C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking morons

Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM
cshanne
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but really, the "unwashed masses" and "those people will probably never be able to afford one". Maybe it is just me but It is just a car. Not only that but we are lucky we can afford one, it doesn't mean it is bad if you cannot. For that matter, maybe the people can but they are just not car people.

I guess I cannot understand the point of judging people by their cars or their income. It certainly does not meant that they work less then us and it certainly does not mean that we are special where as they are not. I find this just crazy.

A parking moron that gave enough space for the OP to get in and out of his car, I see no issue. On a separate post there was some information about a vette that was hit, that is a parking moron. Hit and run is a moron, not parking appropriately. At least that is my opinion anyway.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Please tell me this is a joke, and you didn't really ruin someone's day, and cost them money to repair a tire, just because they were "too close for comfort" to your precious Chevrolet.
That was obviously a joke...
Old 12-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Don't stress. I choose my parking space wisely, park in my space centered and parallel to marking lines so as not to attract attention. I have not had any problems and if I do that is what the body shop is for. Really, I am my worst enemy, the only parking lot damage seen recently; as I was placing items in the center compartment of my C6, pushed in the clutch and car slowly drifted forward, unknown by me and bumped into the bumper block causing damage to the three front air dams. Go figure!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:48 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,635 Likes on 1,201 Posts

Originally Posted by cshanne
Perhaps I am in the minority here, but really, the "unwashed masses" and "those people will probably never be able to afford one". Maybe it is just me but It is just a car. Not only that but we are lucky we can afford one, it doesn't mean it is bad if you cannot. For that matter, maybe the people can but they are just not car people.

I guess I cannot understand the point of judging people by their cars or their income. It certainly does not meant that they work less then us and it certainly does not mean that we are special where as they are not. I find this just crazy.

A parking moron that gave enough space for the OP to get in and out of his car, I see no issue. On a separate post there was some information about a vette that was hit, that is a parking moron. Hit and run is a moron, not parking appropriately. At least that is my opinion anyway.
cshanne:

Nowhere in my post did I equate "unwashed masses" with "those people will probably never be able to afford one". You did that.

What I meant by "unwashed masses" are the all-too-common breed of people who not only don't care about THEIR cars - they also don't care about ANYONE ELSE's. These are the careless people who give you door dings and scratches and think nothing of it. Just because they are not car people (which is fine) does not give them the right to mess with my car - period.

Then, within this group, there is a special breed of a**hole that goes out of their way to either inconvenience you (by parking too close so that you cannot get in) or worse, damaging your car in some way ON PURPOSE.

I don't judge people by their cars or income, but I do judge them by their actions.

I agree that in OP's original picture, it does not appear that the other person parked too close. But, assuming that OP really did park far away, why did the other person have to park right next to his C7 at all? It simply (and sometimes literally) opens the door to damaging his brand new C7. Why? For what purpose?

Yep - it's a free country and people can park where they want, which is why I leave my collector cars at home. I don't apologize for being a "car-guy" and caring about the condition of my cars.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Nice car next to yours!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM
690 HP V
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Torchsport
I smash mirrors in these situations.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,066 Likes on 591 Posts

It never fails. Now I was just going to take the Vette for wifey & I to go and have a nice pre-Christmas Eve lunch and you talked me out of it.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 AM
whitec7
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 234 Posts

That always pisses me off, Wife had a H3 years back she came out of Wal Mart and someone pushed a shopping cart into it.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 AM
Keep 'Em Flying
Drifting

Why would somebody drive a new Vette to of all places a home improvement store?

Ever notice how the parking lot is usually filled with beater pickup trucks?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
HogwildC7
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

not surprised at all. it is like really people? yes it is a c7 corvette but it is still a chevy. some people are not just jealous they just have this ideal you paid $150k for the car. i tell every one i am blessed to have one but i not better than anyone else driving a chevy. i have bought trucks that cost more.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 AM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
So, I drive my C7 up to Home Depot to get some supplies. I park 30 spaces away from the building, 15 spaces from the nearest car. When I come out, only one of those 15 spaces is full…

The car that was parked beside you at least parked half decently.
Good picture of chemtrails.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:27 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
The thing is, this stuff happens almost every time, with every nice car I've owned. One time I parked a ZR1 in the last spot at Meijers, up against a curb, at least 25 spaces from the nearest car. When I came out there was a clapped-out pick-up parked over the yellow line, in my spot, about 12 inches from my car. Ever try to get into the drivers seat of a Vette, from the passenger door?

