posting, there was no excuse to being treated that way. Also can't believe some posters think that the dealer was right to snub warranty service for being snubbed on the sale!?!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,148 Posts

I gave two locals a shot. Neither had allocation for TR Z51 black wheels,CF etc. I had prob 3 discussions and 3 visits with the local dealer before I pulled the trigger with Macmulkin. Like I said I put on so few miles I didn't think it was an issue. I've had my Z06 new since 01 and prob done 4 oil changes, a new battery and ins sticker in 12 years.
Curious did you ask them since they have no allocation and you want the car..........did you discuss service with them??? I told my local guy straight up...... I need you for service and he warmly agreed. 15 miles up the road is another dealer who had a car but we could not agree to terms. He too invited me to come back for service.

No doubt your local dealer is a hardA$$ but I can't believe you have to go back 70 miles? Is there not another dealer you can try? I'm in a smallish town in Ohio and there are probably 15 chevy dealers within 30 miles.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:11 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
makes perfect sense; service departments are very afraid of negative surveys. On a high tech car; they expect some slack from a loyal customer if the warranty repair doesn't go smoothly (versus someone that's never purchased a car there - doen't live in the neighborhood) .
Do people really give slack to the service dept, just because they happen to buy the car at that dealership?

I would think any Corvette owner would expect the same from any service dept., regardles of whether it happens to be part of the same dealership where the car was purchased.

One thing to ask this dealership is whether they service ONLY C5s and C6s that are still owned by the original owner. If the answer to that is NO, meaning they services all C5s and C6s, then this dealership has some serious explaining to do on why their rules are different for the C7.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 01-02-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
sorry I was a bit short...of course, customer relations via a call can get the dealer on the line and try and force him to do the service, but if he's really a jerk, he'll say "ok, but it'll be two-four weeks as i"m booked " or some other crap, and CR can't do a damn thing about that.. I've seen it for years. He can say his tech is overloaded, they can slow walk parts...forget it...and also, he does not want a bad survey he knows you're gonna give 'em.

Frankly if this happened to me, I would call cust relations and have them set up a appt at ANOTHER dealer. Because once you force a dealer to do work he does not want to do....what kind of work do you think he's gonna do???...like sending a meal back and having the chef spit in your meal!

WHAT IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT is I would want no part of a dealer that gave me that response. Warranty money is good money to the dealer, and any of the major chains like Penske or AutoNation don't give damn where you bought it..screw him find another dealer...

And for others, if you're buying from one of the forum dealers like I did, and have not take delivery yet, pay a visit to a few local stores and ASK if they will service it. I did, found two dealers close that said "no problem" after I asked for the GM....And don't call or email, GO SEE THEM.
There's a lot of truth to the above. I personally would not want this type of dealer to touch the car, but that is me.

However, if you are really stuck with no other dealer around, you could contact Chevy Roadside Assistance, tell them the problem you are having and say you are afraid to drive the car due to possible further damage, and they will tow the car to the NEAREST dealership at no cost to you (since the car is under warranty). At that point the dealer will not be able to refuse to look at the car.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC6AZ
Do people really give slack to the service dept, just because they happen to buy the car at that dealership?
Negative GM surveys are serious business.

talk to a service manager of a dealership yourself; away from the place of work.

Repeat local customers are more neighborly - friendly; more likely to cut their own townspeople a little slack.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Rhode Island, eh....again. Seems like this was covered once before, and a search in the CF bar above would've shown Simon Chev. in RI as being one that wouldn't service a new C6. Yes, I know: it's not a C7.

Out of the 199 posts on that thread, someone got the bright idea to do a "write in" and maybe a "call in" too. Somehow, some way, the dealership got the message. Do the service.

This also happened once before in San Jose to a large dealership that decided it couldn't take the "heat" of being exposed on the largest Corvette forum, as well as the calls and emails streaming in steadily.

Anyone on here getting any ideas?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-new-c6.html
Old 01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

I was told flat out Cant help me since they are only servicing C7s they sold. Funny the receptionist asked me prior to connecting me to service so obviously I wasn't the first person to be asked or told this. I asked him twice and got the same answer-it was made very clear. Since it was a rear axle deal I was very Leary to drive to NH having heard of problems with low fluids in the early Vins. Ron checked with service yesterday on his own and called me back on his day off to tell me mine was checked and in the system as fine. He also suggested contacting Customer Service on this dealer and was shocked as well. No confusion. Hopefully this is an anomaly. Drive safe all
This is exactly why they have Customer Assistance Centers. Call them and tell them of your experience - they should set that candy@$$ dealer straight.

