C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can we look just how ludicrous it is for GM to ship by rail?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 125 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

It does not cost GM nothing at all to ship , we pay for it on the $750 charge when you by a car I think they call it DESTINATION charge , GM is laughing all the way to the bank with our money
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RonR80
It does not cost GM nothing at all to ship , we pay for it on the $750 charge when you by a car I think they call it DESTINATION charge , GM is laughing all the way to the bank with our money
$995 dude $995
Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Elleby13
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin'
this made me
Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
SpryGeezer
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Solution:
Eliminate destination charges and shipping costs by requiring all new car buyers to take delivery at the assembly plant.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:37 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

What are you talking about? The transportation companies go to GM and say, they want to deliver all their cars for free? What?

And the charge is $995.

By the way "does not cost nothing" is a double negative. Which implies, it does cost something.

Last edited by speedlink; 12-02-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by SpryGeezer
Solution:
Eliminate destination charges and shipping costs by requiring all new car buyers to take delivery at the assembly plant.
be simpler especially if the dealers make their same money. That way a person could have their car shipped or they could pick it up and drive it back with the $995 saved. Just have some service company there that would prep it for a $200.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:57 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
By the way "does not cost nothing" is a double negative. Which implies, it does cost something.
Yes, as distinguished from "don't cost nothin," which means it's free.

Does anybody here actually know what it costs GM to ship by rail or ship only by truck from BG? I doubt the OP knows beans about it, and is just mad about not having the car and is making up theories. Humans have done likewise from the dawn of time, and that's how we determined that winter and summer are due to the Hades-Persephone-Zeus incident involving some pomegranate seeds.

Does anybody know why, if we transport things by truck or train, we still say they're shipped? There's no ship anywhere!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:58 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Just to put it into perspective on how GM and the union rules make a mess of things: every Corvette that is delivered at the Museum is shipped by truck from the plant. By road it is 800 yards - less than 1/2 mile - from the factory to the museum. Tell me how that makes sense?
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
CSEVEN
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 642 Likes on 289 Posts

OP,

Do you get an invoice on your car? My car was invoiced last Wednesday and is getting on the train this Wednesday VIA Michigan, than its a short truck drive from East Brookfield MA
Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gixxerbill
your forgetting corporate bureaucracy, layovers and load times there ain't no way in hell a train with that many loads and unloads is going to beat a semi. Now if the train was right outside the plant and your dealership was at the end the train would win. But that ain't happening. Trains should be used to carry heavy stuff that can't be damaged easily like a 75 thousand dollar car.
With a truck the driver is limited to how many hours he can drive each day, if you add in the food and "P" stops, plus traffic lights it has to be closer than you think. The wheels on that train are turning 24/7 and i bet the route the tracks take are more of a straight line while the route an interstate forces a truck to travel are more N / S and E / W while tracks may run SW / NE. When I travel from SC to NY I need to head north till I get to Harrisburg then head east from Harrisburg to NY. If it were possible to drive NE without driving on roads with 30 MPH speed limits I could probably cut off a couple hundred miles from the trip.

All I am saying is even if a truck is faster I still would bet the train is not much slower just because of the fact that there is no stopping a train or slowing it down due to bad road conditions due to weatherWhen a truck needs to make a fuel stop I would bet it probably takes almost two hours to fuel up.

On the British TV show "Top Gear" they take a super fast car and race against a train or boat and sometimes the sports car that can travel at almost 200 MPH looses to a car. How well would a train do against a truck, I think it would be closer than most people think it would be.

Even if a truck was 8 hours faster would it really matter, The final deliver time is restricted to when the dealer is open for business.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:09 PM
vincent_esq
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 Ag R8Cs
With a truck the driver is limited to how many hours he can drive each day, if you add in the food and "P" stops, plus traffic lights it has to be closer than you think. The wheels on that train are turning 24/7 and i bet the route the tracks take are more of a straight line while the route an interstate forces a truck to travel are more N / S and E / W while tracks may run SW / NE. When I travel from SC to NY I need to head north till I get to Harrisburg then head east from Harrisburg to NY. If it were possible to drive NE without driving on roads with 30 MPH speed limits I could probably cut off a couple hundred miles from the trip.

