Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Learning to drive a manual again...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 06:51 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Learning to drive a manual again...

It must be 30+ years since I've owned a manual. But...it's like riding a bike for me. However...is it just me or is 1st gear difficult? No issues driving the car in any gear, but I must say that I must focus and be on my game in 1st gear. No feathering allowed, it's either on or off so it seems.

I'm getting better with it, but that first gear has been a little learning curve for me! Feel like a darn rookie!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber
It must be 30+ years since I've owned a manual. But...it's like riding a bike for me. However...is it just me or is 1st gear difficult? No issues driving the car in any gear, but I must say that I must focus and be on my game in 1st gear. No feathering allowed, it's either on or off so it seems.

I'm getting better with it, but that first gear has been a little learning curve for me! Feel like a darn rookie!
I went through the same re-learning process. I found out if I get my seat position much closer than I thought I needed, I can manual shift like I always have....try it.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:36 PM
JPK_NJ
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just picked up my asp C7 this past weekend and am in the exact same boat with 1st gear. Maybe the clutch just needs to be broken in a bit. I'll admit I'm new to manual and probably suck right now but all other gears are fairly reasonable. Still in the choking under pressure stage / stalling when it counts so I'm staying off main roads for now. When I'm on a side road with no one around you can actually get the car moving with just clutch (no gas) but it's a real slow/gradual process. Not to be used at quick traffic lights
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 PM
beachcomber
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

frumnuttin....I'll try that - good suggestion!

JPK - I hear ya...me too for now. Plus I live in Colorado with the hills...so even more pressure to 'perform'!

This afternoon I drove a friends Porsche and no issues with 1st gear, just like it was 30 years ago. Something different in this C7, thats for sure. For me at least! I'll get the hang of it in time, however at a stop light on a steep hill...and I start to freak out just a little.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:46 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by beachcomber

Have no problem with the C7 but found my C6 clutch was more like you describe. I found the best way to get used to it was to wear heavy stiff sole shoes! That way I wasn't trying to feather the clutch and throttle! Once I was used to the engagement back to soft shoes and sneakers! The C7 has dual clutch plates so is better but slipping the clutch to get a smoother engagement doesn't work. I have always had a standard shift car/truck and all clutches have their own personality!
On a hill you can try putting on the electric brake and when you engage the clutch it releases automatically.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-11-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
I went through the same re-learning process. I found out if I get my seat position much closer than I thought I needed, I can manual shift like I always have....try it.

I also learned to use the Hill Start Assist (HSA) to my advantage rather than try to get around it.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The clutch needs to break in, after a few miles the grabbing seems to go away, or I got use to it. Hill hold is automatic, the car senses the angle and applies the brake accordingly. Don't totally count on it, a very slight grade will not activate hill hold and the car will drift back. It is a learning curve.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:55 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

My car seemed to have a smooth clutch right from delivery at the dealers. The C6 that I traded in was also manual and it seems the C7 is easier and smoother. (The car had 4 miles when I picked it up.) Within a block of the dealer I had to stop at a traffic light on a steep grade with some nut right on my tail. All I could think was "this is a great way to start!" I readied myself for the light change, prepared for some quick heel and to work. When the light changed I released the brake and the car sat there waiting nicely for me to do my thing. It never budged and in a second I was gone! I had totally forgotten about the HSA feature. It might have literally saved my ****. I should add that in have never found HSA intrusive and it takes a pretty good grade for it to activate.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Also, if you THINK about shifting, you may screw up...but if you are not paying attention, you don't!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree, starting from a stop in 1st gear seems to be my hardest thing too since I last drove a manual in the early eighties. Starting in 2nd gear seems more normal if you don't mine Sunday driving. I'll have to see if frumnuttin suggestion of moving the seat up, makes a difference.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
Also, if you THINK about shifting, you may screw up...but if you are not paying attention, you don't!
I think we're all talking about using the clutch, starting from a dead stop in 1st gear, not shifting.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

I did not adopt this but at spring mountain they teach you to lift the clutch w/o applying any gas......... once the clutch is out then you apply the gas. works in a pit track enviorment but probably not so much on hills.

Point is there is enough torque at idle that you don't need the gas ....just a smooth release.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I drove my 2004Z06 for 10 years, but every clutch has a different feel. I found that, as mentioned, if you let the clutch out with no throttle to the engagement point, then give it throttle, it seems to engage much smoother. You may kill it a few times until you get used to it no matter how long you have driven a standard.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

Worst thing for me is when I switch between the C5 and C7.

There is a big difference between the clutch friction point, shifter location, and throw.

Was in the C5 last week, tried to shift 3-4, and missed the stick ... nothing but air.
Had to laugh.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:37 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by aj98
Worst thing for me is when I switch between the C5 and C7.

There is a big difference between the clutch friction point, shifter location, and throw.

Was in the C5 last week, tried to shift 3-4, and missed the stick ... nothing but air.
Had to laugh.
My wife's C5ZO6 has an MGW shifter. It's downright ugly when I change between her car and my C7
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM
gregd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I did not adopt this but at spring mountain they teach you to lift the clutch w/o applying any gas......... once the clutch is out then you apply the gas. works in a pit track enviorment but probably not so much on hills.

Point is there is enough torque at idle that you don't need the gas ....just a smooth release.
Interesting... I will try that - thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 12:45 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Highway 61
I think we're all talking about using the clutch, starting from a dead stop in 1st gear, not shifting.
that's what I meant....

Get notified of new replies

To Learning to drive a manual again...

Old 06-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Jodyhighroller3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going through the same problems
Old 06-12-2014, 04:08 PM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Had to get used to this car at which point in releasing the clutch. Told the salesman to use the oh **** bar as necessary and cut me some slack if I stalled as we went to get gas to give me a break as I am not used to the clutch and have to learn the points etc... I was just hoping I didn't burn my new supersports in front of the dealership

Took me a week but its like clock work now. LOVE THIS CAR
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,912 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe

That's the best way to go for clutch life, too. It also makes it easier when learning, so that you only have to concentrate on the clutch engagement, rather than coordinating with the gas. V8s are easy to learn on with all the torque. They sound great doing it, too.

If you are on a hill, you can use the two step process of partially engaging the clutch first, so it will hold the car, then apply gas while releasing it the rest of the way. Of course, with hill holder, it is much easier now.

Have fun!

Michael

Quick Reply: Learning to drive a manual again...