Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Nurburgring time

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

When they announce the Ring time it will be yet another stake in the heart of the C7 doubters.......

First was the lower than expected MSRP........

2nd was the 11.4 sec 1/4 mile times Snorman got......

3rd will be the ring time .......wait for it....wait for it.....

I mean do you REALLY think its gonna have a poor Ring time???? ......LOL
Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
My guess is they have run it but weren't pleased with the outcome.
Could be a good guess, but then we also have a precedent where a manufacturer ran a lap but did not release the time until much later. Last year, some of us (myself included) guessed that Ford wasn't happy with the performance of the GT500 on the 'Ring, and that's why they didn't release it. The recent release of the GT500 outlapping the ZL1 proves that was wrong.
That being said, I don't think GM should care so much about the lap time. Whether it's 5-10s slower or faster than another car is interesting for forums to talk about, but it's largely inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. People who are not seasoned race veterans there will tell you that a lap under 8 minutes in a production road car is f'n quick, and especially a lap in the 7:40s with a bit of drizzle (if that was the case).
Old 11-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
When they announce the Ring time it will be yet another stake in the heart of the C7 doubters.......

First was the lower than expected MSRP........

2nd was the 11.4 sec 1/4 mile times Snorman got......

3rd will be the ring time .......wait for it....wait for it.....

I mean do you REALLY think its gonna have a poor Ring time???? ......LOL
lol they've been reduced now to only asking about what the "official" Z51 weight is and what the nurburgring time is
Old 11-27-2013, 06:36 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The demand can not be meet for the new c7 z51 so why would a corporation release "ring time " at this time.

Smart marketing efforts would delay the Ring time" information release until z51 production can meet and exceed demand.

Automobile car of the year......

Road and track performance car of the year

And we all know consumer demand for the z51 c7 has exceeded even GM s expectations...

I happen to believe the LS7 equipped z28 without air conditioning and a radio is as quick or quicker than the c7 without question...

I still believe the c7 z51 will crush the Porsche 911s time without question...

Whatever that time may be.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you comedians that thinks the Ring time means nothing you couldn't be more wrong. Maybe the Z51 was outperformed by the Z28, now GM wouldn't want that to happen now would they? The Ring is the Holy Grail of an automobiles overall prowess and ability, that is why everyone goes there but I guess that is too simple to understand!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
S3XPanther
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For you comedians that thinks the Ring time means nothing you couldn't be more wrong. Maybe the Z51 was outperformed by the Z28, now GM wouldn't want that to happen now would they? The Ring is the Holy Grail of an automobiles overall prowess and ability, that is why everyone goes there but I guess that is too simple to understand!
This is poor retort. The Z28 is a purpose built track car, I'd think we'd be fooling ourselves if we thought a plain jane Z51 could match or surpass it's time. That's what a hi-po C7 is for. So to say that GM wouldn't want that to happen (Z28 surpassing a Z51) is illogical. They know fully well a Z28 can and should outperform a Z51.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by S3XPanther
This is poor retort. The Z28 is a purpose built track car, I'd think we'd be fooling ourselves if we thought a plain jane Z51 could match or surpass it's time. That's what a hi-po C7 is for. So to say that GM wouldn't want that to happen (Z28 surpassing a Z51) is illogical. They know fully well a Z28 can and should outperform a Z51.
I don't agree, just b/c a car is w/out a/c and some other stripped items doesn't make it a full blown racer. correct me if I'm wrong but still a dry sump push rod V8 with only 40 more hp than the C7 and weighing in at roughly 400 huge lbs. more, that to me does not sould like a full blown road course car. The C7 via testing is supposed to have superior braking and lateral g abilities so where would it have the shortcomings vs. the Z28? I wouldn't say tires or brakes, nor would the weight be a disadvantage, maybe aero, I don't know about the drag specs on either.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 PM
S3XPanther
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't agree, just b/c a car is w/out a/c and some other stripped items doesn't make it a full blown racer. correct me if I'm wrong but still a dry sump push rod V8 with only 40 more hp than the C7 and weighing in at roughly 400 huge lbs. more, that to me does not sould like a full blown road course car. The C7 via testing is supposed to have superior braking and lateral g abilities so where would it have the shortcomings vs. the Z28? I wouldn't say tires or brakes, nor would the weight be a disadvantage, maybe aero, I don't know about the drag specs on either.
You're right, aero is definitely a huge factor as well. However, the Z28 is more than just a stripped down Camaro. Sure, it's an LS7 with 40 more hp, but that's not really significant. What is very much significant, other than the aero package you already mentioned, are the carbon brakes, the hugely revamped suspension (believe it or not, there were almost 200 revisions to the chassis, many of which the masses still aren't privy to), the super sticky tires, and a 3.91 rear end. So, while it's not a "race car", it is very much a track car. And, from what I understand, the Z51 is simply a performance package, but in no way turns the C7 into a track car. Again, that's the hi-po variant's job.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

