Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:42 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I don't often go to Home Depot, but when I do I prefer to drive my pickup truck
Old 12-27-2013, 08:46 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by thedofuss
this raises a good question to me. do you find a problem with others intentionally banging their door into you for example, or inflicting intentional scratching? is it a good idea to park away from others or as some porschers do, at an angle across 2 spaces?
It's a great idea... if you want your car keyed
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,247 Likes on 705 Posts

this raises a good question to me. do you find a problem with others intentionally banging their door into you for example, or inflicting intentional scratching? is it a good idea to park away from others or as some porschers do, at an angle across 2 spaces?
That's the best practice because everyone knows that Corvette owners (and other high end car owners) are special. Their cars are much more important and cherished than "the average persons" car....
Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettrocious
So, I drive my C7 up to Home Depot to get some supplies. I park 30 spaces away from the building, 15 spaces from the nearest car. When I come out, only one of those 15 spaces is full…
As bad as that car that parked next to you looks, you'd think they'd want to park next to another junker. Parking next to you only made their's look like the real piece of crap it is.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 AM
2vetteEd
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrous Oxide
Parking next to your GTR is the closest thing to a life this modest person will ever have. I know it's hard to put ourselves in such a simple mind. And that guy doesn't park well.
Make up a bunch of signs you can put under the moron's windshield wipers telling him whatever it is you wish to covey. We use to do this year's ago. Whether it works or not can only be left to the imagination, but at least you have the satisfaction of leaving a message without having to kick his doors in.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:39 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

I have to say that I don't think it is limited to just really nice cars.
I am pretty **** with not just my Corvette's, but most of my cars, and park my 2012 Grand Cherokee well away from the crowds in a lot, and usually find when I return that someone has parked next to me even though there isn't another vehicle within 100'.
If they don't leave a mark, it is fine - the last one who left a ding, well let's just say a nice pair of wire cutters helped to correct the over pressure situation their valve stems failed to rectify.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:05 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer

How old are you?
LOL. Actually, I should be asking you how old you are.

You obviously missed the fact that some of my "Whistle while you work" idea was sarcastic.

They say we need to reach the mental age of 8 before we understand sarcasm.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 12-27-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garret
Exactly…with no set of ***** to call people on their parking. If some A$$ parked next to me in my GT-R like that….I would be sitting on the Toyota waiting for the owner asking WTF…Of course…I have a CCW
I love it!!!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:10 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2vetteEd
Make up a bunch of signs you can put under the moron's windshield wipers telling him whatever it is you wish to covey. We use to do this year's ago. Whether it works or not can only be left to the imagination, but at least you have the satisfaction of leaving a message without having to kick his doors in.
Not a bad idea, but if you express anger in your note, the the perp will think he's "won" his sick little game, since the ONLY reason he parked that close was to anger the Corvette owner.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get out of your way to protect your car. It's okay, but don't make it look like a fortress. Unless the spaces are dedicated, don't always park at the same place like it belongs to you.

