Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for C6 to C7 owners

Old 11-29-2013, 11:00 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question for C6 to C7 owners

I was driving my 427 today on the interstate and was experiencing probably the only thing I wish was different about my car and wondered if the new C7 is better. The problem is with the extremely wide tires on the 427, it wants to really wander on the roads unless on a very smooth road. I'm guessing that the narrower tires on the C7 would probably ride and track the road much better. I can remember when I went up in tire size on my former NSX and it basically did the same thing with the wider tires. It honestly was much more pleasant to drive with the stock tires than the upgraded wider tires. I can't help but believe the Chevy engineers might very well have had this characteristic in their list of things that could be better when they designed the C7 with narrower tires. I love the look of the big wide tires, but I'd bet anything the car would track the road much better with narrower tires and if the suspension is designed from top to bottom to work with narrower tires, wider is not going to be necessarily better. For those C7 owners that might have come from a wide tire C6, I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:05 AM
C7GrandSport
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pmartjr
I was driving my 427 today on the interstate and was experiencing probably the only thing I wish was different about my car and wondered if the new C7 is better. The problem is with the extremely wide tires on the 427, it wants to really wander on the roads unless on a very smooth road. I'm guessing that the narrower tires on the C7 would probably ride and track the road much better. I can remember when I went up in tire size on my former NSX and it basically did the same thing with the wider tires. It honestly was much more pleasant to drive with the stock tires than the upgraded wider tires. I can't help but believe the Chevy engineers might very well have had this characteristic in their list of things that could be better when they designed the C7 with narrower tires. I love the look of the big wide tires, but I'd bet anything the car would track the road much better with narrower tires and if the suspension is designed from top to bottom to work with narrower tires, wider is not going to be necessarily better. For those C7 owners that might have come from a wide tire C6, I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Coming from my supercharged 05 C6 with Z06 sized rear tires, I can tell you the C7 feels a lot more stable. It will still want to track with some road irregularities, but definitely not as much as my C6. I'm sure it's not just the tires, but improved suspension and aerodynamics as well.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:27 PM
pmartjr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverDevil
Coming from my supercharged 05 C6 with Z06 sized rear tires, I can tell you the C7 feels a lot more stable. It will still want to track with some road irregularities, but definitely not as much as my C6. I'm sure it's not just the tires, but improved suspension and aerodynamics as well.
Thank you SilverDevil for your post. Apparently there aren't as many C6 owners who have purchased a C7 as I thought there would be. I surely expected to hear from quite a few C7 owners. I'm sure you are correct that it isn't only the tires but the new suspension as well. Like I said in my original post, it is all designed together. I am anxious to drive a C7 just to see how much better it might be in this regard.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:41 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Have your alignment checked. A few yrs ago while getting new tires I had the alignment set to the street specs from Pfadt and I noticed a huge improvement on the hwy.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:59 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by pmartjr
Tramlining is more pronounced by the design of the tire vs the width of the tire. When I got rid of the OE Goodyear's on my Z06 and went with the Bridgestone's I notice a lot less tramlining. Others that have gone with Michelins vs the OE Goodyear's on their GS's and Z06's report the same findings.

My C5 had narrow tires(like the C7) and it really tramlined bad with the OE Goodyear's( way, way worse than my wide tired Z06) but 90% of the tramlining disappeared as soon as I installed Michelin A/S tires on the C5.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:03 PM
DocHolliday
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to know Joe…thanks for that.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:04 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,069 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I have 2400 mostly highway miles on my Z51 C7 and I have not experienced any tram-lining. Have not had any hydroplaning issues either.This is a great road car.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM
DanTheFireman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

My experience has been that the C7 Z51 is far better on the highway than the '08 Z06. Also, in 27,000 miles I got 8 or 9 ( lost count) punctures from nails/screws in the rear tires. The C7 tires are plenty sticky so I'm not expecting miracles. Road noise is also much better and driving in the rain is less of a challenge.

2008 Z06 1; stock GYs
2: Nitto NT05, 345 rears
3: Michelin PSS, 345 rears

Get notified of new replies

To Question for C6 to C7 owners

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question for C6 to C7 owners