Goodbye M3, hello C7

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 10:46 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
The base suspension is reported to be fairly soft compared to the Z51 or the Z51 w/ MRC and I would expect the performance difference would be meaningful.

The C7 would not just eat an M3 with the right driver, it would simply eat an M3 The M3 is an 8:10 car on the 'Ring and the C7 will likey be 7:30 to 7:40 (if you extrapolate based on track times vs. the 911S)... that is NOT even a little close

Having said that the M3 is an amazing car and I miss mine. I might buy an M4 at some point for a daily driver with the C7 for weekends/track.
Congrats on your new ride! I'm sure as time goes on and you become more comfortable in the car, you will find yourself appreciating it even more.

If you want a great suspension upgrade that will maintain the comfortable drivability over the bumps yet be a huge upgrade over the stock suspension in the corners, check out the DRM custom valved Bilsteins. I swapped my 09 Z06 stock shocks for the DRM ones and it made a world of difference in every aspect. Probably one of the best upgrades I did to my Z06 besides the aesthetic stuff. While I am not sure if they have them yet for the C7, I'm sure it won't be long before they do. Best of all is that it's a very inexpensive upgrade with a huge return in my opinion. You can do a search here for DRM and you will find many happy campers!
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
djseto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quick04Z06
Z51 plus mag ride is the way to go for max handling plus pretty good ride comfort when you want it. The base and Z 51 cars are set up quite differently to cover the full range of Corvette customers. Sorry you bought the softer car.
Ha. Yeh. I wish I had been able to drive the Z51 and compare it to the base model. The only way I was getting an Arctic White Z51 was to order one and frankly, I'm an impatient person. The few dealers in my area said a Z51 custom build could be March/April time frame if not longer. If I didn't have this car now, who knows what I would have moved onto by then!

I think over time, I'll acclimate to the softer setup once I know the softness doesn't mean less grip, just a different feeling going into a turn. I can aftermarket something later down the road anyways.

What really sucks is the 4 days of rain being forecasted. I guess she'll be in the garage except for when I get my clear bra put on.

Would like to tint the windows darker and power coat the wheels black....
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

Originally Posted by djseto
Just traded my 2008 BMW M3 Coupe for a White with Red interior 2LT. NEVER thought I would get rid of the M3 for any american made sports car. Just had a 90 mile drive home from my dealer...and I don't miss my M3. Not. One. Bit.

Even got 28.9 MPG!
White w/Red 2LT (Z51) is what I'm looking at. Seems like a really good color match.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 PM
AH1H
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slief
Congrats on your new ride! I'm sure as time goes on and you become more comfortable in the car, you will find yourself appreciating it even more.

If you want a great suspension upgrade that will maintain the comfortable drivability over the bumps yet be a huge upgrade over the stock suspension in the corners, check out the DRM custom valved Bilsteins. I swapped my 09 Z06 stock shocks for the DRM ones and it made a world of difference in every aspect. Probably one of the best upgrades I did to my Z06 besides the aesthetic stuff. While I am not sure if they have them yet for the C7, I'm sure it won't be long before they do. Best of all is that it's a very inexpensive upgrade with a huge return in my opinion. You can do a search here for DRM and you will find many happy campers!
How does that compare to stock suspension with magnetic selective ride control?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
RayM2014
Heel & Toe

traded my 07 BMW "M" Roadster for an White 2LT C7, without a test drive. All expert reviews as well as the enthusiasts on this site convinced me I won't be disappointed.

The M was a point and shoot on the highway, 0-60 in 4,8, and stuck to the ground in the twisties.

Anxiously waiting for spring.

I
Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM
HollywoodC7
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Im not selling my 12' 535i M sport....no way....that is the craziest wonderful daily driver in the world...But, yes i will acquire the C7 as the Hot ride for enjoyment...
Old 12-08-2013, 08:14 AM
teking
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djseto
Just traded my 2008 BMW M3 Coupe for a White with Red interior 2LT. NEVER thought I would get rid of the M3 for any american made sports car. Just had a 90 mile drive home from my dealer...and I don't miss my M3. Not. One. Bit.

Even got 28.9 MPG!
Made the same move back in 1998. Agreed.

Quick Reply: Goodbye M3, hello C7