C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual trans people: normal for clutch to stick sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 01:32 AM
QuickC7
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual trans people: normal for clutch to stick sometimes?

Hello all, have a Z51 with 2600 miles on it.

About 500 miles ago, it started developing a potential issue where the clutch will 'stick' near the top of the pedal, then pop / unstick a couple of seconds after a shift to 2nd gear. Hard to explain, but it kind of feels like as if you are shifting to second there is gum on your shoe because it feels sticky.

Also, after driving it moderately... As in a few WOT bursts here and there, it seems the clutch pedal doesn't fully come up and return to its normal travel distance. If I use the top of my foot to bring it forward, it will pop back into place. It's happening more and more lately as well, and I'm even noticing more clutch chatter on 1st gear starts when the car is cold (55* outside).

Hoping this is normal, then again, hoping it isn't so I can have it fixed because it's kind of a weird thing that I'd think shouldn't happen...

Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 04:34 AM
jkcam6017
Burning Brakes

No.

Take to competent dealer.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
No.

I had that problem years ago on a British Ford. In my Ford's case it was a metal shaving in the slave cylinder, and the sticking got worse and worse. Easy fix to replace the cylinder but not something you'd want to let go since it could leave you not moving in a difficult situation. (I know this because my then-wife was told not to drive the car while the new part was on order and did so anyway, leaving it stuck in the middle of a huge, icy puddle until I crawled underneath with a small hammer and tapped the slave cylinder to free it. To repeat: ex-wife, though this wasn't the only problem.)
Old 12-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Rubber Ducky
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Broke. Fix.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I am only at 475 miles and no hard driving yet. I plan on turning it loose some today when the streets dry up.
We fought this problem some in the C5 and C5ZO6 especially on the road course. Sometimes the clutch fluid would get overheated if you were really running the car hard, check your clutch fluid level and color i wouldn't think it would be dis colored yet. In the C5 and C6 we changed the clutch fluid frequently to help with this problem. I have not studied the clutch setup (clutch master cylinder location, routing of the line from m/c to slave etc.) if heat could be overheating the fluid. Of course like others just said you got warranty you might want to take it in. I don't want to recommend this yet, but if I experience this problem the first thing I will do is change the clutch fluid to higher temp fluid. Good luck and I am subscribing here to see how it goes for you.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:18 AM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I don't have this issue.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 AM
sandu002
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are still within warranty. No reason NOT to take it to a dealer.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,653 Likes on 6,650 Posts

Originally Posted by jkcam6017
No.

My clutch is fine. Already checked with the large Chevy, BMW, Mercedes dealer in town (who had no allocation of C7's) and they currently don't have a Vette mechanic (they had a good one.) If it were mine, I'd drive the 120 miles (up I95 so would have limited clutch usage) to my very large purchase dealer. Thier sevice manager has been vary helpful on the few questions I had.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:54 AM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't have that problem with mine.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:56 PM
red guy
Advanced

Nooooo not in C7, this problem was a nightmare for me in my 1999 Z28.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:04 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

This is routine for us C6 owners, might give it a try......

Old 12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
QuickC7
Advanced

Ok here is an update as to what I have done.

This morning I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a Mix-Mister syringe and a couple of bottles of Prestone Synthetic DOT4 brake fluid. I decided to try the "ranger method" of flushing and replacing the clutch fluid.

Keep in mind I have 2600 miles of city-only driving. Maybe 200 of those miles are highway. I don't baby the car at all. After a couple mods, the dyno shows I'm putting out 449 HP / 451lb-tq so it's not stock power output either.

Anyway, I sucked out the clutch fluid and it was pretty brown already. I continued to exchange the clutch fluid until it was clear.

I took it on a nice drive (where I saw 1 C5 and 2 C6's, non responded to the wave and didn't even look at the car.. I'm over the corvette wave thing as no other vettes have ever acknowledged the car in 2+ months, whole other story) and gave the car plenty of time to warm up. Some normal driving and it seemed to improve the problem and the clutch felt brand new.

