C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix squeaky tail lights and replace the bezels. Step by step with photos.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:21 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default How to fix squeaky tail lights and replace the bezels. Step by step with photos.

Every single C7 has squeaky tail light bezels. Mine did and here is how I fixed them. I also replaced them with a painted set from RPI Designs. They are a forum sponsor.

The bezels can be removed with a plastic wedge. I wrapped it in tape and inserted it where each clip is and the bezel would pop with a little pressure.

Once I got the bezel out, you can see all the places that the bezels are rubbing. They rub on both ridges on the bottom of the tail light.

They also rub on the curve on the side and on the triangle shaped fangs on the top side.

I filed both tabs off of the bottom of the tail light lenses and I filed the flashing off of the new tail light bezels. The pic show the flashing before I filed it flush. (Side note) The original carbon flash painted bezels had the flashing cut off of them after they were painted, it looked like it was done quickly with a utility knife, probably on the assembly line.

After the flashing is all filed off, I put 3M anti squeak tape on all the problem areas. The tape is clear and looks like clear bra material, but it is designed to be an anti squeak material. Once I was done you can see it is fairly hidden and it is only on the inside edges. I trimmed all the over hanging tape with a razor blade flush with the edges. You need to have about 1/8 inch of tape on the bottom of the inner tail light bezel. It still squeaked on my first try even after I filed the tab off of the bottom of the lens. You can see the exposed tape along the bottom edge in one of the following photos. This will be only tape that is exposed when it is all assembled.

Now, just snap the bezels back in and you are done. No more squeaks and I also removed the Corvette emblem from the rear of the car and I love the new look.

Last edited by 48supertruck; 12-22-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I prefer the contrast of the carbon flash bezels. But I have to admit, that's doesn't look too bad at all.
S.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:37 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Originally Posted by Snorman
I prefer the contrast of the carbon flash bezels. But I have to admit, that's doesn't look too bad at all.
S.
I like the contrast on all the other vents and I will be replacing those and the lower back panel with a full carbon fiber unit once more aftermarket carbon fiber components come available. IMO, I thought the painted tail light bezels would make the rear a little less busy.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

S.
Agree...I also like the contrast but this is sharp.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Delta88
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 48supertruck
every single c7 has squeaky tail light bezels. Mine did and here is how i fixed them. I also replaced them with a painted set from rpi designs. They are a forum sponsor.

The bezels can be removed with a plastic wedge. I wrapped it in tape and inserted it where each clip is and the bezel would pop with a little pressure.

once i got the bezel out, you can see all the places that the bezels are rubbing. They rub on both ridges on the bottom of the tail light.

they also rub on the curve on the side and on the triangle shaped fangs on the top side.

i filed both tabs off of the bottom of the tail light lenses and i filed the flashing off of the new tail light bezels. The pic show the flashing before i filed it flush. (side note) the original carbon flash painted bezels had the flashing cut off of them after they were painted, it looked like it was done quickly with a utility knife, probably on the assembly line.

after the flashing is all filed off, i put 3m anti squeak tape on all the problem areas. The tape is clear and looks like clear bra material, but it is designed to be an anti squeak material. Once i was done you can see it is fairly hidden and it is only on the inside edges. I trimmed all the over hanging tape with a razor blade flush with the edges. You need to have about 1/8 inch of tape on the bottom of the inner tail light bezel, it still squeaked even after i filed the tab off of the bottom of the lens. You can see the exposed tape along the bottom edge in one of the following photos. This will be only tape that is exposed when it is all assembled.

