Sponsored by:

Z51 package or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:21 PM
jmcrep
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Z51 package or not

I have been a corvette owner for the past 16 years. I have just ordered a C7-3lt and feel i should have gotten the Z51 package. My concerns seem to be of the reliability nature. I keep my cars from body style to body style which is approx. 8+ years. Am i going to have added repair bills as time goes on? are those z51 features prone to need extra care? please advise
Old 12-11-2013, 04:32 PM
jmcrep
5th Gear

Default Z51 package or not

I just ordered a C7-3LT
i was considering the Z51 package
I don't drive the car hard and i think that MORE in this case might just get me bigger repair bills as time goes on. i keep my cars an average of 8+ years, well out of the warrantee period. Is the package worth getting?
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

I have struggled with this as well, same reasoning. I do not anticipate tracking the car, oil changes are more expensive, E-Diff is already a concern on the Z51. More tech usually means more repairs. Mag ride is the only thing I really want from the Z-51 pkg. Hoping that next year it will be a non-Z51 option, I am definitely waiting for the new tranny but that also falls under the "more tech" category. So cornfused, and then I have to choose a color. LRG, Laguna Blue, or AW. Argggghhhhh.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just passed on a 1LT Z51 because I didn't like the color. I still can't believe the car is still sitting there after 5 weeks. I'll probably go with a non Z51 since there are a lot more out there.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

I think the answer is that if you want to autocross or road race, the Z51 is the choice. If you just want to drive, the base suspension will probably suit you better. All the reviews I’ve read (and I’ve read many) say the Z51 has a noticeably stiffer ride.

Plus, more complexity, more plumbing for the dry sump and 10.3 qts at the oil change vs 7 qts. Your call, mine on order is the base suspension and 2LT.

I’d have liked to have the higher numerical Z51 gearing but the added weight of the Z51 partially offsets the gearing advantage. Like the bigger front discs too but still, I’m very happy with my choice. Don
Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by W88fixer
I think the answer is that if you want to autocross or road race, the Z51 is the choice. If you just want to drive, the base suspension will probably suit you better. All the reviews I’ve read (and I’ve read many) say the Z51 has a noticeably stiffer ride.

Plus, more complexity, more plumbing for the dry sump and 10.3 qts at the oil change vs 7 qts. Your call, mine on order is the base suspension and 2LT.

I’d have liked to have the higher numerical Z51 gearing but the added weight of the Z51 partially offsets the gearing advantage. Like the bigger front discs too but still, I’m very happy with my choice. Don
I am leaning the same way, 2LT non Z51. To keep the price in my budget it is either 1 LT Z51 or 2LT Non. I believe I will enjoy/use the added accoutrements of the 2LT more.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

My first C6 was a non Z51 (as this thread has categorized it). I then drove a friend's Z51 equipped model and fell in love with it. When I got my 2008 C6 I made sure I got the Z51 option. Not for tracking but for satisfaction in driving it. I never use the top end but the performance out of the hole and handling on twisty roads is far superior. I have never been able to tell the difference between the Z51 and non Z51 ride. I have never spent a dime more for the options (repair) except the tires. This is the last thing many Z51 owners appear to take into account. The tread wear rating of the Z51 is such that they go through tires twice as fast and for more money. If the driving experience is not worth it then you should not get the Z51 option. In 2011 I got my GS which of course is the continuation of the Z51 but with the wide body among other things. I love the car but do pine for the 36,000 miles per year I used to get on the "base" Corvette rubber. Never-the-less I will absolutely go for the Z51 when I order my C7 with manual transmission. I get my Corvette for the feeling of performance. I do however understand that for some people there are other considerations. I'm glad we have choices. Make yours wisely.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
I am leaning the same way, 2LT non Z51. To keep the price in my budget it is either 1 LT Z51 or 2LT Non. I believe I will enjoy/use the added accoutrements of the 2LT more.
At first I questioned the added cost of the 2LT but my wife loves heated seats and I like the HUD, upgraded stereo, adjustable seat bolsters (although the 2LT I just sat in was perfect for me as the adjustments were from the factory) fancier interior and enhanced security features. There are more but the longer I go the more I think the move to the 2LT was worth it. Good luck on your decision. Don
Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I think the 2LT is the way to go, power adjustible heated/cooled seats, HUD, slightly higher gearing, emblems, leather accents, etc. Z51 tires and brake pads are reported to wear faster than the standard suspension.

