Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking morons

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:44 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe they just like to **** you off. Then they can come here and read how POed you really got. More likely, they just parked next to a car and never gave it another thought.

Frankly, the guy parked next to the OP parked in the middle of his own space and left the OP plenty of room to get into and out of his car.

I'm sure we'd all like to think we have "special" cars vs other people's cars but if it is so special that you can't stand someone parked next to it, don't drive the damn thing to a public parking lot.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Specracer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
The thing is, this stuff happens almost every time, with every nice car I've owned. One time I parked a ZR1 in the last spot at Meijers, up against a curb, at least 25 spaces from the nearest car. When I came out there was a clapped-out pick-up parked over the yellow line, in my spot, about 12 inches from my car. Ever try to get into the drivers seat of a Vette, from the passenger door?

Luckily, I had a valve-stem loosening tool handy...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Specracer
Racer

Originally Posted by Torchsport
Not nice!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM
nichtlangsam
Instructor

When I bought my new 2001 Nissan Altima, while I was still in the Army, my wife took our two sons to a Chuckie Cheese's in Newport News, VA. The car was probably 2 weeks old...

She parked it at the far end of a very expansive lot, as there were many other businesses there. The right side was against a curb, the left side had at least 30 open spaces between the next car. When she came out, someone had side swiped our left side. Accident?

When I purchased my new 2009 Nissan 4 door Titan, about a week later, as I was getting in it, I noticed some faint scratches on the driver's side rear quarter panel. Upon inspection, someone had keyed my truck in a z fashion from top to bottom.

I now have my dream car, and to be honest, I am scared to death to park it anywhere alone. We already decided that since it is not a DD, that we will limit it to very few if any domestic runs. If we are on a trip, and have to get sundries, one of us will stay with the car. We will swap off going in. We unfortunately have had to make adjustments to what we do to prevent selfish people from taking away from our earned enjoyment.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 AM
kdepew
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

From your picture, it seems like there are a lot of cars parked out as far as you or farther. Unless they all parked after you, I think you just didn't park far enough out. I don't think you are "safe" unless you park well beyond the normal parkers. 15 spaces past everyone on one particular row isn't enough.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

So, I drive my C7 up to Home Depot to get some supplies. I park 30 spaces away from the building, 15 spaces from the nearest car. When I come out, only one of those 15 spaces is full…
This happens to me a lot. They do it on purpose. Oh look, a Vette trying to stay away from door dings.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:14 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You all might think I'm crazy... but I always grab a spot right up front with everyone else. I even leave the roof panel off. I have NEVER had a problem. I often come out to people taking pictures of it. But that is about it.

Assume people are decent and they will treat you decently.

Assume they are jerks and park far away... they will be jerks.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

So, I drive my C7 up to Home Depot to get some supplies. I park 30 spaces away from the building, 15 spaces from the nearest car. When I come out, only one of those 15 spaces is full…
Read my post on parking lot ding/scratches.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:30 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Those dirtbags are really annoying, seems to be no avoiding them.

My wife and I are regular attendees at the local Lifetime Fitness, lots of high end cars, Maseratis and big Mercedes models being the most common.

One guy parks his very late model Bentley right in the crowd but then he’s odd, he has two baby seats in the back! Don
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

You guys worry too much( and yes I park my car far way too not to get the door dings etc). Fact is though, unless it's a brand new ZR1 etc worth a 100 grand, most of our vettes are only in the 50/70 grand category new( My 2010 LPE supercharged GS was 86,000 total cost including LPE work and today with depreciation is in the mid 40 grand value category). Even though we have big emotional attachment to our beloved vettes, it's just a car. Just like the lexus/BMW/Mercedes etc your spouse may drive and parks as close to the shopping mall entrance as possible( an may well be worth more than your vette), if it gets dinged, you fix it. Again it's just a car.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:33 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hyteck9
You all might think I'm crazy... but I always grab a spot right up front with everyone else. I even leave the roof panel off. I have NEVER had a problem. I often come out to people taking pictures of it. But that is about it.