Luckily, I had a valve-stem loosening tool handy...
Originally Posted by Torchsport
Situations like this DO warrant the use of a valve stem tool, and I know for a personal fact they have been used................

While I see nothing overtly wrong with the parking in the OPs pic, the one above - and situations I have experienced in various cars, not just my Corvettes - are obviously intentional and are worthy of a response.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:34 AM
harlold
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
Situations like this DO warrant the use of a valve stem tool, and I know for a personal fact they have been used................

While I see nothing overtly wrong with the parking in the OPs pic, the one above - and situations I have experienced in various cars, not just my Corvettes - are obviously intentional and are worthy of a response.
situations like that require you to stand on the roof of the other persons car to get into yours
Old 12-23-2013, 11:34 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by rocknroller
I see another C7 in the picture. White one by the tree. :-)
really, where? your eye sight is much better than mine is because i don't see it.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:42 AM
SpartyGW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Should've grabbed a space next to the Camaro.

I feel your pain. To most people a car is not much more significant than an appliance and they will never get it.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:39 PM
khoeysr
Corvette fan
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 98 Posts

Unfriggin believable.

I have seen it too.

I have no qualms about parking diagonally across two spaces if I am far enough out. Agree that a longer walk is a price we pay for owning these cars, and if it helps keep them from getting dinged I am happy to walk.

Sometimes as I am walking to my car there is another person nearby. Sometimes I go, "look at that a-hole taking two spaces. Must think he's hot ***". Sometimes the person will say they agree, or shake or nod their head. Then I just keep going, get in and drive away.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Keep 'Em Flying

Why not? If you don't use it why even have it. My car will go to the mall, fast food restaurants, even amusement parks. C6 did and I still didn't put enough miles on it. Lost thousands in depreciation, I traded a virtually like new car.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking morons

Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by khoeysr
I have no qualms about parking diagonally across two spaces if I am far enough out.
I think that's just inviting vandalism. It's one thing to park far out, which I do anyway. I tell everyone I need the exercise, but taking up two spots calls even more attention to your car.

I always park on right end spots against the far right side if possible and uphill from the shopping carts depending on the way the lot slopes. Worrying about scratches and dings is one of the downfalls of owning a nice car, but you can't let it stop you from driving it.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Keep 'Em Flying

If I was buying 2 x 4s, I'd use my truck. For small stuff, on a warm, sunny day, the Vette is much preferable. It is, after all, just a normal car, not a trailer queen. I've already driven it from Kentucky to Connecticut to back to Michigan and stopped anywhere, including Kmart, on the way.

The guys who normally drive pick-ups don't bother to walk from the far reaches of the parking lot just to screw with somebody. The guy next to me probably stopped to get more duct tape and bailing wire for his car..., but thought he'd be real funny…ha, ha
Old 12-23-2013, 01:37 PM
rad928music
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
Vettrocious:

For me, this is probably the single most frustrating thing about owning a special car and it is apparently an irrefutable law of nature.

You may take a bit of solace in the fact that this is not exclusive to Vettes...happens with both of my collector Oldsmobiles as well.

Here is what I have learned through the years...you can NEVER take your Vette or other special car on regular errands where it will be exposed to the great unwashed masses. What you experienced will happen almost EVERY time. You MIGHT be able to get away with taking your special car to a high end restaurant, golf club, etc...MIGHT being the operative term...where you are more likely to encounter others who appreciate fine things. But you certainly can never count on it.

Thus, here are your choices...leave your special car home and miss out on many opportunities to drive it (which is what I do) or resign yourself to this experience being a common part of your existence.

Some people do it out of ignorance, but I think more do it just to spite you - not just because you have a special car but because you THINK it is special, made obvious by the fact that you attempted to protect it by parking far away. That is why it is a magnet for the unwashed masses - they are offended by the fact that you THINK you and/or your car are special and they simply cannot allow that to go unchallenged.

It never dawns on these low class a**holes that you worked very hard to EARN the opportunity to own a special car and you are simply trying to protect it...not put anybody down.

If your car escaped undamaged, consider yourself lucky. If I were you, I would not tempt fate too often...

Just want to add if its a Collector car and you worked on it yourself, the average person (Non car Guy) has know idea how much work you put into it because to them a car is just a point A to Point B utility.
If you park way out by yourself and take up 2 parking spaces that really pisses them off.... ooooo How dare he..
If these kinda @#$#%^ are jealous of my Old C4 then trust me they must be Lusting with Jealousy of your C7..

Last edited by rad928music; 12-23-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: change

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking morons