Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:12 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by robertbrucef
The base car sits 1" lower then the z51 because of the bigger rims on the z51. Makes all the difference in the world going over low spots
Would you expand on this please because as written, it makes no sense to me.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM
edub63vette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Agreed, makes no sense. Doesn't matter what the wheel size is, just the difference in the O.D. of the tire. The tire OD on the Z51 would have to be 2 inches taller in order to provide a 1 inch difference,,,,,,,,

Not sure what size are on the non Z51 but you could go into Tirerack website and look up both to give you the difference.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Z51 is a must for me. Its is by far the best-valued option offered on the 2014 car.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
Z51 is a must for me. Its is by far the best-valued option offered on the 2014 car.
Will you be tracking your C7 on a regular basis?
Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default rotor cost- dirt cheap

Originally Posted by Tommy D
Amazing if some one posts anything negative they are immediately a troll.

Consider this: two heavy duty 2011 C6 Z06 rear rotors will cost you your lungs. Check out the cost at GM parts house. You can probably get them cheaper from EBC.

If you replace all four rotors and pads it is very possible that you will be looking at a material amount of money. Dealers usually charge list price. $ 2,500.00 is quite possible and I always look for a bargain.

The new C7 Z51 has brakes which are comparable. If you utilize EBC the rotors should be cheaper than direct replacement from GM but a four wheel brake job will be expensive......

My suggestion is to spend some time, do a search and look at the cost of parts....... and yes you can get cheaper rotors & pads but sometimes you get what you pay for....... cheaper rotors usually weigh more and now you have more rotating mass.

as the old saying goes......

"If you want to play you have to pay".

I find it frustrating that most of you on this forum only want to read what you want to read anything else is put down.
the OEM rear rotors from GM for Z06 are $75. each
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

You are right, it makes no sense, because it is totally wrong. The tire diameter of Z51 and non-Z51 cars is within 0.2 in of each other, because the Zs have lower profile tires.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:22 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

$2500 ????? That is VERY steep, especially with no track use. Can you tell us where GM stated this replacement cost? That may be the deciding factor as to whether or not I order the Z51 option.
Why would you give this guy any credence. He thinks non-z51s have no center front air dam, whereas it's exactly opposite. Zs have no center dam to allow air to get to all the rear coolers and equalize lift distribution (I have heard both as reasons for the absent Z air dam section.). Not to mention, numerous posters have found brake parts far lower than he quoted.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:46 PM
cpages2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a few months away from putting my order in (2LT Z51) and I have read a number of topics on this and I always come to this conslusion. WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT IT?

Dry Sump
Rear Diff Cooling
Better Brakes

If I am not mistaken those are only on the Z51 package and make it worthwhile for the price if you ask me.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by cpages2
I am a few months away from putting my order in (2LT Z51) and I have read a number of topics on this and I always come to this conslusion. WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT IT?

Dry Sump
Rear Diff Cooling
Better Brakes

If I am not mistaken those are only on the Z51 package and make it worthwhile for the price if you ask me.
Why? Realize some people has diff needs than you..
1. Dry sump? Why? 3 more quarts as a DD? No thanks
2. Diff cooling? Why? As a DD it does not need to be " more cooled "
3. Better brakes? Are mine bad? They stop me fine.

I don't diss anyone for buying z51, I just wish those that did would stop looking down their nose at those of us that did not.....it's childish.....
Old 12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
cpages2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Glen e

I don't diss anyone for buying z51, I just wish those that did would stop looking down their nose at those of us that did not.....it's childish.....
I guess my brain works a little different.

1) I dont live in a world where 3qts of oil means my family does not eat Also I may track my car one day, but even if I dont its good to know I have piece of mind when I am out with spirited driving.

2) With any performance vehicle any time you can cool fluids its a plus. DD or Track Car if I can get a Transmission and Differential cooler I would take it. I used to have e92 335i and there was a VIN split of when BMW were putting on fluid coolers from the factory. Tons of people with early models that just DD'd their car had issues where as people with the cooling units did not just because the car ran a lot better.

3) No one is saying the stock brakes do not work, but an upgrade is always a plus. Would I take single pot brakes or 6 pot BREMBO? They both stop the car...

