Sponsored by:

New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - My Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Arctic7
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - My Experience

I don't want this to be a debate but I wanted to share my experience quickly with the group on my 2 cents regarding the stock tires in cold weather. This is only what I experienced and others might not.

I received my manual non-Z51 3 weeks ago, where I live in Northern VA, just outside DC. I read a lot on this forum regarding the stock summer tires and with the absence of snow we typically have up here on the roads, I thought I would tough it out and save big not buying extra tires for the winter.

It's been very cold during the days reaching the upper 30's mostly for the last 2 weeks. So the roads are definitely cold. I have experienced breaking loose on acceleration, but expected it with all the ponies this beast has. But last Friday in a parking lot going at a top speed of maybe 12 mph not under minor acceleration, as I turned a corner the back end slide around like it was on ice. Of course I though maybe I was on ice, but that was not the case. I then proceeded to hit 20 and hit the breaks to get a feel of the tires and the anti lock breaks immediately came on and I slid to a stop.

That was the breaking point for me to purchase new tires for $1200 installed, since hitting anything with any speed would do much more damage than $1200 dollars. (no brainer)

So I can assure you, at that moment if I had to perform any evasive maneuver to avoid a deer, person or another car at higher speeds, there is no doubt I would have had a serious issue.

Two days later I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 mounted on the car. Since then I've been driving around more aggressively trying to get a feel of the new tires and they provide much more traction !!!! I even drove out of my neighborhood today on 1 inch of snow and was VERY pleased on the traction under acceleration and more importantly stopping. I have no regrets and in my eyes money well spent !!!

Take it for what it's worth, but I would HIGHLY suggest anything in the cold besides the stock tires.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Midas001
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arctic7
I don't want this to be a debate but I wanted to share my experience quickly with the group on my 2 cents regarding the stock tires in cold weather. This is only what I experienced and others might not.

I received my manual non-Z51 3 weeks ago, where I live in Northern VA, just outside DC. I read a lot on this forum regarding the stock summer tires and with the absence of snow we typically have up here on the roads, I thought I would tough it out and save big not buying extra tires for the winter.

It's been very cold during the days reaching the upper 30's mostly for the last 2 weeks. So the roads are definitely cold. I have experienced breaking loose on acceleration, but expected it with all the ponies this beast has. But last Friday in a parking lot going at a top speed of maybe 12 mph not under minor acceleration, as I turned a corner the back end slide around like it was on ice. Of course I though maybe I was on ice, but that was not the case. I then proceeded to hit 20 and hit the breaks to get a feel of the tires and the anti lock breaks immediately came on and I slid to a stop.

That was the breaking point for me to purchase new tires for $1200 installed, since hitting anything with any speed would do much more damage than $1200 dollars. (no brainer)

So I can assure you, at that moment if I had to perform any evasive maneuver to avoid a deer, person or another car at higher speeds, there is no doubt I would have had a serious issue.

Two days later I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 mounted on the car. Since then I've been driving around more aggressively trying to get a feel of the new tires and they provide much more traction !!!! I even drove out of my neighborhood today on 1 inch of snow and was VERY pleased on the traction under acceleration and more importantly stopping. I have no regrets and in my eyes money well spent !!!

Take it for what it's worth, but I would HIGHLY suggest anything in the cold besides the stock tires.
I totally agree. I live in Upstate SC and mornings are in the 30's. I put the same tires on my C7 and the difference is incredible
Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 PM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

I've had some slippin' and slidin' moments over here in the Seattle WA area as well. I just got off the phone with a local tire installer and told them my new set of A/S 3s from www.tirerack.com is on its way to their shop. They will be calling me when the tires arrive for installation.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:04 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

OP I'm not surprised by your experience. The Michelins on my ZR1 are purely dangerous in anything under about 50 and I simply just part the car when it was that cold rather than risk. That's not a complaint, simply an observation, and if I had to DD the car I'd definitely put different rubber on it.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:19 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
OP I'm not surprised by your experience. The Michelins on my ZR1 are purely dangerous in anything under about 50 and I simply just part the car when it was that cold rather than risk. That's not a complaint, simply an observation, and if I had to DD the car I'd definitely put different rubber on it.

Any high-performance summer tire is going to be dicey as temps drop below 50F. I put the Michelin A/S tires on in late Oct. and keep them on until April or early May, greatly improving my safety factor. I have a few friends that go to winter tires for the same reason.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Periokid
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Tire and wheel options for cold weather

I have a Z51 and the car is simply not safe to drive in cold weather, even in dry conditions.

I expected reduced traction in the cold but it is FAR worse than I ever imagined it would be. I have had many sports cars and none of them were as bad as the C7 in the cold.

So I want some more cold friendly tires and many have suggested Michelin A/S 3.

My biggest problem is not wanting to dismount the current tires on the pristine Z51 wheels.

Should I find some aftermarket wheels or how do I source Z51 silver wheels as a cost that won't bury me. What about the non Z51 wheels?

Having another set makes it nice and easy to switch but is certainly more costly.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 PM
Rad22
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

2 questions:

1. I assume the Pilot Sport A/S 3's are run flats?

2. Is there any different in the road noise or ride from the stock skins?

I'm actually glad to see this thread. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my traction control. If I "get on it" in first or second gear from a slow roll in the cold, the rear end hops all over the place like it's on ice. The other night, at about 40°,"getting on it" in a right turn on an abandoned road (testing the system) resulted in the rear end partially breaking loose and hopping out, even with traction control in touring mode.