It was only towards the end of my 40 city mile cruise and getting on it a bit on some back roads did it barely stick shifting from 2nd gear. The oil temp was 225* so the car was definitely a bit warm from getting on it a little.

The flush was a huge improvement, but I won't tell until I do more driving.

I'm just a bit surprised the fluid was brown after only 2600 miles. I hope this isn't the norm.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:06 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickC7

This morning I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a Mix-Mister syringe and a couple of bottles of Prestone Synthetic DOT4 brake fluid. I decided to try the "ranger method" of flushing and replacing the clutch fluid.

Keep in mind I have 2600 miles of city-only driving. Maybe 200 of those miles are highway. I don't baby the car at all. After a couple mods, the dyno shows I'm putting out 449 HP / 451lb-tq so it's not stock power output either.

Anyway, I sucked out the clutch fluid and it was pretty brown already. I continued to exchange the clutch fluid until it was clear.

I took it on a nice drive (where I saw 1 C5 and 2 C6's, non responded to the wave and didn't even look at the car.. I'm over the corvette wave thing as no other vettes have ever acknowledged the car in 2+ months, whole other story) and gave the car plenty of time to warm up. Some normal driving and it seemed to improve the problem and the clutch felt brand new.

It was only towards the end of my 40 city mile cruise and getting on it a bit on some back roads did it barely stick shifting from 2nd gear. The oil temp was 225* so the car was definitely a bit warm from getting on it a little.

I'm just a bit surprised the fluid was brown after only 2600 miles. I hope this isn't the norm.
If it was only brown, they have made improvements with the C7. Mine was black as tar at 1000 miles on my C6.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Many of us do not recognize a C7 until it is past us if at all. Remember they are way different then a C5 or C6. In addition to that those of us that do recognize a C7 we are too busy looking at the car and forget about the wave. Give it some time and you will get the wave.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:57 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THis was a problem on c5 and c6. You mean they didn't put a remote bleeder from the factory? This is a known corvette problem.......
Old 12-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Razz1
Heel & Toe

Would an after market clutch improve this condition?
Old 12-22-2013, 05:40 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

nope aftermarket clutch wont help, sounds like the c7 has same crappy hydraulic system as c6 and c5. i would love to see pics of the slave cylinder used in c7 to see how close to c6 it is

Get notified of new replies

To Manual trans people: normal for clutch to stick sometimes?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Hello all, have a Z51 with 2600 miles on it.

About 500 miles ago, it started developing a potential issue where the clutch will 'stick' near the top of the pedal, then pop / unstick a couple of seconds after a shift to 2nd gear. Hard to explain, but it kind of feels like as if you are shifting to second there is gum on your shoe because it feels sticky.

Also, after driving it moderately... As in a few WOT bursts here and there, it seems the clutch pedal doesn't fully come up and return to its normal travel distance. If I use the top of my foot to bring it forward, it will pop back into place. It's happening more and more lately as well, and I'm even noticing more clutch chatter on 1st gear starts when the car is cold (55* outside).

Hoping this is normal, then again, hoping it isn't so I can have it fixed because it's kind of a weird thing that I'd think shouldn't happen...

Thanks
Not good hearing of this OLD issue possibly returning? My C-6's
had no issue!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:03 PM
v26278
Melting Slicks

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts

OP, unless you've accumulated all those miles 1/4 mile at a time, that is not normal. For sure the hydraulic system needs to have the fluid bled as part of regular maintenance, but under normal street use your clutch should not be sticking after only that many miles. With heavy track use, then you likely will have issues fairly quickly if you don't purge the fluid.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:56 PM
QuickC7
Advanced

Just an update, fluid is nice and fresh and the pedal still sticks when shifting from 2nd gear, and sometimes 1st. Guess it's going in the shop again...

Quick Reply: Manual trans people: normal for clutch to stick sometimes?