C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Owners Do you have curbs on your street?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Ely
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C7 Owners Do you have curbs on your street?

This may sound silly but ... I live in a sub. that has the rounded curbs. They are not the square ones that disappear at the end of the driveway. They are the rounded ones that are the same in front of the drive as they are in front of the house. I need to be very careful when I drive my C3 up the driveway as it has a mod. front spoiler and can drag going up and / down.
Is the new C7 Z51 spoiler so low that it will hit when going up a driveway with the rounded curbs???
Will I need to mod. the driveway approach at the street to get my C7 in the garage?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:42 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

My curbs are as you describe, plus my driveway is quite steep. My Z51 C7 actually scrapes less in the front than my 09 C6, partly because of the missing center air dam piece. You might have to go slow, but even if it does scrape, it's just the plastic air dams. Now, if your driveway is steep like mine is, you may have to be careful not to scrape the bottom of the fangs in front. Mine are quite scraped up on the bottom because of a couple of incidents in the driveway (getting used to the hill-assist braking) and because of a couple of deep troughs at intersections here. Fortunately this is not visible at all unless you look underneath at them.

I did have to have the top of my driveway modified where it transitions to the garage. I had the crown removed and re-poured to be flat because the bottom of the car was scraping. I never knew how expensive concrete work is until this.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

IMO the nose of the C7 is plenty high and the two deflectors on the side are flexible rubber or plastic. There is no center section deflector on the Z51.
Since getting my car, it has settled a little and where the front deflectors didn't rub at my driveway apron initially, they do a little bit now. I wouldn't be overly concerned about those scraping a little.
S.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:52 PM
Ely
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.
Like CM states concrete work can be a bit expensive.
Looks like it will not be needed.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Cruiter
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
On order: Torch Red Z51
Default Usually not an issue

If I back in at an angle and pull straight out it doesn't scrape. But if I pull in straight or back out it does scrape. And I've heard it scrape at several places with a severe angle but so far it's not harmed them as they're flexible rubber. Thinking GM figured that one out OK . And I've not lowered the car any, but it's settled some.

Z51 PKG w/Mag ride control.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Bigdog9586
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not as low as my Volt spoiler. Volt drags leaving work everyday for past 18 months and Vette don't. I think if the Vette front spoiler is anyway near as tough as what they put on Volt we won't have a problem.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:05 PM
millpond
Melting Slicks

Received 379 Likes on 197 Posts

Bridjit makes a product for curbs like this.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Edward Weaver
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely
This may sound silly but ... I live in a sub. that has the rounded curbs. They are not the square ones that disappear at the end of the driveway. They are the rounded ones that are the same in front of the drive as they are in front of the house. I need to be very careful when I drive my C3 up the driveway as it has a mod. front spoiler and can drag going up and / down.
Is the new C7 Z51 spoiler so low that it will hit when going up a driveway with the rounded curbs???
Will I need to mod. the driveway approach at the street to get my C7 in the garage?
I also have the same type of curbing/driveway. What I have learned is that if I approach the driveway from an angle the tire starts to go up the curbing before much scrapping can occur. Likewise I have learned if I turn the car around and come out of the driveway front first I don't get any scrapping also. If I back it out I also get some scrapping. I realize that many of you may not have the space to turn your car around and come out front first. If that is the case try making an angle cut on the backup just like when you go in.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Well THAT seems to have curbed the problem....
Old 12-14-2013, 07:59 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

My 13 GS was challenge. I never had an issue with the C7 and only occasionally since I lowered it. I back in at the widest angle I can, I have a double drive way.

Frankly I'd rather cut into the yard a little, grass will grow back then hear the scrape even if it is a flexible spoiler.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by millpond
Bridjit makes a product for curbs like this.

I have the "normal" (at least here) kind that are square and sloped and was looking for a way to reduce the grade. My C6 Grand Sport always scraped the driveway, no matter the angle.

I came across the Bridjit unit in my unfruitful search for my application. It looks pretty good for the rounded curb situation.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:05 PM
CaptRat
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely
The curb in front of my house is the same as yours. I put up with it for years enduring the sometimes thrilling maneuver to get out of my driveway riding two up on my Harley with a car parked in the street across from me. When we got our '82, it would drag both on exit and entry.

I smoothed out the curb at my driveway exit with some concrete mixed from bags from Home Depot. After cleaning the area I put down some concrete bonding agent, a PVC pipe to maintain runoff flow and then just poured and smoothed the home mixed concrete over the PVC.

That was about 13 years ago and was in good enough shape that when I had a new driveway poured last year we left the curb as is. Now no problems with the Harley, the C3, the now gone C4 or the C7.

Many homes in our neighborhood have used asphalt to do the same job, but that doesn't seem to hold up as well as the concrete fix.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Owners Do you have curbs on your street?

Quick Reply: C7 Owners Do you have curbs on your street?