C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAR WARS! Whose Redesign Was BETTER? Chevrolet CORVETTE? Or Ford MUSTANG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

When I saw the early Jalopnik C7 renders, I was underwhelmed and disappointed. Conversely, when I saw the early Aston-like Mustang renders I was excited to see a potentially revolutionary ponycar -- almost worthy of cross-shopping vs. a Vette, and certainly MUCH more attractive than the competitive Camaro.

When I saw the C7 reveal, and even more so in person, I was quite impressed -- they stepped out, took some chances and hit on most of them. On the other hand, the Mustang is incredibly disappointing to me, particularly the very high beltline and the heavy front end...

As a result, in 2020 I will NOT be looking at 2015 Mustangs, unless my finances turn very bad indeed...
Old 12-10-2013, 04:01 PM
KayJay
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

New Mustang reminds me of a 70s era Toyota Celica GT. IMO, can't beat the Boss 302 from the Trans Am days. C7 redesign rules!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:17 PM
fourarmo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Corvette by far. What attracts to the C7 most, is that it truly looks like an exotic head-turning car. The Mustang is still hanging on too much to retro styling.
I agree. Retro needs to go.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:22 PM
coupeguyz51
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOTR 1
You're really asking that question?? Really??
Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neither. Both look like different parts of the car were designed by different teams.

I think the mustang is a bit more cohesive then the C7, but it also sucumbed to across-the-board Ford styling too much.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

the stang looks better, but its apples and oranges
Old 12-10-2013, 04:37 PM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I very much like both. Honestly, while I think the C7 is a better looking car, I think the Mustang is a bigger improvement over the previous generation. The C6 was already a fantastic looking car on the exterior, so they didn't have a whole lot of room for improvement. The new Stang is a sexy machine, though. And I think it would look fantastic with just a bit of a drop and maybe some more aggressive wheels.

Personally, if the Stang lives up to the hype, I may have a difficult decision between a Mustang GT and a Corvette Z51... I'm sure the Vette will still be faster and better overall, but I'm not sure it will be $15-20K (or 30-40%) better.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Corvette hands down. I didn't like what they'd started on with the previous iteration of the Mustang, and this new one's even worse in every aspect. It looks like a bastard child of a beat up Mercedes SL and the worst aspects of what's currently on the road on the 'stang.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:06 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

The Mustang re-design is extremely underwhelming. It looks very ordinary. Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, whatever else you want to compare it to. It'll be a much better car than the current 'Stang I'm sure, but a muscle car shouldn't look so ordinary.

The C7 looks incredible and exotic. You can't say that about the new Mustang.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

The Stingray wins by a long shot (revolutionary) but the new Mustang looks good (evolutionary).
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

AH! It looks like a Mustang to me.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:25 PM
ENCT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I sold my 2014 GT500 last Saturday and am waiting to place my C7 order. I guess that sums up my thoughts.
Eric
Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by FOOTR 1
You're really asking that question?? Really??
Exactly...

The Corvette is a different class of car. They can supercharge and give the Mustang 1000hp...it still is a bloated, wallowing oaf.

The real question is Camaro vs Mustang...and Camaro is stompin that *** hands down...
Old 12-10-2013, 07:29 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Whose Redesign Was BETTER? Chevrolet CORVETTE? Or Ford MUSTANG?

i'd say corvette's. some think they may have gone too far but i disagree. as for the mustang i'd say they didn't go quite far enough.

Last edited by gbgary; 12-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:39 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

The mustang looks like a ford fusion. The ford designers have got it wrong since 2005
Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM
rickriada
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The new stang still looks like the old stang. The new C7 really doesn't look like the old C6 series that is why it is a way over the top "looker". Also, I alone believe that everyone seems to be driving around in a stang and in my perspective, it doesn't have the "pedigree cachet" that a vette has. It is a good comparo to the camaro (no rhyme intended) but I would still rather have a ZL1 convertible camaro in my garage keeping my C7 Z51 coupe company rather than any "retro still" attempt at a stang. Always Chevy for me and the misses....
Old 12-10-2013, 07:48 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't been a Mustang fan since the first year or two and then only the fastback. Given that the new Mustang may be MECHANICALLY (read HANDLING) a far better car overall, I could be a bit more interested if it actually looked a bit different than Mustangs have since 2005.

Then again, I have sworn off Ford since I had such a horrid experience with my 2005 Ford.

Get notified of new replies

To CAR WARS! Whose Redesign Was BETTER? Chevrolet CORVETTE? Or Ford MUSTANG?

Old 12-10-2013, 08:01 PM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry, this question is so dumb it doesn't deserve an answer!! LOL There is absolutely only one answer. Not even up for a debate. One got better, one got worse!
Old 12-10-2013, 08:07 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

I certainly can't answer without spending time looking at both cars in real life. It seems to me that both are pretty much retro designs, the Mustang looking back to the early fastback (and most Mustangs in between), and the C7 looking back to C5 & C6. (The detailing of the C7 is different, but the profile and front views are very similar to C5 & C6.)

Also, successful for what? Mustang covers a huge range from low twenties in price on up, and from base level engines to high horsepower V8s. Corvette is low fifties on up, with a lot of horses under the hood in all versions. It's a much different basic idea.

My take on it is that the less expensive Mustangs are really the best versions, not trying to stretch a pleasant 2 + 2 into supercar territory. Mustang really competes with Camaro, of course, and if it comes in lighter and more modern looking than Camaro it will do well. When we get the next generation Camaro based on the same basic architecture as Cadillac ATS is when that competition will get really interesting.

