Sponsored by:

How does npp stack up to aftermarket exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does npp stack up to aftermarket exhausts

For those of you that have the npp exhaust option what are your opinions vs aftermarket systems
Is it a cat back?Is it as loud as a corsa or borla system ?
Just curious if it's worth it bc I like loud old school muscle sounding systems
Old 12-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 964 Likes on 501 Posts
Tech Contributor

Really too early to tell, more out in 3-4 months
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is a C6 not a C7 but, I chose to not get the NPP knowing I was going to change to Borla type II before I bought the car. deeper sound was what I wanted. I expect the same of the C7 choices.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

Yea I just have a feeling that the aftermarket will offer deeper louder exhaust systems but I really can't say bc I haven't heard the npp in person yet
Maybe someone who has it can chime in if they have had an aftermarket exhaust on their c6 and now the npp on their c7
Old 12-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Gr8ful
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a Corsa on my C5 but I like the NPP on my C7 better. Plus I can quiet it down if need be.
My $.02 worth.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gr8ful
I had a Corsa on my C5 but I like the NPP on my C7 better. Plus I can quiet it down if need be. My $.02 worth.
Did you have a corsa extreme or sport?
So in comparison would you say it's similar as far as being loud/ aggressive ?
Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 AM
shaan
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 17 Posts

I had Borlas on my C6, NPP on my C7 is way better plus I can adjust the sound settings anytime I want. The tips for the NPP are just beautiful to look at
Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,998 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I loaned my car to Corsa for one of their mock up cars. Don't have the system yet but would expect a few more HPs over the NPP. Had indys, headers, hi flow cats and X pipe on a C5 and it was perfect.

BUT I'm getting the feeling aftermarket systems will be north of $2K. How that will work out not sure. Doubt anyone who has NPP will dump it for that much money.

All the aftermarket systems I've seen offer an angular tip. Looks neat but I'm more about HP, then looks of an exhaust.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:47 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I loaned my car to Corsa for one of their mock up cars. Don't have the system yet but would expect a few more HPs over the NPP. Had indys, headers, hi flow cats and X pipe on a C5 and it was perfect. BUT I'm getting the feeling aftermarket systems will be north of $2K. How that will work out not sure. Doubt anyone who has NPP will dump it for that much money. All the aftermarket systems I've seen offer an angular tip. Looks neat but I'm more about HP, then looks of an exhaust.
Yea true
A catback is really just a sound mod anyways so I dunno if it's worth it for an extra 5hp
But if the corsa sounds meaner it may be worth the extra bucks considering I'll have the exhaust on full blast 100% of the time
Old 12-11-2013, 03:29 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on sound alone I expect the cat back system will do well with those of us that have bought the NPP. The plug and play option will be nice to get soe better sound. I can certainly tell when I go from touring to sport mode, it is in fact louder. In my mind though, it isn't as loud as I would like it to be so if an affordable cat back plug n play systems hits the market, I'm interested.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:39 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the factory option because I like to be able to drive in a quiet car on long trips and enjoy the radio, but there are other times when it is nice to turn down the radio and crank up the exhaust.

Most after market systems are loud all the time which is good if you don't mind yelling at the person riding next to you when you want to have a conversation.

Last edited by 2 Ag R8Cs; 12-11-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: TYPO changed quite to quiet
Old 12-11-2013, 04:48 PM
StingRaycer
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My NPP is loud enough that it makes the dogs bark in the house across the street whenever I start it with the valves open. I have had my C7 for about 2 1/2 months and I like to leave it full open - it is loud! I also like that I can quiet it down in the neighborhood in the early am or on a road trip. I had a Corsa on my C5 but it was not the loudest version available and that was 14 years ago so I am not a good resource for comparison. I am very pleased and glad I ordered it on my car.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Blvdbrawler
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

This is a great question. On my C6 I had the B&B Bullet exhaust...One of if not THE most aggressive exhaust made for the car. there's nothing that sounds better to me than an American Muscle Car with a loud obnoxious exhaust!

That being said, I did plan on getting the NPP just for the rare occasion of having to listen to my wife talk to me while driving. However, I did plan on putting the bullets back on now that I see they are available for the C7. My question is, how will this work with the NPP system. Will B&B make bullets where we can still operate the sport vs. tour option or will it be in beast mode all the time?

Thanks...
Old 12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
I got the factory option because I like to be able to drive in a quiet car on long trips and enjoy the radio, but there are other times when it is nice to turn down the radio and crank up the exhaust.

Most after market systems are loud all the time which is good if you don't mind yelling at the person riding next to you when you want to have a conversation.
My thoughts too.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:39 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs

Couldn't agree more…my only issue is when I turn down the radio and want to hear the exhaust I really can't. I love being able to quiet it for long drives but in Sport mode I'd like it about twice as loud as it is now.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

I'm sure adding headers will make it more aggressive sounding
I don't know if the exhaust option is for me I love the meanest deepest system
So if it not as loud as an axle back b&b bullet system or corsa extreme I'll prob go with the bullet system I had on my c5
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

Great option for those who like to tame it down now and again

Get notified of new replies

To How does npp stack up to aftermarket exhausts

Old 12-11-2013, 07:42 PM
ziominix
Instructor

I like the idea of the NPP because I definitely plan on headers and I'll appreciate the ability to tone down the noise for trips or whatnot. Headers and aftermarket exhaust might be a little over the top for some occasions.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:26 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

I'd be interested to know how the performance exhaust sounds/works with an aftermarket header/intake. I'm sure the sound would be really great.

And for those not worried about adding a S/C or Turbo, maybe that'd be the best option? That is, unless you want more sound still. Then upgrade the exhaust too.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:43 PM
Needmorepower
Intermediate

I'm running a zoomers catback with American racing headers on my 392 challenger and I love the sound
In afraid the npp with headers may be too mild
To each is own I guess
Don't wanna make a mistake spending 1200 on the npp only to swap it out 3 weeks later for a 2k aftermarket system lol

Quick Reply: How does npp stack up to aftermarket exhausts