Originally Posted by svtkeith
Totally!!
Buy back...
Old 12-26-2013, 05:39 PM
billbunton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Understand. On a side note......unless his state has lemon laws, I'd be hugely surprised if GM agreed to that. And even then, I'd be surprised if they didn't fight it tooth and nail ("Hey, we've agreed to replace the entire engine over a silly coolant leak")

Anyway...........
Except that GM didn't "agree", it was GM that insisted...

New Mexico does have a lemon law, it's four repair attempts on the same problem, or more than 30 days out of service. I doubt lemon law would fly and the dash rattle, though it's already been in four times for that :-). We'll see how long I'm waiting on the new engine.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

How many miles on your car?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:01 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, come on, guys. A new car?! You serious?

It's a freaking engine leak. The engine doesn't make the car. ALL of the car makes the car. If anything else isn't broken, especially anything detrimental to the car, why would they replace an entire car over something that can be fixed with a a new motor? That's just ludicrous. What are they going to do with the rest of that used car? Place another motor in it and sell it at a major loss? GM isn't going to replace the car and the dealership definitely isn't going to give up a car over warranty work.

Come on, people. It's not a big deal to replace a motor. It's not going to change anything about the car. All the motors are the same now.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:13 PM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

if the engine isnt mated absolutely perfect to the torque tube, the engine will fail, and you will need another engine.
the tolerances are very slim for the connection between the tube and the engine
Old 12-26-2013, 06:15 PM
E.T.D. Corvettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,531 Likes on 2,323 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by vetteship
Wanted to deposit my 2 cents on this issue, but Jagamajajaran' call name keeps distracting me, what does it mean anyways ?
Sorry to distract you!

Well, before I even started dating my wife, we were spades partners in college. Our column on the score sheet would be titled "JAG" when we would play. My name is Jeremy and her name is Gina, thus the JAG for Jeremy And Gina. Well, we have five kids now so now we're not just JAG, but JAGAMAJAJARAN (using the first letter of each of our first names in order by age). And since it can actually be pronounced as a six syllable word, we use it to represent the Magnificent Seven who make up my little family!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 862 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
This is not a collectible car! Sorry

If anyone thinks the Stingray is a collectible car, they need to sell their own Stingray immediately because it will never be worth a penny more than it is right now.

Sorry...
Old 12-26-2013, 07:35 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by B747VET

If anyone thinks the Stingray is a collectible car, they need to sell their own Stingray immediately because it will never be worth a penny more than it is right now.

Sorry...
1 800 222 1020 call Chevrolet customer service I think the dealer is giving you the run around. If GM said replace it no problem they would pull one from line if none in the system. During the holidays people have off from work. Your rep maybe out of town visiting his family. A short phone call gets the ball rolling for you.
z51vett
Doug
Old 12-26-2013, 07:40 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

It would be great ideal if GM would buy the car back, but it's going to be quicker to have them replace the engine. The car is under warranty and it can't be that that hard for a competent tech to install a new engine. There have been a number of rear end replacements that solved problems and the owners weren't demanding a new car. I think you should try to let the dealer make the repairs authorized under warranty rather than fight them. A numbers matching C7 isnt going to make a bit of difference in its value if you trade or sell it. I'd go for the avenue that gets the car back for you to enjoy the fastest.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Shodanusmc
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Chances are the y will replace the engine, and if the OP thinks he has a rattle now, just wait.

Went thru 2 engine replacements under warranty. One on a 69 RoadRunner in 69, and once on a BMW in 2000. Just not the same, and naturally they said I had the best working on it. Long Block or SHort Block? Be nice if they just gave you a new car but very doubtful.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:59 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
It would be great ideal if GM would buy the car back, but it's going to be quicker to have them replace the engine. The car is under warranty and it can't be that that hard for a competent tech to install a new engine. There have been a number of rear end replacements that solved problems and the owners weren't demanding a new car. I think you should try to let the dealer make the repairs authorized under warranty rather than fight them. A numbers matching C7 isnt going to make a bit of difference in its value if you trade or sell it. I'd go for the avenue that gets the car back for you to enjoy the fastest.
Some dealers "competent techs" have trouble changing oil....
Old 12-26-2013, 08:12 PM
bluedevilc7
Advanced

