Plasti-dip of my Non-Z51 rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Plasti-dip of my Non-Z51 rims

Hi all,
Just wanted to share some pics of my rims after plasti-dip. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep the base rims or to get aftermarket. Further, the wife wants black rims, whether they be base or aftermarket; I wanted chrome rims (yeah yeah, I've always liked chrome rims, ok?).
So to answer these questions, we decided to spend a minimal amount (less than $80) to plasti dip them to see whether black is "acceptable" to me; and whether we wanted aftermarket or to keep these rims.
Well, after finishing this project, I have to say, the "black rims" are growing on me, and I've decided to keep these base rims for now until we find something that we REALLY like. I can't believe how incredible these rims look in black, imho, of course.
The finish with plastidip is so nice, that we are going to keep them like this to see how long they last. When and/or if they start tearing up, we will then decide to either powdercoat them or to get aftermarket. At least we have decided the color issue. Oh yes, and we painted the calipers red ourselves with G2. Still looking for some C7 'corvette" stencil.
Attached Images       
Old 12-20-2013, 04:25 PM
lucative
Instructor

Received 162 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Mr. DIY,
Really a nice job on those rims! Looks spectacular. So little money for such a great effect. Really worth the effort so many times over. I am thinking of doing my rims in white. I don't know why so many haters of the base coupe rims but they do look nice to me. Especially in a black or white for an Arctic White coupe. Thanks for the pictures. How long did it take for you to do? How many coats did you do? Again, nice job! Brakes look good too@
Old 12-20-2013, 04:29 PM
cattman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you I'd get Brembo logos, then clear over them. The brakes are made by Brembo, and logos are readily available on ebay.
CATTMAN
Old 12-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Nice job
Old 12-20-2013, 04:52 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

Originally Posted by lucative
Hi Mr. DIY,
Really a nice job on those rims! Looks spectacular. So little money for such a great effect. Really worth the effort so many times over. I am thinking of doing my rims in white. I don't know why so many haters of the base coupe rims but they do look nice to me. Especially in a black or white for an Arctic White coupe. Thanks for the pictures. How long did it take for you to do? How many coats did you do? Again, nice job! Brakes look good too@
Thanks, all. I put on about 6 coats and 3 coats of Plasti dip glossifier. Remember to do the center cap as well. In one of my post I described in details how to do it. Since I was one of the first to do this, I did not do that, and had to take the caps out and do them separately as you can see in one of the pics. If you don't do the center cap, it will look weird because it's grayish and the rims will be black. The whole project too about 2.5 hours for the plasti dip, and then the next day, about 1 hour for the 3 coats of plastidip. So it was not that long.
The red calipers took 1.5 hours total. I used G2 for it, and I will look into the Brembo stickers. Thanks Cattman.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

nice job....lotta thought went into getting it right, my kind of mod...congrats...
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Glen e
nice job....lotta thought went into getting it right, my kind of mod...congrats...
Thanks, Glen.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

They look great, and about how many cans for the 4 wheels?
Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 PM
Razz1
Heel & Toe

Even with 6 coats, won't they scratch and chip easily?

There is allot of road debris that hits wheels.

Good Luck and keep us updated.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:27 PM
PARANORMAL
SUPPORT AUTISM
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '14

That actually looks pretty good. Nice job
Old 12-20-2013, 05:30 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent_esq
Hi all,
I wanted chrome rims (yeah yeah, I've always liked chrome rims, ok?).

Well, after finishing this project, I have to say, the "black rims" are growing on me, . I can't believe how incredible these rims look in black, imho, of course.
Awesome job, they turned out beautiful! Now we also know you HAD horrible taste in wanting chrome rims.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Razz1
Even with 6 coats, won't they scratch and chip easily?

There is allot of road debris that hits wheels.

Good Luck and keep us updated.
vids on repairing PD wheels and other stuff at dipyourcar.com - the home of PD.....
Old 12-20-2013, 05:36 PM
Razz1
Heel & Toe

Thanks!