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 12-28-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:59 PM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this today. BTW that's a Kia taking up 2 spots and to my right was a jacked up Ford pulled in nose first taking 2-3 spots (pulled away before I got pic) And little ole me in my spot not encroaching on anyone. I was backed in which supposedly pisses people off
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by tentorium
Saw this today. BTW that's a Kia taking up 2 spots and to my right was a jacked up Ford pulled in nose first taking 2-3 spots (pulled away before I got pic) And little ole me in my spot not encroaching on anyone. I was backed in which supposedly pisses people off
of course backing in annoys others. try being a little bit more considerate. your actions reflect on all the brotherhood.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:01 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I always back into parking spots for 2 reasons; first, the ingrained big rig mentality of many years of backing, second and most important, because of the way people drive in parking lots, far too fast and not paying attention. I always park far out but never take more than 1 spot, no matter what vehicle I'm driving.
Old 12-29-2013, 02:08 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I always back into parking spots for 2 reasons; first, the ingrained big rig mentality of many years of backing, second and most important, because of the way people drive in parking lots, far too fast and not paying attention. I always park far out but never take more than 1 spot, no matter what vehicle I'm driving.
actually, backing in makes a lot more sense. i presume a lot more accidents take place in parking lots by people backing out when they should not do so. if they are going out face first, that would reduce accidents. keep up the good work (note that in some towns, although you would not know it, its against the law to back into a metered space. my wife found out the hard way, to the tune of $250, in our own town.)
Old 12-29-2013, 02:57 AM
RedWing1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the thread, parking morons have annoyed me for years. A whole parking lot and there's always someone next to me when I come out no matter where I park. Absolutely love waiting for you idiots to back into your spaces...never understood that maneuver. I think the whole parking thing is a general lack of respect for other people and their space. Funny thing I heard once is people are generally like they drive. The guys that walk slow in hallways where I work are the slow guys in the fast lane after work. Wonder what the parking habits say about us? I always park far away from others, live in a remote area and generally do not like crowds, maybe there is a connection...
Old 12-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

I actually think it's best park in ways that don't draw much attention. I never take up two spaces and I don't park in a way that looks really isolated. Too many haters in the world today. It's better to just blend in and act like your car is normal. If there are curbs in a parking lot I do normally try to get by one of those so at least only one person can park beside me. I don't get real crazy though.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM
rickriada
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I actually look for a spot no matter where it is in a parking lot so I will not have another vehicle being able to park next to the vette's driver's door. This is the case as if they park too close to my door, it is nearly impossible for me to get into the drivers side as I am 6'3". This happened to me once in my C6 convertible at work and I had to open the passenger door and crawl across the console to get into the car. Lesson learned for me right there. Corvette doors are really long as most 2 door coupe doors are so I need A LOT OF OPENING ROOM to get into the car. This is the case in our 2 car "narrow" garage where we have to park both of our vettes and it is always a challenge to get the cars just right inside of the garage so both my wife and I can get into our cars. WRT to backing into a spot at a store, I nearly always try to do that with our corvettes as it never fails that a taller or larger vehicle parks next to the driver's side so I then can't see what is coming down the aisle if I am backing out as the visibility out of the car's rear end area isn't that great. At least when I am driving out from being parked back *** in, I have a better chance of slowly sliding out beyond the vehicle to then look to my left for approaching traffic as the view is always better looking out of a windshield and the left side window. Happy New Year to ALL too!

Get notified of new replies

To Parking morons

Old 12-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010

actually, backing in makes a lot more sense. i presume a lot more accidents take place in parking lots by people backing out when they should not do so. if they are going out face first, that would reduce accidents. keep up the good work (note that in some towns, although you would not know it, its against the law to back into a metered space. my wife found out the hard way, to the tune of $250, in our own town.)
In Japan practically everyone backs into their parking spot. It's the rogue nut jobs who park head in... I haven't figured out their reasoning - safety or habit. It *DOES* make for a quicker get-away when it's time to go.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:20 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by RedWing1
Absolutely love waiting for you idiots to back into your spaces...never understood that maneuver. .
Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
In Japan practically everyone backs into their parking spot. It's the rogue nut jobs who park head in... I haven't figured out their reasoning - safety or habit.
For safety reasons the Japanese back into parking spots.
The truth is, if we all did this in the US, far fewer kids would get run over by people (mostly their own parents) backing out of their garages and driveways.
The visibility out of every car/suv/truck is better, often much better out the front.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:23 PM
Vettrocious
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,119 Likes on 575 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by LIStingray
For safety reasons the Japanese back into parking spots.
The truth is, if we all did this in the US, far fewer kids would get run over by people (mostly their own parents) backing out of their garages and driveways.
The visibility out of every car/suv/truck is better, often much better out the front.
But a lot more would get run over by parents backing into their driveways...

Quick Reply: Parking morons