C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob question regarding jacking up your C7?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 AM
rayw1128
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob question regarding jacking up your C7?

I just put in the jacking pucks into the four holes at the corner of the C7 and had two questions...

1, the jack I have is a lighter duty jack and has a smaller cup (the contact point between the jack and the vehicle) than the diameter of the pucks. Anyone know if its safe to use the jack? I'm guessing the downward pressure of the vehicle will hold it in place even if the pucks do not fit inside the cup on the jack?

2, Once I raise the car with the jack at the point of the puck, where does one put the jack stand? Looking beneath the vehicle, I do not see a suitable location to put the jack stand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Check this out:

http://www.toquez06.com/jacking.html
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I don't use a jackstand at all.

From his pic, it looks like I have the same Harbor Freight jack that Glen has and I simply place a piece 2 x 6 between the jack's arm and frame, release the jack slightly to place much of the load on the wood and it is perfectly safe.

Of course, I only jack one corner at a time with this method
Old 11-26-2013, 12:04 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

When the C-6 came out, someone did a schematic on where to put the jack stands. That'll be coming soon for the C-7, I'm sure.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by rayw1128
I just put in the jacking pucks into the four holes at the corner of the C7 and had two questions...

1, the jack I have is a lighter duty jack and has a smaller cup (the contact point between the jack and the vehicle) than the diameter of the pucks. Anyone know if its safe to use the jack? I'm guessing the downward pressure of the vehicle will hold it in place even if the pucks do not fit inside the cup on the jack?

2, Once I raise the car with the jack at the point of the puck, where does one put the jack stand? Looking beneath the vehicle, I do not see a suitable location to put the jack stand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I have a jack like that I used on my C5 and C6. As the jack comes up the jack will roll a little and slide some on the puck but it will stay under the puck. You shouldn't have a problem. It has worked well for me for 16 years.

Take a look under the cradle. That is where you install jackstands on the C5 and C6 and I don't see why they would change it for the C7. Probably the same rules apply. Don't support it under just one rib but make sure the jackstand is located under two ribs of the cradle so you aren't putting too much load on one aluminum edge. No need for cross beam adapters.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Noob question regarding jacking up your C7?

Quick Reply: Noob question regarding jacking up your C7?