I love learning new things.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

It took about 4 cans, but I would just buy 5 or 6 cans from Home Depot or Lowes. The problem is the spray nozzle itself clogging up. dipyourcar.com has their own nozzle for $1.85 and I did not buy it. Supposedly it is to prevent the clogging. If you drip while spraying, don't wipe off with a cloth, it will wipe off ALL of the previous coats. Just wipe off gently with your finger and spray again. I had problems with the glossifier. I videotaped my work, and both my wife and I could see "dust particles" magically appear on the rim while spraying. It seems like the particles came out from the can while spraying. That's why we stopped. In theory, the more coats you have on, the more glossy it is. I will keep you all posted on how long it lasts. It is supposed to last 2-3 years (which is just about time for new tires and/or rims.) So far, I have driven about 250 miles in mixed driving with the plasti-dipped wheels, and so far not a problem at all. You just have to be careful not to drip gasoline on it while putting gas in because gasoline will dissolve it.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:02 PM
WackyBob
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 115 Posts

Very nice! Great job!!!

I'm in the 1LT White/Red with black wheels and red calipers club too. Fridge is in the back. Grab a beer & make yourself at home. Friday is salisbury steak night.

Maybe consider red fender hashes as I have added. A DIY guy like yourself can do another cool, quick, cost effective and non permanent mod.

Love the Brembo logo idea as well cattman.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:22 PM
Zevo
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks great. I don't care for the base wheels, but when painted black, I think they look good. In my opinion, it really transforms the car
Old 12-22-2013, 12:03 AM
vincent_esq
Racer

Originally Posted by Zevo
Looks great. I don't care for the base wheels, but when painted black, I think they look good. In my opinion, it really transforms the car

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-dip of my Non-Z51 rims

Old 12-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I Plasti-Dipped the chrome wheels on my GS several months ago. It looked pretty good - I used the Gun Metal color Plasti-Dip. I didn't do the glossifier. After about 10 days the brake dust (brown) was starting to show on the wheels and it would not come off... Maybe the glossifier would have helped with that problem. I was on a trip to Florida or would have pulled the Plasti-Dip off but didn't know how hard the job would be and didn't want to have screwed up looking wheels. I also damaged the coating on one wheel by getting too close with a car wash wand - I had taken an extra can of Plasti-Dip and just sprayed a little on that evening at the hotel and was good to go the next day. Nobody would have noticed if I hadn't pointed it out. I pulled it off the wheels once I was back home - maybe 3-4 minutes per wheel.

My car appears to be sitting up pretty high in this pic - I had just put the wheels back on and let it down from the jacks...
Old 12-22-2013, 12:54 AM
jaimeleger
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dip probs

Originally Posted by vincent_esq
Hi all,
Just wanted to share some pics of my rims after plasti-dip. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to keep the base rims or to get aftermarket. Further, the wife wants black rims, whether they be base or aftermarket; I wanted chrome rims (yeah yeah, I've always liked chrome rims, ok?).
So to answer these questions, we decided to spend a minimal amount (less than $80) to plasti dip them to see whether black is "acceptable" to me; and whether we wanted aftermarket or to keep these rims.
Well, after finishing this project, I have to say, the "black rims" are growing on me, and I've decided to keep these base rims for now until we find something that we REALLY like. I can't believe how incredible these rims look in black, imho, of course.
The finish with plastidip is so nice, that we are going to keep them like this to see how long they last. When and/or if they start tearing up, we will then decide to either powdercoat them or to get aftermarket. At least we have decided the color issue. Oh yes, and we painted the calipers red ourselves with G2. Still looking for some C7 'corvette" stencil.
My son did this to my wives Audi - Looked good for a week then peeled, and was a nightmare. Why spend $60K plus on car and $100.00 on rims? Bite the bullet and get black wheels.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2013, 12:56 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Tech Contributor

It's fun to do wheels but most peel it off long term that I've seen. The pd just gets dinged and gathers dirt .Powder coat or DuPont Imron are permanent solutions.

Quick Reply: Plasti-dip of my Non-Z51 rims