I would like to know if this motor replacement issue would show up on his car fax report? Would you purchase his car, let's say four years from now with this on his car fax?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
billbunton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Racerdj
How many miles on your car?
It's got about 5300 miles, vin 302.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:22 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sotirisf
if the engine isnt mated absolutely perfect to the torque tube, the engine will fail, and you will need another engine.
the tolerances are very slim for the connection between the tube and the engine
I find this very hard to believe because the clutch is up front. You still have to drop the torque tube to get to the clutch when you replace it.

If there's a crazy tight tolerance, then I'm sure that the bolt pattern that lines up the bell housing and the engine is super tight too, to prevent any deviation from the spec tolerances.

MANY Corvettes with this layout have undergone part replacements that have required the torque tube to be detatched from the engine. I'm pretty sure the OP will be OK.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:05 PM
maxxvette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They (GM) probably want your engine to see what made it fail . and make sure it didn't happen again with future cars being produced . This is good for others , but not so much for you . As for a buy back , a friend of mine , (after my constant insisting) had a c6 vert with a terrible silver paint job (bad modeling on both sides and decklid) was bought back for for every dollar he paid , including tax after 3 months of use (We both worked at a GM Plant)... But he had to buy another Chevrolet product . This was at the end of the C6 run and couldn't find another Corvette that suited him , so he ended up with a killer 1 of 86 Hotwheels 2SS convertible , 6-speed manual , Camero . Hope they do the same for you ...
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
sotirisf
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I find this very hard to believe because the clutch is up front. You still have to drop the torque tube to get to the clutch when you replace it.

If there's a crazy tight tolerance, then I'm sure that the bolt pattern that lines up the bell housing and the engine is super tight too, to prevent any deviation from the spec tolerances.

MANY Corvettes with this layout have undergone part replacements that have required the torque tube to be detatched from the engine. I'm pretty sure the OP will be OK.
Look for a post on this forum, someone had the tube dropped in order to replace a fuel pump.
When they put the tube back, there was a very small variance, the cam wound up being marched out of its sitting, and car wound up stalling due to computers not being able to detect RPM's, which was because the cam was moved forward and out of position.
the stalling and loss of RPM signal was a symptom- in the end the engine had to be replaced.
If I find that thread here, I will link it.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,435 Likes on 14,048 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Oh, come on, guys. A new car?! You serious?

It's a freaking engine leak. The engine doesn't make the car. ALL of the car makes the car. If anything else isn't broken, especially anything detrimental to the car, why would they replace an entire car over something that can be fixed with a a new motor? That's just ludicrous. What are they going to do with the rest of that used car? Place another motor in it and sell it at a major loss? GM isn't going to replace the car and the dealership definitely isn't going to give up a car over warranty work.

Come on, people. It's not a big deal to replace a motor. It's not going to change anything about the car. All the motors are the same now.
GM would be nuts to agree to replace the entire car over a coolant leak.

Get notified of new replies

To New engine?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 PM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I'm sure the dealership and GM is doing everything they can at this point.
Did you happen to miss the part about waiting two months for the GM rep to look at the vehicle???????? and it hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:39 PM
TulsaVette
Safety Car

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
Not really. I'm just the kind of buyer who doesn't like hearing or seeing documentation that the mileage on the car isn't the same as the mileage on the engine and that somewhere in the past there was a significant issue with the car. When I buy or sell a car, I like full disclosure, and a replaced engine on a late model car has always been something that I have avoided. I know there are other buyers out there like this, which can affect the resale.
You mean like buying a car that has had every panel replaced???? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:05 PM
binster
---------
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Replaced Engine = Major Repair = Diminished Value

Trade-in and or private sale in future will take a hit because of this on the GMVIS report. Car's history will have a major blemish, causing future buyers to either ask for deep discounts or buy elsewhere.

Quick Reply: New engine?