Last edited by Rad22; 12-18-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Plexoer
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 144 Posts

Considering the tires are cheaper, and last longer it seems like a win. I wonder how much the 0 - 60 time is compromised compared to the stock tires.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

There's a reason they are called "summer tires". Thanks for sharing your first hand experience and possibly saving someone's C7 and more importantly, a life!
Old 12-18-2013, 11:35 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Rad22
2 questions:

1. I assume the Pilot Sport A/S 3's are run flats?

2. Is there any different in the road noise or ride from the stock skins?

I'm actually glad to see this thread. I was beginning to think there was something wrong with my traction control. If I "get on it" in first or second gear from a slow roll in the cold, the rear end hops all over the place like it's on ice. The other night, at about 40°,"getting on it" in a right turn on an abandoned road (testing the system) resulted in the rear end partially breaking loose and hopping out, even with traction control in touring mode.
A/S 3 tires are not RFs yet, although you can bet your bippy Michelin will come out with a RF version is they do away with their superb Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP tire as folks have reported. They sure won't give up that market.

Road noise and ride - no opinion as I stay with RF tires.

Summer tires in cold temps and "getting on it", especially in a turn, don't mix! A light right foot really is your friend.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:52 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Lol, "30's is cold."

It's been below 10 degrees in the mornings here driving to work here in Utah. Driving east into the Uintah's two weeks ago, it hit -19 at 8:30 pm. That's not typical, but it can get that cold here.

I have fat NT05 's on my Mustang and they are helpless in weather under 30 degrees.

I switched over to my blizzaks (dedicated snow/ice tire) and it's a huge difference.

I really hope that Blzzaks or the Michelin snow/ice line of tires becomes available in C7 sizes. I don't need an A/S tire. I need extreme summer performance and snow/ice tires.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:04 AM
FrancisDGarcia
Racer

I just ordered the Michelin A/S 3 tires and would appreciate suggestions on wheels for my Z51.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:35 AM
B Stead
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Periokid

So I want some more cold friendly tires and many have suggested Michelin A/S 3.

My biggest problem is not wanting to dismount the current tires on the pristine Z51 wheels.

Should I find some aftermarket wheels or how do I source Z51 silver wheels as a cost that won't bury me. What about the non Z51 wheels?

Having another set makes it nice and easy to switch but is certainly more costly.

The TSW wheels tend to look like something someone made in their basement but the following TSW wheel offsets do work okay with the stock tire sizes:

19 x 9, 50mm, front

20 x 10.5, 65mm, rear

About $300 each.

But I suspect that those wheel offsets are more outward than stock so let's just add 5mm to them and look for 55mm front and 70mm rear.

Oz Ultraleggera at about $500 each:

19 x 8.5, 59mm, front

20 x 11, 75mm, rear

Listed at TR under the C6.

Oz Superleggera at about $900 each:

19 x 8.5, 59mm, front
19 x 9.5, 59mm, front

19 x 10, 78mm, rear
19 x 11, 75mm, rear

20 x 10.5, 75mm, rear
20 x 11, 75mm, rear

Listed at TR under the C6.

Oz Superleggera at about $900 each:

19 x 8.5, 51mm, front

19 x 10.5, 76mm, rear
20 x 10.5, 76mm, rear

Listed at TR under the C7 Z51

Of course, put a 5mm spacer with a 59mm wheel offset and that makes 54mm. Or put a 5mm spacer with a 78mm wheel offset and that makes 73mm offset.

Basically, I would find the stock front wheel offset and subtract 5mm from it. Then I would find the stock rear wheel offset and subtract 5mm from that. Those would be the wheel offset numbers that I would want for stock wheel width and up to 1" wider than stock wheel width. (Because wheel offsets change the roll centers and scrub radius.)

Then in all-season tires, near stock sizes is all that I see:

245/35-19, front
255/35-19, front

285/35-19, rear
285/30-20, rear

Last edited by B Stead; 12-19-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 AM
10-7 OD
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I run the same Michelin A/S tires on my modded Audi S4. Great wear and good wet weather performance. Surprisingly good dry grip too...but Quattro rules anyway.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for your report on the stock tires. GM should offer a choice in tires for the C7 for those that need all season performance.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:23 AM
C8Jake
Race Director

Received 5,415 Likes on 2,535 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
A/S 3 tires are not RFs yet, although you can bet Michelin will come out with a RF version
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Stingray
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Jontall
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM should have had Michelin develop an all-season run flat tire from the beginning. High performance summer only tires are on C7 Corvettes being delivered to customers in freezing weather and could lead to product liability lawsuits against GM.

Get notified of new replies

To New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - My Experience

Old 12-19-2013, 05:49 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

I have a z51 with magnetic ride...in the cold mornings I drive in "W" mode and switch to "S" when the tire monitors indicate they are "warm". I never had a problem and it is in the thirties every morning on the way to work! I had the AS Zp on my c 6 and got 50 k miles on both sets...great tires... I would wait for the run flats to come out to protect the rims before I switch...
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 AM
pgway
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jontall
GM should have had Michelin develop an all-season run flat tire from the beginning. High performance summer only tires are on C7 Corvettes being delivered to customers in freezing weather and could lead to product liability lawsuits against GM.
Not LIKELY!
The Corvette owners manual and Michelin warn against driving below 40 degrees F.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Balthazar_B
Instructor

Now just need those in Z51 sizes...

Quick Reply: New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - My Experience