You're right, aero is definitely a huge factor as well. However, the Z28 is more than just a stripped down Camaro. Sure, it's an LS7 with 40 more hp, but that's not really significant. What is very much significant, other than the aero package you already mentioned, are the carbon brakes, the hugely revamped suspension (believe it or not, there were almost 200 revisions to the chassis, many of which the masses still aren't privy to), the super sticky tires, and a 3.91 rear end. So, while it's not a "race car", it is very much a track car. And, from what I understand, the Z51 is simply a performance package, but in no way turns the C7 into a track car. Again, that's the hi-po variant's job.
Good points all! Did not know it had CCB's, I wonder how that much gear helps it on a long course like the Ring? The weight still has to be a huge negative, it will be interesting to compare them on other style courses as well.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

This thread is so great, I love it because.... The same yahoo(s) who said the car is going to be a real disappointment at the drag strip are setting themselves up for FAILure.............again! This is one of the last things they are holding on to and soon they will be shut up..........again.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

The Z28 is a purpose built track car, I'd think we'd be fooling ourselves if we thought a plain jane Z51 could match or surpass it's time. So to say that GM wouldn't want that to happen (Z28 surpassing a Z51) is illogical. They know fully well a Z28 can and should outperform a Z51.
The Z51 is much more comprehensive than "plain jane" (look it up). And, we already know the Z51 is faster than the Z28 because the factory driver ran 1 sec slower in the Z28 on a 3mn course. There is no question the Z28 is a real feat - I can't believe they could get a Camaro to do this, but the Z51 is quicker, as well it should be.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:58 PM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
This thread is so great, I love it because.... The same yahoo(s) who said the car is going to be a real disappointment at the drag strip are setting themselves up for FAILure.............again! This is one of the last things they are holding on to and soon they will be shut up..........again.
Honey... pass the straws please, I need something to grasp
Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Amazing. ...on the internet, you really get a 1000 lives.....you could get burned every day...and keep coming back...
Old 11-27-2013, 10:16 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Amazing. ...on the internet, you really get a 1000 lives.....you could get burned every day...and keep coming back...
^^^ Yep.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2013, 10:23 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by rcallen484
^^^ Yep.
You're completely nuts.... (in a good way..) loll
Old 11-28-2013, 07:15 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

If you remember a lot of members were monitoring the weather when the C7 and the Z28 were in Germany, and there was a lot of rain and fog.

If the only time the Z28 could muster up is a 7:37 finishing in the rain after weeks of testing at the Ring, lets face it the probability of the Z51 getting a clean lap are slim to none.

I'm sure the Porsche number was the target. Even if they got a lap in conditions similar to the Z28, if it was not faster than the Porsche then it probably was not worth talking about. JMO
Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vette friend
If you remember a lot of members were monitoring the weather when the C7 and the Z28 were in Germany, and there was a lot of rain and fog.

If the only time the Z28 could muster up is a 7:37 finishing in the rain after weeks of testing at the Ring, lets face it the probability of the Z51 getting a clean lap are slim to none.

I'm sure the Porsche number was the target. Even if they got a lap in conditions similar to the Z28, if it was not faster than the Porsche then it probably was not worth talking about. JMO
Good post!

Using your logic though why would they post the Z28 time? These times are hugely important and with the Z being a "track car" they would want to post it's optimum time as well, right?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Nurburgring time

Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM
vette friend
Instructor

When the Camaro guys posted their video they also said the conditions reduced the lap time by several seconds.

Based on history, we know the Corvette guys always have a ton of data. Even if they didn't get a lap, it would be nice to know what they feel the car was capable of based on their data.

Gould be an interesting Bash seminar. Someone here know Roc?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:29 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Using your logic though why would they post the Z28 time? These times are hugely important and with the Z being a "track car" they would want to post it's optimum time as well, right?
I'm guessing that they beat the ZL1 and they really had no other competition in their class as a target. However they did add that the car had the ability to go several seconds faster.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Good post!

Because it will be important for the C7 to get it's "best" time relative to the 911S. The 911S would have been tested in optimal conditions and the C7 will need to as well. If they published "compromised" times with a caveat, that will still be compared to the 911S in ideal conditions. The Z28 has no direct benchmark really and is very low volume for GM... so, the very strong time in less than ideal conditions can be posted with the caveat that they could be even faster. VERY different marketing objectives and, therefore, very different need to get the C7 time under ideal conditions if the benchmark is the 911S. Keep in mind, they have bettered the 911S in every timed track test that has been published... you would expect nothing different at the 'Ring... GM wants the best conditions to get the correct spread between the cars.

All speculation at this point but that's all we have

Originally Posted by vette friend
I'm guessing that they beat the ZL1 and they really had no other competition in their class as a target. However they did add that the car had the ability to go several seconds faster.
Exactly!!

Last edited by gthal; 11-28-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: C7 Nurburgring time