Sponsored by:

Corvette delivery fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 09:37 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Corvette delivery fiasco

There is probably very few people on this Earth that have been more emamered with Corvettes over the Years then me......That not only goes for the Car, but everybody associated with its Evolution over the Years....
But on a few Occassion there have been times when I become Exasperated by some of there Busness Decisions......I realize with a public Corporation the "Bottom Line" is all that counts...
BUT BUT there is Tunnel Vision when it comes to Certain Decisions they have made over the Years......I will not bore you with "what they are", "BUT" this Decision to ship By Rail on most East Coast Deliveries blows my Mind....
It now looks like most of us Buyers whose cars are being built between Nov 20th and January 15th 2014 will have to Endure in most case a 30 Day Delivery Process.
First a Truck Ride to the likes of Toledo Ohio--then a Train to Philadelphia then a Truck when they have a full load for the area Destination....
Did GM ever take up Geography or look at a Map??......Yes- going West I by...Boy I can just see these covers flying around when the open Air Trains reach 90 MPH......
Well Good news GM is going to revisit this cost saving Strategy when they reopen...
Look for shipping in the Eastern and Southern half of the US to return to Trucks..But for now a build finish for a 2014 Corvette of December 9th(for example) is Delivery date of January 9th...
Pity the Dealer also-- he starts paying the Floor plan on these cars when they are invoiced which is about a week after Build...
Okay Enough......Harvey
Old 12-23-2013, 09:55 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

I think most agree Harvey.....this rail decision seems insane.

Maybe they should should just raise the shipping cost a little and put them all back on trucks.

Or, raise the shipping cost more, do away with the disposable covers and ship them all in enclosed truck trailers.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 PM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
I think most agree Harvey.....this rail decision seems insane.

Maybe they should should just raise the shipping cost a little and put them all back on trucks.

Or, raise the shipping cost more, do away with the disposable covers and ship them all in enclosed truck trailers.
Just raise the price of the Z51 PKG
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 PM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Not a big fan of the trains. IMO they should raise the price of the cars a little to cover the cost to ship them by covered trucks..
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Wonder what they are doing with cars going to Cleveland and Columbus? Hope they don't truck them to Toledo then wait for a train to go 100 mile east.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been driving Corvettes since 1972. During that time what Chevrolet does has boggled the mind so many times. And if there was a good reason for doing what they did they NEVER explained themselves to the public. When they last used to haul by train we were told that they stopped that because of too much damage when shipping by rail. I wonder what happened to get them to go back to rail. You can bet the bottom line was that there would be a savings to GM somewhere. Its well past time to take Customer Satisfaction into consideration.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP is impossible to read. And, working in the industry, as well as, having logistics experience, trains are the right decision.

-bZj
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a solution to the OP's problem: NCM delivery option!
Old 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM
Oshuwah
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Down8
OP is impossible to read. And, working in the industry, as well as, having logistics experience, trains are the right decision.

-bZj
Speaking of impossible...try your impossible grammar. Never start a sentence with AND, oh, and you, abuse, commas.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Bmbl-Bee
Burning Brakes

Received 355 Likes on 187 Posts

I just took delivery of my C-7. It was trucked from Bowling Green to Toledo. Put on a train from Toledo to Phoenix. Then trucked from Phoenix to a dealer in Tucson where I received the car. This process took approx. 14 days. At first I hated the idea of my car being shipped by train. After seeing the train cars used I really thought the car was better off on the train. The train cars are almost fully enclosed. On a truck the cars are exposed to the elements and also exposed to any debris that comes off of the truck or trailer tires. If going through a snow storm there could be gravel, salt and ice coming in contact with the cars in shipment. I know there is extra handling involved (that is the part that really bothered me), but I tell you my car was perfect when delivered. I was very surprised and happy with the whole process. I am as picky as anyone about my car. I went over it with a fine tooth comb before I took delivery and was thrilled with the condition of the car.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:52 PM
MeanDean43
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I for one think Harvey is a bit off with his timing. My car was built on November 20th (although it wasn't posted 3800 until the 22nd.) It was posted 4B00 on the 27th of November, and shipped on either the 11th of December (according to the dealer) or the 4th of December (according to On Star) and it's not here yet. As a matter of fact, it doesn't seem like anyone has any idea where it is right now. (I bought the car from Kerbeck in NJ, and I'm having a courtesy delivery made through Fichtner in Montana.)

"Dude, where is my car?"
Old 12-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Art H.
Advanced

My car built on 12/3 arrived in Calif today.....20 days total
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by SpartyGW
Here's a solution to the OP's problem: NCM delivery option!
They'll still charge you a destination fees of $800+, the factory and the Museum are across the street from each other
Old 12-24-2013, 12:43 AM
Down8
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oshuwah
Speaking of impossible...try your impossible grammar. Never start a sentence with AND, oh, and you, abuse, commas.
http://www.writing-skills.com/gramma...th-and-or-but/

The was an errant comma, however. Sorry.

-bZj
Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 AM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, you got your uppercase letters of the alphabet and you got your lowercase letters of the alphabet and they tend to abide in there somewhere or other amongst all the other uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet but they have little to do with railroads.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Seapar
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordered 9/4; z51, etc

My C7 was built 11/21; started its trip to seattle 11/22. It was trucked to toledo, OH where it sat over the thanksgiving holiday and was then on the move 12/3 on a enclosed railcar. It arrived in seattle 12/11 and was trucked to the dealer 20 miles away 12/13. I saw the car just after arrival with the cover intact and then picked it up later that afternoon after pdi. Car was excellent in fit and finish. It did travel through the midwest during the time of the winter freeze from the cold canadian air when there were were quite a few highway accidents reported. So for me out here in the pacific northwest it worked out. Just the wait was trying. Once it was in the railcar I could not track it with on star (no signal) but could get every 3 day updates on the train's progress through the dealer.
my story 21 days

Last edited by Seapar; 12-24-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:41 AM
MThomas
Safety Car

Received 117 Likes on 92 Posts

[QUOTE=GTFD2;1585747168]Wonder what they are doing with cars going to Cleveland and Columbus? Hope they don't truck them tledo then wait for a train to go 100 mile east.[/QUOTE

They are still shipping by truck to Columbus and Cleveland.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette delivery fiasco

Old 12-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Specracer
Racer

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
Well, you got your uppercase letters of the alphabet and you got your lowercase letters of the alphabet and they tend to abide in there somewhere or other amongst all the other uppercase and lowercase letters of the alphabet but they have little to do with railroads.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM
Specracer
Racer

Can't speak to how long train delivery would be compared to trucks. However, every train car that holds vehicles I have seen in many years have been enclosed! I live 2 hours from the factory so I assume mine won't come by rail!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 AM
MikeC4C5C6...C7
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

NCM delivery is a near perfect experience. Much more fun than worrying about trucks and trains. Well worth the cost.

Quick Reply: Corvette delivery fiasco