[url=http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/frogylovr/media/c7%20stingray/image_zps62e10af6.jpg.html][/u

now, just snap the bezels back in and you are done. I also removed the corvette emblem from the rear of the car and i love the new look.

looks great!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

Color change looks nice on your car - mine will be Torch Red with black wheels so the red / black "theme" is appealing to me (and I DO like the black contrasts with the bright colors like yellow and Torch Red). I'd worry about filing tabs / flashing off the taillight components - hope they don't pop out on you some day. The squeak is a non-issue to me.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:41 PM
48supertruck
Pro

Originally Posted by mksz51
Color change looks nice on your car - mine will be Torch Red with black wheels so the red / black "theme" is appealing to me (and I DO like the black contrasts with the bright colors like yellow and Torch Red). I'd worry about filing tabs / flashing off the taillight components - hope they don't pop out on you some day. The squeak is a non-issue to me.
None of the parts that were filed had anything to do with how the bezels are retained on the vehicle. Wait till you get your car and just do a quick detail or dry your car after a wash, the squeaks are really annoying.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Squeaks in the taillights don't bother me...in. the. slightest.

Seriously.

Am I alone?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Rad22

Seriously.

Am I alone?
no....but i also like them painted - they were easy to do:

Last edited by Glen e; 12-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only squeak when I touch them.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
48supertruck
Pro

The squeaks are cause from two pieces rubbing together and road vibration and it is causing damage. I didn't cause this damage because i am detailing the car too much. What are these going to look like in a year or more?

Old 12-23-2013, 08:36 AM
66dreams
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 12-23-2013, 08:46 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rad22

Seriously.

Am I alone?
You are not alone. This is the funniest non-issue I have heard of. There are a handful of folks who have made it their mission in life to make this a big deal. One guy wanted the factory to fix it for them.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
You are not alone. This is the funniest non-issue I have heard of. There are a handful of folks who have made it their mission in life to make this a big deal. One guy wanted the factory to fix it for them.
+1

Jimmy
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine do squeak very slightly when I push on them, but it's completely a non-issue to me.
I do, however, like what the OP (and Glen) did.
S.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM
48supertruck
Pro

Mine do squeak very slightly when I push on them, but it's completely a non-issue to me.
I do, however, like what the OP (and Glen) did.
S.
Thanks Snorman, I posted this "how to" mainly to show people how to R&I the tail light bezels. RPI Designs did not send any instructions, so I thought this would be helpful. "IF" you wanted to fix your squeaks when the car is apart, well here's how I did it. If you don't want to fix yours, then don't. I am not trying to create an issue or rant about poor craftsmanship on the corvette or even say the squeaks really bothered me either. I love this car.

I am only trying to be helpful and I wanted to share some of the useless knowledge I have learned with others.

My next "how to" with tell how remove the door panels without breaking them and fix the horrendous vibration ratting in both doors causing by the speaker in the door. If you only listen "AM" talk radio, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Download some Warren G and then you and I can regulate with the G Child.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 48supertruck
Thanks Snorman, I posted this "how to" mainly to show people how to R&I the tail light bezels. RPI Designs did not send any instructions, so I thought this would be helpful. "IF" you wanted to fix your squeaks when the car is apart, well here's how I did it. If you don't want to fix yours, then don't. I am not trying to create an issue or rant about poor craftsmanship on the corvette or even say the squeaks really bothered me either. I love this car.

I am only trying to be helpful and I wanted to share some of the useless knowledge I have learned with others.

My next "how to" with tell how remove the door panels without breaking them and fix the horrendous vibration ratting in both doors causing by the speaker in the door. If you only listen "AM" talk radio, you have no idea what I'm talking about. Download some Warren G and then you and I can regulate with the G Child.
I think this thread is cool.

I'm going to have to put some bass-heavy music on and stand outside of my car. Honestly, I haven't noticed anything inside the car, but from what I've read, the vibration is more noticeable outside of the car.

(and I'm still floored at how low your car looks in that picture)
S.

Get notified of new replies

To How to fix squeaky tail lights and replace the bezels. Step by step with photos.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

This is what I like about this forum. We get detailed information on how to do things to our vettes. If we choose to do the mod or not, the information is available to us.

Thanks for the great post.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:36 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I really like the body color tail light bezels. Nice upgrade over stock.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

Squeaky tail lights? WTF.." What, That's Funny. There is an advantage being older and not hearing to well. Either that or the Sport mode exhaust music over powers them..

Quick Reply: How to fix squeaky tail lights and replace the bezels. Step by step with photos.