Customer Assistance centers are open Monday through Saturday, from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
Customer Assistance - 1.800-222-1020
Old 01-02-2014, 06:24 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default therein lies the problem...

Originally Posted by Glen e
GM customer service has very little or no control over things like this...just find another dealer...
"...very little or no control..."
Old 01-02-2014, 06:25 PM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Default Simon

Originally Posted by AORoads
Rhode Island, eh....again. Seems like this was covered once before, and a search in the CF bar above would've shown Simon Chev. in RI as being one that wouldn't service a new C6. Yes, I know: it's not a C7.

Out of the 199 posts on that thread, someone got the bright idea to do a "write in" and maybe a "call in" too. Somehow, some way, the dealership got the message. Do the service.

This also happened once before in San Jose to a large dealership that decided it couldn't take the "heat" of being exposed on the largest Corvette forum, as well as the calls and emails streaming in steadily.

Anyone on here getting any ideas?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...my-new-c6.html

Funny you mention Simon Chevrolet that's where I purchased my second Vette in 2001. Maybe why they no longer sell Corvettes at that dealership. They were a pretty big Vette dealer in RI ten years ago.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Had the infamous check rear axle light warning yesterday. Called MacMulkin where I purchased the C7 a few weeks ago and they suggested taking it to the local dealer in town who sells a considerable number of C7s if I was concerned about driving it 75 miles to NH. I called my local dealer in town and was first asked by the receptionist if I bought the car there, then by the service department. When I told them I didn't buy it at the dealership, has 70 miles on it, live around the corner, and if the could check it for the common software issue they said no because I didn't buy it from them. I'm not sure who was more surprised, me or Ron at MacMulkin who Called me right back on his day off. Being a GM car, and brand new I was surprised they refused to help me. Seems like sales discrimination. Glad I got it at MacMulkin even if I have to tow it up or drive up for maintenance. A special thanks to Glenn on the forum for suggesting to check the battery cables-it did the trick.

My third Vette in 12 years, prob not my last and won't be buying from the local dealer after this. What happen to the corvette brotherhood lol. Drive safe and happy new year.

This is a load of crap. They have absolutely no reason to refuse service. How many people do you think a dealership services that didn't buy their car from them. I just moved and needed an alignment. Should of the dealer said drive back to the other side of the country and talk to the dealer who sold me the car? No. I would call the dealership again and talk to a high manager. If that doesn't get someone fired, talk to GM, and maybe even call the Better Business Bureau.

This is so much garbage, I don't think I have ever been upset more for something that wasn't politically related.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Solo40oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buck-I
To be fair, who pays for the mechanics to be trained to work on C7s...

Is it GM, or the dealer? I'd bet it was the dealer.

You snubbed them on they sale, they snubbed you on service. Seems fair to me.
Originally Posted by Buck-I
amen

Short term thinking buyers will be punished by dealers, and service will go to the dealer oriented purchasers. It's a beautiful thing

:-)
When you go to your local grocery store and they are out of food, and tell you that when (if) the food does come in they are going to increase the price.....are you going to wait and starve or are you going to go to a different store that has food at msrp?

Get notified of new replies

To Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there

Old 01-03-2014, 04:06 PM
xmarine99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our local Chevy dealer has been the same way for 30 years.Nearest other dealer is 100 miles away.If you bought a new car anywhere else he would take it in for service but you might wait for 3-4 weeks for it to be worked on.After my first experence back in 88 I wouldn't buy even a spark plug from the SOB.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo40oz
When you go to your local grocery store and they are out of food, and tell you that when (if) the food does come in they are going to increase the price.....are you going to wait and starve or are you going to go to a different store that has food at msrp?
And if there's something wrong with that food, feel free to return it to the place of purchase....

Although I don't agree with being denied service, I totally understand dealers putting customers who purchased their car from them first. That's the way it should be.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
GN1270
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that all ended when we bailed GM out and they got to void all of their contracts and that is when they were able to weed out and shut down all of their crappy dealerships? You would think that somewhere in the new contract GM would have put a provision in there that all dealerships must service the brand of car they sell.

also OP, why did you not just go to the next town over to another Chevy dealership? There are plenty in your area.

Quick Reply: Local dealer no help since I didn't purchase C7 there