Also I dont think anyone is looking down their nose. It just seems like a no brainier to have these added items on your performance car.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 506 Posts
Tech Contributor

I guess my brain works a little different.

Also I dont think anyone is looking down their nose. It just seems like a no brainier to have these added items on your performance car.
But I honestly don't need them.....and not saying you are looking down your nose, but that prevails here at times.....along with people who buy AT'S.....rediculous ......

Last edited by Glen e; 12-16-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:12 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e

Absolutely correct. I can guarantee you that the vast majority of those who opt for the Z51 will never track their car and will never, ever, need or utilize any of that stuff.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:02 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Why would you give this guy any credence. He thinks non-z51s have no center front air dam, whereas it's exactly opposite. Zs have no center dam to allow air to get to all the rear coolers and equalize lift distribution (I have heard both as reasons for the absent Z air dam section.). Not to mention, numerous posters have found brake parts far lower than he quoted.
I was actually trying to give him a chance to reread his post and either modify it, delete it or post prices. It really was not my intention to give him any credence at all. The sarcasm emoticon was gone, sorry.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:05 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Dry Sump
Rear Diff Cooling
Better Brakes

The one thing that is on the Z51 that is not available otherwise is the mag. ride, at least that is my understanding and the mag. ride is one option I think I might really like.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

The one thing that is on the Z51 that is not available otherwise is the mag. ride, at least that is my understanding and the mag. ride is one option I think I might really like.
Correct. Currently only available w Z51
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM
thebeastifier
Advanced

Why do you want the mag ride? It's been stated numerous times on the forums that the base C7s ride is smoother than a Z51 with mag ride. Specifically, most people seem to be getting the mag ride to be able to get the Z51 package while simultaneously getting a smoother ride for comfort as a DD. So if ride quality is a concern, getting a base is probably better for you.

I myself will be getting a Z51, but only because I much prefer the wheels. If they had the Z51 wheels as an option on the base, I'd be all over it .
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 PM
sajonf
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thebeastifier
Why do you want the mag ride? It's been stated numerous times on the forums that the base C7s ride is smoother than a Z51 with mag ride. Specifically, most people seem to be getting the mag ride to be able to get the Z51 package while simultaneously getting a smoother ride for comfort as a DD. So if ride quality is a concern, getting a base is probably better for you.

I myself will be getting a Z51, but only because I much prefer the wheels. If they had the Z51 wheels as an option on the base, I'd be all over it .
It's not just for a softer ride, it's the ability to adjust it on the fly for comfort or performance depending on where and how you are driving. There is a drastic change in ride stiffness between tour, sport and track. I love having the ability to switch it to tour cruising around town then switching it over to sport for a much firmer ride when I want a spirited ride through the twisties

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 or not?

Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Reasons for Z-51 for me, I may or may not track the car, so that is not my reason.

I like the wider spoiler, I like the rims and tires better, and the black ones only add 500 dollars. The option pack on up graded rims to black is not much more than a good set of black rims in that size, with matching tires. Then add in the z51 spoiler.

Plus I really like Magnetic ride, at least that which is in my Range Rover. I also think more cooling is always better.

The way I look at it, this is my frist never previously owned Corvette. In the big picture 2800 dollars is not that much when you look at the over all cost of the car, especially with the LT3.

Its not a make or brake me getting the car, and its not much money over 60 months.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Okay, I did exactly what you suggested. I priced out Stoptech performance street pads and Stoptech Sport slotted rotors for for all corners for a 2011 C6 Z06. The cost, before shipping and taxes was..................................... ...... are you ready?.................................. .....................

$740 to replace the pads AND rotors on all four corners from TireRack. Pretty close to 1/4 of the cost that is being questioned. And while the new C7 does have great brakes, they are not CCB's or anything else exotic. So no, I still don't believe $2500 is anything CLOSE to what a basic brake job will cost.

And you wonder why we called the post a troll comment? You might do YOUR due diligence and tell us what you get for pricing.

The cost quoted was what the dealer would charge. Maybe you should re-read my post. Do you know anything about rotating mass and the weight of rotors.

Why don't you check the weight of the stoptech rotors and compare them to what is on the car. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR I am done there is no reasoning with anyone who has a closed mind
Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tommy D
I am done there is no reasoning with anyone who has a closed mind
I absolutely agree with this.

Quick Reply: Z51 or not?