Assume people are decent and they will treat you decently.

Assume they are jerks and park far away... they will be jerks.
I think you’re lucky. There ARE plenty of jerks out there, assuming they’re nice people won’t make it so.

Hope someone doesn’t take a blade knife to your seats. Don
Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I'm sorry, am I missing something here? The other car looks to be nicely parked and centered in their spot. Just not sure what the problem is.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by W88fixer
I think you’re lucky. There ARE plenty of jerks out there, assuming they’re nice people won’t make it so.

Hope someone doesn’t take a blade knife to your seats. Don
Oh I don't think soo...
Parking close to the building also means you are well within view of the security cameras.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:48 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by hyteck9
Oh I don't think soo...
Parking close to the building also means you are well within view of the security cameras.
That assumes the knife user is smart enough to realize there are cameras. People who do things like that aren’t smart.

Not trying to be insulting but you must have had a sheltered life or been very fortunate because craziness happens all the time and it isn’t getting better. Don

Last edited by W88fixer; 12-23-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:00 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

That assumes the knifee is smart enough to realize there are cameras. People who do things like that aren’t smart.

Not trying to be insulting but you must have had a sheltered life or been very fortunate because craziness happens all the time and it isn’t getting better. Don
There are some evil souls out there, I will agree. But I refuse to let them control any aspect of my life. Living in constant fear of things that may never come to pass just takes all the fun out of life.

I mean, taking a date on a nice drive to the movies, dinner, and missing out on the movie, the food, and the company because the whole time I'm worried that someone might harm my Vette? No way to live, I pay insurance for this, I'll prefer to relax and enjoy the date.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:09 AM
hyteck9
Burning Brakes

That assumes the knifee is smart enough to realize there are cameras. People who do things like that aren’t smart.

A few days ago, I was parked on the street by a friends house in a lower rent area of town. A lady bumped my car (brand new 2014 Mazda) with hers (old SUV) by accident. I know this because she took the time, despite being late for work, to come up the driveway , knock on the door, and give me her name, address and insurance info.

She didn't have to do that. People are basically good, don't give up on them yet.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Maybe they just like to **** you off. Then they can come here and read how POed you really got. More likely, they just parked next to a car and never gave it another thought.

Frankly, the guy parked next to the OP parked in the middle of his own space and left the OP plenty of room to get into and out of his car.

I'm sure we'd all like to think we have "special" cars vs other people's cars but if it is so special that you can't stand someone parked next to it, don't drive the damn thing to a public parking lot.
Who's pissed off? Perplexed, maybe. Are you really that obtuse? When I parked there, there were no cars around, the closest one was at least 75 yards away. You think a guy ignored 250 parking spaces that were closer to the door, walked 225 feet farther than he needed to, without any thought? The same guy who duct taped his bumper together?

Frankly, the same thing often happened with my ZR1 and 550SL Mercedes. Never, ever, happens with my Silverado. My cars aren't "special", I don't really care who parks next to me, but notice that my cars don't have rub strips. Dings are ugly and hard to fix, so I like to avoid them. You think this makes me elitist? Get a grip.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking morons

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

See, Camaros don't look that much like C7s, there is no POS parked next to it
lol, ya, I was thinking something similar.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
rick7913
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's exactly why I never take my Vette to the Mall or any other department stores!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:23 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

The thing is, this stuff happens almost every time, with every nice car I've owned. One time I parked a ZR1 in the last spot at Meijers, up against a curb, at least 25 spaces from the nearest car. When I came out there was a clapped-out pick-up parked over the yellow line, in my spot, about 12 inches from my car. Ever try to get into the drivers seat of a Vette, from the passenger door?

Luckily, I had a valve-stem loosening tool handy...
Please tell me this is a joke, and you didn't really ruin someone's day, and cost them money to repair a tire, just because they were "too close for comfort" to your precious Chevrolet.

Quick Reply: Parking morons