BTW, I agree with those who mention how busy the new Mustang IP looks.

Finally, this is a design discussion. There's no way to tell about the engineering as yet.

Last edited by fsvoboda; 12-10-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Carnut12
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
I think both companies did a fantastic job on their new designs, and one of these two cars will likely be my next vehicle. I like how both companies made evolutionary design changes, that give new details yet clearly recall the emotion and history of the past versions. Looking at the C7 next to a C6 clearly shows the relationship between the two. Same with the Mustang.

In terms of the exterior, I think the C7 makes the C6 look very tame, but at the same time there are some things about the C7 that I am not thrilled with. Mostly I get bothered by all the vents, especially the ones around the tail lights on the rear end. However, my favorite C7 color is LRG, which does a good job minimizing the impact of those vents, so they don't bother me too much. Also, the front grille on the C7 is a little boring. Just a large gaping mouth with the silver "braces" strip across the middle. Seems a little plain (although, looking at the 350Z in my Avatar clearly shows that I am not overly troubled by a somewhat boring front end). The surfacing of the C7's doors is just fantastic though, as is the hood, headlights, and tail lights themselves. I don't even mind the large black area on the rear, as it helps reduce the visual height of the C7's rear end. For me, the C7 is a home run from afar, but maybe a ground-rule double up close, when I start to investigate some of the details that bother me.

I really like the new Mustang's exterior. I don't think there are any aspects of the design that bother me, but at the same time it doesn't make the old version look dated (so maybe not as much a step forward as the C7). The front end is interesting, and looks like a clear evolution of the current Mustang as well as integrating the new Ford corporate identity in a bold manner. It also has great surfacing on the doors, pulling in the "waist" of the car and making the rear fender flares that much more dramatic. I really like the rear of the new Mustang, how it is lower and sleeker than the previous, as well as the interesting tail light design that continues the 3-bar theme but in a more modern way. The Mustang exterior I'd characterize as a triple. It isn't quite as striking as the C7 as a whole, but doesn't do anything wrong either, and has a great mix of power and elegance.

From an interior perspective, let me say that I am mostly interested in layout and ergonomics, and less concerned about material quality and cheap plastic.
With that in mind, I feel that both are clearly an improvement over previous generations.

The C7 once again has the largest departure from the immediate predecessor, and seems to be a huge step forward in material. I like the large radio screen, and some things about the IP digital screen. I do wish the IP used a mechanical tach as I find the 3-D nature of the mechanical design easier to view. My ideal IP would have a large mechanical central tach, with a digital speed readout in the center. The sections to either side would both be LCD screens, and would allow configurability to show things like oil temp, oil pressure, voltage, diff temp, navigation, radio info, etc. The C7 is close, but the electronic/mechanical aspects are inverted from my idealized setup. The center stack on the C7 is pretty good, with a nice layout, but again, there are certain details that bother me. The air vents bug me because they are all different sizes, and seems to be tacked-on, wherever they will fit. The start button seems to be an afterthought as well. While I like the "cockpit" style layout, part of me thinks a more traditional layout that would have invited the passenger to control the radio would have been better. I also am not a big fan of the C7 steering wheel's hub. It has that stingray shape that is a little gimmicky IMO.

The Mustang interior is pretty cool IMO. I like the layout, although I am not a fan of the IP with the two circular gauges on the sides with the center screen. As metioned above, would rather have the central gauge with two screens on each side. I like the steering wheel, with its straightforward 3-spoke design. The center stack has a nice organization to it. I agree that there is an aspect of the design that is a bit busy, due to the many surfaces and parting lines. I'd need to sit in both to decide which I like better. The C7's looks a bit nicer overall, especially in the door panel details and center armrest area, but it's tough for me to say for sure whether one is "better" than the other or whether they are just different. I do like how the Mustang has accentuated the start button a bit more, and how it has that row of toggle switches. Hopefully those turn out to be nice, rather than chintzy.

The big thing will be how well the drive has improved. Clearly the C7 has been widely praised for being a significant step forward in terms of driving dynamics and feel. If the Mustang can pull off something similar, I think it will be in great shape.

For me, it will be a tough choice between the two. I know the C7 will be faster and more sporty. It has a lower CG, a lower hood, a lower seating position, etc. The Mustang is much more of a GT car, will almost certainly be heavier, and will almost certainly not have as much power. I suspect the new 5.0 will be closer to 440 HP than the 460 of the C7. Also, the torque curve will likely be biased more towards the higher end than the low end of the C7. I would like to see what Ford does for a Boss302 replacement, as that will be the one I'd be most interested in. The 4-seats of the Mustang are important for me, as it would allow me to use the Mustang as a DD (need to take my kids to school). Going with a C7 means I would only get to drive it occasionally when I didn't need to cart the kids around.

Overall I think both cars have had great redesigns, and hope that both are very successful. Looking forward to the next couple years and what the HiPo version of both cars will turn out like.

-T
Good post, until it see the Stang in person I can't tell, but I love the pictures, more so than the first pictures of the C7. The C7 has grown on me, but I still think it has to many lines, the Stang is much cleaner. I also think you have to wait to see what the Boss or Mach look like, I would imagine they will be insane from a value standpoint.

Quick Reply: CAR WARS! Whose Redesign Was BETTER? Chevrolet CORVETTE? Or Ford MUSTANG?