Sponsored by:

C7 Nurburgring time

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:34 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
If GM is so worried about getting an optimum time why don't they run 1/4 mile times in the most favorable conditions?
Originally Posted by gthal
Because it will be important for the C7 to get it's "best" time relative to the 911S. The 911S would have been tested in optimal conditions and the C7 will need to as well. If they published "compromised" times with a caveat, that will still be compared to the 911S in ideal conditions. The Z28 has no direct benchmark really and is very low volume for GM... so, the very strong time in less than ideal conditions can be posted with the caveat that they could be even faster. VERY different marketing objectives and, therefore, very different need to get the C7 time under ideal conditions if the benchmark is the 911S. Keep in mind, they have bettered the 911S in every timed track test that has been published... you would expect nothing different at the 'Ring... GM wants the best conditions to get the correct spread between the cars.

All speculation at this point but that's all we have
That makes perfect sense but then as I asked earlier why would GM not run their 1/4 times in the most optimum conditions, they had all year to go to the right track with the right air temp, best grip etc. Why just post 3.9 and 11.8 if the car can do better? After all, 1/4 mile times mean a lot to many and it's a hugely competitive segment, for me though it's about road course diversity. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 11-28-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:40 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,156 Likes on 516 Posts

Maybe their allowing Camaro to have the limelight for just a little longer. After all they are bringing out the Z28 just now! The marketing people have reasons I'm sure.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,986 Likes on 1,145 Posts

curious to commentors on here to who this is important....... how many track your cars? Seems to me unless you are doing some serious racing what would it matter? I track my car very modestly, I'm not a die hard but it does not matter to me if I run 140 or 150 down the straight away.

Each to their own..... I just don't see the value of saying gee my car is X fast if you are a waxer or garage queen?
Old 11-28-2013, 08:52 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
curious to commentors on here to who this is important....... how many track your cars? Seems to me unless you are doing some serious racing what would it matter? I track my car very modestly, I'm not a die hard but it does not matter to me if I run 140 or 150 down the straight away.

Each to their own..... I just don't see the value of saying gee my car is X fast if you are a waxer or garage queen?
Couldn't agree more! For those of us who do track our cars how versatile a car is on a road course is important. I feel the same way about drag racing, it means nothing to me especially for those who drive automatics, anyone can point and shoot.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:26 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

I completely agree. The only purpose of measures like this is to get a sense for how well the entire car performs as a package at the limit. Most folks will never experience that so, for them, it is bragging rights and feel good info only.

I get about 40 to 50 hours a year on the track. For me it matters but, even then, the car is more capable than I actually "need", but the track times simply help to put the capability of the car at the track in perspective compared to other cars.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty superficial if you ask me. I know it is important to some........ bragging rights and the like but only thing that matters to me is my daily drive enjoyment.
The voice of reason...
Old 11-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Notch
Safety Car

The only purpose of measures like this is to get a sense for how well the entire car performs as a package at the limit.
Right; driven by a professional driver on a track that he has memorized and that is in great condition. How does this translate to real world roads where the surface conditions can be vastly different than the track condition where a best effort lap time was set, where the corners and braking points are not memorized, and where the vast majority of drivers don't corner their cars at the limit?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Most folks will never experience that so, for them, it is bragging rights and feel good info only.
Bragging rights?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Curiously, has anyone ever bought a product based on its ratings/performance? Maybe a microwave, tv, smart phone etc. To say the data and results a "sports car" gets be it driven by a pro or not has no worth makes no sense. Isn't it fair to say that is a pro can run one car faster than another an amateur most likely will also run that faster car better than the other? Yes track data means a lot, and not bragging rights!
Old 11-28-2013, 01:22 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does Chevrolet spend a ton of money testing and setting times at Nurburgring just for fun and giggles? Hardly. Within the competitive sports car market the time established there has meaning and significance, if only for "bragging rights".
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2013, 01:23 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Isn't it fair to say that is a pro can run one car faster than another an amateur most likely will also run that faster car better than the other?
Are you talking about at the track?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rcallen484
... if only for "bragging rights".
Bragging to who?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Notch
Bragging to who?
You are not much into esoteric concepts, are you? Mechanized German thinking
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,730 Likes on 783 Posts

How does this translate to real world roads where the surface conditions can be vastly different than the track condition where a best effort lap time was set, where the corners and braking points are not memorized, and where the vast majority of drivers don't corner their cars at the limit?

It is not intended to translate to the above, and it doesn't need to; Performance is performance, and there are many who are interested in it. Some drive on racetracks, some don't. Why have 460hp? Why have a e-diff? Why have track-ready tires and brakes? Why have an oil cooler, a trans cooler, and a diff cooler? Why have a lap timer? Why talk about track times at all? Why engineer the C7 with any of this in mind? Simply because it's something that interests us.

Driving on a country road, out for a Sunday drive, and not pushing near the limit has its own rewards as well as its own metrics for performance and enjoyability, and can be discussed without bringing up absolute lap times.

Why attempt to tell a group of thread viewers discussing Ring times, that their performance metrics don't matter and can only be discussed in the light of how it translates to a Sunday drive?

Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rcallen484
You are not much into esoteric concepts, are you?
Can you answer my question?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Are you talking about at the track?
Yes sir! What I'm saying is whether we are buying a chainsaw or a sports car we all want to know about its diverse capabilities and performance. And I would never discuss anything performance wise at any place but a road course where a car can flex its muscles to the drivers maximum ability.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RedLS6
It is not intended to translate to the above, and it doesn't need to; Performance is performance, and there are many who are interested in it. Some drive on racetracks, some don't. Why have 460hp? Why have a e-diff? Why have track-ready tires and brakes? Why have an oil cooler, a trans cooler, and a diff cooler? Why have a lap timer? Why talk about track times at all? Why engineer the C7 with any of this in mind? Simply because it's something that interests us.

Driving on a country road, out for a Sunday drive, and not pushing near the limit has its own rewards as well as its own metrics for performance and enjoyability, and can be discussed without bringing up absolute lap times.

Why attempt to tell a group of thread viewers discussing Ring times, that their performance metrics don't matter and can only be discussed in the light of how it translates to a Sunday drive?

Superlative post, well done!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Nurburgring time

Old 11-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RedLS6
Why attempt to tell a group of thread viewers discussing Ring times, that their performance metrics don't matter... ?
Did I say they don't matter?
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Can you answer my question?
Notch, your question provides it's own answer. You do not understand the concept of "bragging rights". You never will. Your brain is incapable of same. Not your fault, it is the way you are. Scoot along now.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Notch
Safety Car

Yes sir!
So how do the metrics of a professionally driven car on a track under great conditions (the Ring) translate into anything useful for armature owner who will never drive their car on the Ring?

Quick Reply: C7 Nurburgring time