Last edited by Larry/car; 12-11-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

I have the Z-51 just for the looks and not the track abilities. I will not track. However I hope we always have a choice. I can't believe how great the mag ride and Z-51 operate together to give a very smooth ride and race ready when called upon!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I think the 2LT is the way to go, power adjustible heated/cooled seats, HUD, slightly higher gearing, emblems, leather accents. I did, it is on order. Would of gotten magnetic ride if available on base suspension.
All good reasons. Especially if you want the "higher gearing".
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Stingray Al
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerdj
I have the Z-51 just for the looks and not the track abilities. I will not track. However I hope we always have a choice. I can't believe how great the mag ride and Z-51 operate together to give a very smooth ride and race ready when called upon!
My thoughts exactly !!!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
jmcrep
5th Gear

Default re: z51 vs non- z51

i can get the 2LT with
the z51 package plus navigation and the dial a ride suspension and just be $500. more than the 3LT.
I have to admit that the looks of the Z51 is a large part of my problem.
The 3LT I ordered has the Z51 spoiler, yellow calipers but not those rims . I love those rims. I also like the larger wheels and many of the other fun stuff. Everyone should have these kind of problems.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:10 PM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcrep
I have been a corvette owner for the past 16 years. I have just ordered a C7-3lt and feel i should have gotten the Z51 package. My concerns seem to be of the reliability nature. I keep my cars from body style to body style which is approx. 8+ years. Am i going to have added repair bills as time goes on? are those z51 features prone to need extra care? please advise
Don't worry about reliability, even if you get the mag ride along with the Z51( very wise choice IMHO). You'll likely never have to replace the mag shocks and reliability will be no better or worse than the non-Z51 components. Since you ordered the 3LT, looks like you are not a charter member of the el cheapo crowd, so you should be good to go with a Z51 order. Enjoy.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 PM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z51 or not is a huge dilemma for me as well. Like you (and probably 90% of vette buyers), I have no intention of tracking the car so things like the dry sump oil system and e-diff are just liabilities as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, I think the base c7 wheels are just absolutely horrible, they look just like something you'd see on a cheap Civic. In contrast, I absolutely love the Z51 wheels, particularly in chrome. So the problem for me is that buying a base C7 and replacing all the wheels and tires to Z51 would probably cost more than just buying the Z51 package....but I really don't want the other stuff!

Man, why can't they just offer the Z51 wheels on the 2LT package, or at least have wheel options that aren't so plain . It wouldn't be so bad if replacing the tires/wheels was cheap, but alas not cheap at all!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 PM
VIK TOY
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Husband had ordered a base model from dealer in Idaho. But the dealer said there was a 751 in line and buyer backed out, so husband said OK I will take it instead of the base one. Hey only few thousand more and you get a lot for it!!
Old 12-11-2013, 06:23 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thebeastifier
Z51 or not is a huge dilemma for me as well. Like you (and probably 90% of vette buyers), I have no intention of tracking the car so things like the dry sump oil system and e-diff are just liabilities as far as I'm concerned.

With that said, I think the base c7 wheels are just absolutely horrible, they look just like something you'd see on a cheap Civic. In contrast, I absolutely love the Z51 wheels, particularly in chrome. So the problem for me is that buying a base C7 and replacing all the wheels and tires to Z51 would probably cost more than just buying the Z51 package....but I really don't want the other stuff!

Man, why can't they just offer the Z51 wheels on the 2LT package, or at least have wheel options that aren't so plain . It wouldn't be so bad if replacing the tires/wheels was cheap, but alas not cheap at all!
Simple, just forego the Z51 and have your dealer put whatever aftermarket wheels you want.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 package or not

Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 PM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdurg24
Simple, just forego the Z51 and have your dealer put whatever aftermarket wheels you want.
Of course, but like I said the cost of that comes out higher than just buying the Z51 . Getting 4 sets of decent wheels + tires + install will run more than 2.8k. And on top of that, not sure if putting 19/20s on the base will have any impact on the traction control, never swapped wheels for different sizes before.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:34 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You watch, resale the Z51 option will add $2800 alone, you will not lose on this at all.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
You watch, resale the Z51 option will add $2800 alone, you will not lose on this at all.
Not longer term....especially if running costs are a lot higher than the base model.

Quick Reply: Z51 package or not