All I am saying is even if a truck is faster I still would bet the train is not much slower just because of the fact that there is no stopping a train or slowing it down due to bad road conditions due to weatherWhen a truck needs to make a fuel stop I would bet it probably takes almost two hours to fuel up.

On the British TV show "Top Gear" they take a super fast car and race against a train or boat and sometimes the sports car that can travel at almost 200 MPH looses to a car. How well would a train do against a truck, I think it would be closer than most people think it would be.

Even if a truck was 8 hours faster would it really matter, The final deliver time is restricted to when the dealer is open for business.
Well, whether you are correct or not, I know that it will be exactly 2 weeks to the day by tomorrow, and my car has not arrived in N. CA yet. I may be wrong, but in the past, it did not take that long for the trucks to deliver the C7 to N. CA, did it? I will ask Tim today on his experience on his prior C7 deliveries.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:10 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 12-02-2013, 03:00 PM
awstngray
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am extremely frustrated. My car shipped around two weeks ago, and as far as I know it's not even headed to california yet. The shipping process should NOT take a month or more, that is unacceptable. I would understand if it was being shipped to Hawaii or something, but come on.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:13 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Elleby13
this made me
thanks...it's just one of those 'grin and bare (bear) it' situations...or 'it is what it is'....someone will post a 'patience' animation soon.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Brock 70
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn unions screw up everything. I guess your right I should just try to be patient(which I am not btw) I originally ordered a c7 at a local dealer and not getting a call for a whole month to start build decided to I was going to buy a 911 turbo instead. Then I nice poster on here told me of a spec a car a dealer had and it was built 11/1 so I instantly put money down on it. The salesman is super cool and told me it would be here in a 10 to 12 days and 1/2 way through is when gm decided to use rail and now a month later no car. I sure hope you picked the 1000 museum delivery and not have to go through all this rail mess.
Unions built this country, it's cry babies like yourself that are ruining it. You should have ordered the C7 earlier and with a CF dealer and we wouldn't have to hear you cry about it.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:15 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It also does not cost GM anything for the motor, nor does it cost anything for the tires, and it does not cost them anything to have people come into the factory and put them together
Old 12-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Brock 70
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Just to put it into perspective on how GM and the union rules make a mess of things: every Corvette that is delivered at the Museum is shipped by truck from the plant. By road it is 800 yards - less than 1/2 mile - from the factory to the museum. Tell me how that makes sense?
So would you rather GM hire more employees to drive the new cars from the plant to museum? Would you want some UNION guy driving your new car on the road and through gravel, dirt, salt or whatever else might be out there. How about the chance of getting in an accident when moving the cars on public roadways? They also would need temp tags placed on every car and removed from every car. That in itself would take longer to do than actually driving the Vette over. Don't forget about the temp insurance card that needs to go with every car as well. I believe its people more like yourself that make a mess of things by not understanding exactly what is going on and what is involved. You guys don't have to buy UNION made products, you have other choices. Go buy something else if you hate or dislike the UNION so much. I hear the 370z is made in a non union plant.

Get notified of new replies

To Can we look just how ludicrous it is for GM to ship by rail?

Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM
gixxerbill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brock 70
Unions built this country, it's cry babies like yourself that are ruining it. You should have ordered the C7 earlier and with a CF dealer and we wouldn't have to hear you cry about it.
unions didn't build crap employees do all the building - all unions do is take fees from hard working employees and cause strikes. You should know that Jimmy Hoffa. hmm i guess you weren't dead afterall.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

unions didn't build crap employees do all the building - all unions do is take fees from hard working employees and cause strikes. You should know that Jimmy Hoffa. hmm i guess you weren't dead afterall.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:37 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock 70
So would you rather GM hire more employees to drive the new cars from the plant to museum? Would you want some UNION guy driving your new car on the road and through gravel, dirt, salt or whatever else might be out there.
I guess you have never been to the factory or museum?
So who exactly takes your car from the factory final assembly area to the parking lot? And then who loads and unloads it off a car carrier?
I'd rather have my car driven the 800 yards on Corvette Drive, which runs directly from the Factory to the Museum without being on any public roads than have it loaded and unloaded off a car carrier. And, I am sure for the $995 delivery fee per car, we could move the 6-12 cars delivered at the museum every day with just 1 extra employee and still make a financial killing on the arrangement.

Quick Reply: Can we look just how ludicrous it is for GM to ship by rail?